Quantcast

Boxxer Tech questions...

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
MotionControl problem here. (Boxxer WorldCup 2007)

The bottom hole can't open at its maximum. When my LSC is as low as I can get, there is still some part than won't open.

So, my 3 last clicks of LSC are the same, because the hole is fully closed at these 3 positions.

And somthing crossed my mind. Can I run my Boxxer without my MC? Obviously, the answer is no, but I don't use my MC at all, so what's the use? Can I remove/put/modify something?

And second question, my rebound knob just won't turn. I opened my stanchion, changed the o-rings on the rebound damper, greased it, reassembled my fork and it won't turn again. But when my damper was out, I could easily turn my adjustement. Tips?

And the fork just came back from Lambert. They changed bushings, and did a ''E1'' service. The fork isn't as smooth as WC are supposed to be.

Sorry if I am not in the right category.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The opening and closing of the gate is not an exact adjustment. You will find there is some rotational slop between the shaft and the gate...giving a slight change in damping at the same 'setting' depending which way you just turned the knob. it is also possible to install the gate 180* from where it should be..but it does not sound like that is the issue here. All that matters is that you can open and close it enough to get the damping you want.

I would suggest using some LSC and proper gate blow-off adjustment as it will keep the fork up in its travel and ride much more predictibly with little to no loss of 'plushness'....but if you run the damper all the way open, it does not matter if the 'last two clicks are the same'.....

As for the rebound knob, you tightened the footnut with the rebound knob cranked to one extreme. Loosen the footnut a bit to take the tension off the rebound knob... then turn the knob a bit..then tighten the foot nut again.

Last edited:

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
but if you run the damper all the way open, it does not matter if the 'last two clicks are the same'.....
This is the problem here...I can't run it fully open.

I was thinking to file down the black ''stoppers'' to make the LSC turn more and open completely.

As for the rebound, you solved my problem. Thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am willing to bet that you will not find any difference if you modify the fork to open the gate all the way. The oil must pass through the HSC shim stack once it passes through the gate. For the gate opening to be the cause of the damping you are trying to eliminate, it would have to impede the flow of oil more so than the HSC stack.

Remember, the gate is also able to open (depending on the gate threshold setting) around its entire circumfrence (if the gate is indeed small enough to cause a pressure drop) to flow very large amounts of oil.

If you are really trying to ride with zero LSC damping, just remove the gate valve. If you want less HSC, remove the shim stack.

What are you trying to accomplish with this? You seem to be trying to set up your fork exactly the opposite of how the vast majority (every one I know or have hard of) set up the Boxxer. The best feature of the Boxxer IMO is the ability to run some LSC to prevent wallow and over-travel yet set the gate threshold low enough to have little to no ill effect to the HSC.

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
Because I saw the image on the Boxxer Service Guide (above), and it seemed like mine doesn't open all the way like their.

And I am considering removing the shimstack.

ignitor

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
Didn't know wwhere to post this so i thought i would put it here.

Is the dampening oil sealed in the stanchions or when I remove the lower legs will the damping oil all run out

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Didn't know wwhere to post this so i thought i would put it here.

Is the dampening oil sealed in the stanchions or when I remove the lower legs will the damping oil all run out
Nope, all sealed in the starboard stantion.

ignitor

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
I took the lower legs off and put them bak on fine but I have one other query.

There was some gloopy looking oil coming out of the left leg shaft. So do I have to top up the oil in the left stanchion now?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I took the lower legs off and put them bak on fine but I have one other query.

There was some gloopy looking oil coming out of the left leg shaft. So do I have to top up the oil in the left stanchion now?
That's just grease on the spring that's slowely been "watered" down by the lower lube oil. As you have probably seen, the spring side stantion is not sealed at the bottom, so oil can move freely around.