Quantcast

Boxxer Spring Spacers - how many?

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Whilst servicing my 08 Boxxer Race I noticed some vertical slop in the spring shaft, and it turns out that the spring can move up and down inside the stanchion a few mm. This seems a little odd to me as I would have thought the spring would be snug at full extension (but not preloaded). I have two spacers on top of the spring, which I believe to be the correct amount.

Perhaps it is to reduce topout, but isn't that dealt with by the spring at the top of the spring shaft? Hopefully someone knows.

Last edited:

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
I thought that the minimum preload spacers in the 08 was 1. That's all that I ran in mine andf it was fine. Could it be possible that it isn't actually moving up and down and is just rattling against the side of the stanction? More grease and a few cc of oil should fix that. If that's not the issue maybe it is possible something else is wrong at the lower end?

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
I'm pretty sure the spring is moving up and down inside. I could get another spacer turned to make up the difference? The spring IS definately supposed to be snug right?

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Yeah, All the Boxxers that I have serviced that are that design I have had to press down on the cap firmly as I attempt to catch the thread inside the stanction in order to seal it all up! If this aint happening for you I would suggest that a) Something is up with the spring b) there are some worrying issues at the bottom of that side of the fork.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The spring on my 06 boxxer team has started to sag a bit I think - had to put some extra spacers (10p coins IIRC) in there a few months ago.