Quantcast

boxxer ride or shiver or sell both?

mfreak

Chimp
Feb 12, 2009
i bought a black diamond triple and it came with a boxxer ride and a o4 shiver. so i am wondering what one should i use for a do all fork? or should i put them on ebay and buy a nicer fork like a fox 40 or a 888? im on a shoe string budget but i plan on going to most east coast riding spots in the next year or two.

thanks for the info in advance!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Shiver. Try to see if you can find a seal kit for it first, just google it and you should be able to find one.
Otherwise, the Shiver has much better damping than the Ride (although the Ride is a good fork as well).
I had an '04 Shiver and loved it.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Shiver. Try to see if you can find a seal kit for it first, just google it and you should be able to find one.
Otherwise, the Shiver has much better damping than the Ride (although the Ride is a good fork as well).
I had an '04 Shiver and loved it.
Here's a link to a seal kit (picked randomly from google)
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=FK9656

Just so you have it on hand, pretty sure Marzocchi doesn't have any more.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Shiver is an extremely competent fork for a beginner. I'd stick with that. It'll last you years before you need to worry. By the time you're good enough for it to matter, you can buy something else.

If you're pedaling and riding more freeride, then the boxxer is a good choice.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Which boxxer ride? Motion Control* one or earlier? If it's a Motion Control one then you basically have a 7inch travel Boxxer team there - I'd rock that over the Shivers!

*identifiable by the blue knob with flood gate adjuster on the damper leg

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I'd sell both and pick up an 06/07 888 or Boxxer Team.

The Shiver was an awesome fork in it's day, but damping has come along way since.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'd sell both and pick up an 06/07 888 or Boxxer Team.
If it is a 06 Ride, I can't see the reason in selling it.

You can buy a 8in spring assy kit cheap, either air or coil, and drop it in place of the u-turn spring. I did swap mine with WC air assy and thus got a WC, no worry about the "honed" stanchions, my fork performs well and is also reliable with a proper amount of love. The only reason I need to sell it is how much it flexes and leaks oil under braking since I got Code brakes. With my previous set of 2pot brakes, it was flawless.

This is how mine looks in 203mm mode:

Last edited:

mfreak

Chimp
Feb 12, 2009
i think its a 06 but its the oem model so it goes from 178mm to 130mm with no thrills. do you think a spring kit and motion control would fit it to change it over?

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
If it looks the same as mine, it IS 06 and should also have the MC damping (blue + small gold dial). If it's 05, you can still use the chassis and new internals to make it 8 inch, but having to buy the MC damping cartridge on top of spring assy would make it too expensive. Possibly you could run the stock 05 damper provided the fork can extend to 203mm, but I can't confirm this.