Quantcast

Boxxer Service Question

Rider15

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
I recently did a service on my lowers (new lube oil and grease on the seals) and all seemly went well. One difference I noticed was that upon flicking through the different compression adjustments they felt slightly different then before. Usually on the 6th click of LSC it locks out the fork, now I can push it down roughly half way through the travel before locks out. Same for the 5th click except that it compresses deeper into the travel before locking out. On all other setting it feels fine and feels smoother then before the service. Just wondering why this is so and if its normal? This is on an 08 boxxer race.

Thanks.

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Take out your damper and check oil height... I'm pretty sure I saw a spec on the svc manual you can dl from rock shox site so you don't have to empty and re-measure the volume. I bet you don't have enough oil in the top right side.

Rider15

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
Not really sure why that would change anything as I only replaced the lubrication oil in the lowers and greased the seals. Did not touch the damper oil at all. The only thing I can think of is I may not have had the LSC to open, wether that changes anything or if thats only relevent when I changing the damping oil.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'd agree with davec's post without feeling/seeing the fork myself, strange that it'd only do it after your rebuild (and not before) if you didn't touch the damper.

Check the oil level in the damper anyway, should be 150ml (if you can't be arsed doing the oil height thing, drain it into a container, and make sure 150ml goes back in, go for 155-160ml to be sure if you want - a tiny bit extra won't hurt).

Failing that, it'd be worth checking that the damper oil hasn't escaped into the lowers somehow (this can happen via a failed o-ring on the seal head at the base of the stanchion, or occasionally the seal head actually breaks away the bottom of the stanchion - hopefully this didn't happen to you - means a new stanchion is needed).