Quantcast

Boxxer Stanchions

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I was wondering if it would be safe to get a current model boxxer stanchion on the lathe, and take 1mm or so out of the ID?

I had a look at some Sherman Slider stanchions, which are a lot, thinner in section, but are also 32mm OD, and I don't think I've ever heard of any of them breaking. Was Rock Shox playing it safe?

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Hell no it wont be safe!:disgust1:

Unless you really like plastic surgery and buying your Dentist a new Merc!

They are that thick for a reason, and Rockshox arent renowned for playing it that safe!

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I should have mentioned its not for weight.

I want to try and get a TPC compression piston from a Sherman Slider into it, but it doesn't quite fit.

So with that in mind, and the fact that the drilled out area would only be ~8" down (mostly between the crowns) I think it'd be alright.

That said it may be easier to take a bit off the OD of the piston and put a seal from a Boxxer rebound piston on it.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
WHy are you trying to put a TPC valve in a boxxer?
Someting to try. May be better, may be worse.

But at least I'll be able to get the LSC where I want it, unlike a MoCo Boxxer. And also TPC is very nice, smooth and supple, doesn't spike, and much more tunable.

Just an experiment really.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
it would be better to mill down the piston. then you keep the coating and strength of the stanchions.
Maybe even make the piston yourself completely?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Someting to try. May be better, may be worse.

But at least I'll be able to get the LSC where I want it, unlike a MoCo Boxxer. And also TPC is very nice, smooth and supple, doesn't spike, and much more tunable.

Just an experiment really.
i love how casually people throw this term around

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
seen the blackbox speedstack tuning thread? you can make your moco boxxer compression cart work in any way you want. if low speed compression tuning range is you main issue, you can machine your own adjuster, should be easier than anything mentioned before.

And also TPC is very nice, smooth and supple, doesn't spike, and much more tunable.
Uh wow, every instance I have heard about TPC has completly contradicted that statement. But if you wanna run TPC, be ready to give up full travel, gain serious spikes, annoying knocking noises,poor dampening, and anysort of actual suspension....enjoy

If your Boxxer is spiking, fire the mechanic, I mean monkey you use to work on your bike

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I was wondering if it would be safe to get a current model boxxer stanchion on the lathe, and take 1mm or so out of the ID?

I had a look at some Sherman Slider stanchions, which are a lot, thinner in section, but are also 32mm OD, and I don't think I've ever heard of any of them breaking. Was Rock Shox playing it safe?
Call up RockShox & see what they say ! lol:popcorn:

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I've decided not to bother with it because the Sherman Top Cap has a different thread diameter to the Boxxer Stanchion.

I was only going to do it if it was quick and easy (almost drop in) which it won't be.

Don't know what's up with you TPC haters. Every TPC Dorado or Sherman I've felt has been superb. You can have a lot of LSC without the fork getting skittish on flat rough turns like a MoCo boxxer will. You're not getting mixed up with SPV are you?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
its a matter of stats....the number of dorados that blew up compared to the number that road well. same with shermans

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
its a matter of stats....the number of dorados that blew up compared to the number that road well. same with shermans
Got those stats on hand?

And how exactly do you ""blow"" a dorado tpc cartridge, hhmmm?

Uh wow, every instance I have heard about TPC has completly contradicted that statement. But if you wanna run TPC, be ready to give up full travel, gain serious spikes, annoying knocking noises,poor dampening, and anysort of actual suspension....enjoy
Everyone you have ""heard"" of, as in you have no first hand experience??

:plthumbsdown:

Yeh, its not like the xvert carbon and dorado were THE best and (in the case of the xvert carbon) lightest DH forks and won a **** load of races and left the boxxers for dead.......

My dorado and xvert was as flexy as a noodle but the damper worked flawlessly if you took the time and knew how to bleed the sealed cartridge properly.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Why not just buy an 03/4 TPC Dorado? Assuming you can get the seals and springs, and don't mind the flex, i reckon the dampening would be better than the majority of the forks going at the moment. From experience a TPC dorado, with the Evil Genius seals, run on Torco, feels brilliant. Bearing in mind that they need a monthly rebuild.