Quantcast

Boxxer Rebuild

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I need to rebuild my boxxer fork after a season of mostly abuse. This is my first boxxer, and I'm used to the more heavily sealed avalanche, so I mangled one of my stantions when I unknowingly ran out of oil.

So, I'm going to order me up a fresh air stantion, new seals and dust wipers, and a new rebound adjuster, but I'm wondering what else (or what not) I need to rebuild the fork and get it into top shape. It worked great when I first got it, but I just failed to take care of it and now I want to return it to where it was (and should be).

Right now I'm thinking a number 4, 7, and 11 (since it looks like my bottom out bumper is missing). Do I need an 18? Anything else?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I know that you know this already but PUSH has the rebound assembly done and the compression is on the way (on the way meaning it could be available tomorrow or as late as, well your guess is as good as mine).

I haven't heard much on it but the little I have heard has been positive and given the price, it seems like you couldn't go wrong with it. Anyway, I bet if you sent the fork to them they could take care of a lot of the other internal stuff and seals for you at the same time you get a nice little internal upgrade. They may or may not have a spare stanchion however.

I personally would start there so I don't have to worry about ordering the right stuff but I am lazy like that:D If you like to do your own suspension work then my suggestion is moot unless you want the new rebound, which you can buy and install yourself and save a little money in the process making this suggestion not so moot afterall....I guess;).

Ok, so I know this doesn't help answer your question about the parts you need but I just thought I would mention the PUSH option since it seems to be a viable option. I will let one of the "boxxer experts" or someone more suspension savvy than me help you with the parts, you don't want me to take you down that path:D

Good luck w/the project.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I would recommend the PUSH diy kit if you are technically competent. They have done a good job of giving you what you need (minus the stanchion) to freshen the fork. Given that you mention a bottom out bumper I wonder if you have the 2010 Boxxer and if that's the case the PUSH kit isn't for you anyways. I'd recommend some Slick Honey, a bottle of good 5wt oil, a bottle of ok 20wt oil, seals/scrapers, and the needed tools as listed in the SRAM service documents to disassemble and reassemble your fork. You'll also want a way to measure out the oil your putting in. I've found satisfaction with a turkey baster with the distance from the tip to 205mm measured and marked on the side to set the oil level. :D

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Ok, so I know this doesn't help answer your question about the parts you need but I just thought I would mention the PUSH option since it seems to be a viable option. I will let one of the "boxxer experts" or someone more suspension savvy than me help you with the parts, you don't want me to take you down that path:D
I was going to suggest the same exact thing.

If you are already going to order the seals and a rebound assembly it would be silly not to buy from Push. The Push Boxxer kit comes with dust and oil seals, a shimmed rebound assembly that is 100% kick ass and far superior seal housing assembly.

The stock MOCO unit on the Boxxer is pretty good and actually feels better once you correct the rebound issues the Boxxer had with the Push upgrade. I was able to really test my Push upgrade for the first time at Platty last weekend(Last chance for Glory) and I was blown away by how much better my fork/bike tracked. I am now able to keep control when I lose my line in rough rocks, I have more control period and brake dive is greatly reduced.

If you need the bottom out bumpers just buy the Boxxer rebuild kit along with the Push DIY kit. You can use the seals mid-season next year and all of the o-rings will still be used with the exception of 2 o-rings on the crappy plastic seal housing and the glide ring on the rebound assembly.

Last edited:

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
I'm considering getting this kit too because I have a small amount of leaking from my rebound adjuster, and it's not much more for the PUSH kit than the vanilla rebound assembly. Question is will it replace the part responsible for the leak...

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Jason, the bottom out bumpers are thin 1/8-1/4" rubber pads that sit at the bottom of each leg of the lowers to stop metal on metal bottoming.

Sandwich, the bumpers are #18 and do come in the Boxxer service kit. I also have 2 of them that I can mail to you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks for the tips dudes. I might call PUSH to see what they can do for rebuilding/upgrading a boxxer...otherwise it looks like all I really need is the stantion, wipers and seals, possibly bushings if I'm hello screwed.

Can anybody tell me if oil will leak from the bottom of the fork if the rebound adjuster knob is removed? I haven't heard of this, but I know there's supposed to be a hole in the bolt...I want to make sure I don't lose all my oil....again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh yeah, I don't think i need to rebuild the damper yet, just the lowers since at least one seal is destroyed, and it's a second hand fork so I'm not sure what's missing.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Thanks for the tips dudes. I might call PUSH to see what they can do for rebuilding/upgrading a boxxer...otherwise it looks like all I really need is the stantion, wipers and seals, possibly bushings if I'm hello screwed.

Can anybody tell me if oil will leak from the bottom of the fork if the rebound adjuster knob is removed? I haven't heard of this, but I know there's supposed to be a hole in the bolt...I want to make sure I don't lose all my oil....again.
The oil will not leak without a rebound adjuster knob :thumb:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I think your list looks good assuming the bushings are good. They probably are. To check them, compress the fork and check for play like you would in a headset. There will be play at full extention. It is supposed to be there for lubing purposes but many people confuse that for worn bushings.

Get some slick honey, good oil (MX is fine, RS uses Torco), some alcohol rags, etc and take your time. The directions on the SRAM site are pretty good.

Here is an oil chart for you: http://www.mediaturbo.com/clients/marzocchi/forkoilviscosity.html

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What's actually wrong with the stanchion? if it's gouged at all, then I'd say the bushing is screwed and a new stanchion will likely suffer the same fate.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There's a scratch from a previous owner...it's not very deep, but I do think it's responsible for leaking seals. It doesn't seem too bad, but between that and the "sandpaper" effect that my dry seals had on it, it seems worth replacing.

Not sure of your exact definition of "gouged" in this case.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I had that happen with my boxxer on my Sunday and the seals will only last about a two weeks if the stanchions are worn. Do yourself a favor and replace the them. Also you might want to think about new lowers if you are really trying to make everything legit on a secondhand fork. The lowers come with new bushings and seals so its not that bad of a deal. I did it on mine and its worked like perfect every since. Just make sure on the new stanchions to clean them after every ride and use some tri-flow around the seals before every ride. The fork will then treat you well.