Quantcast

Boxxer top out clunk

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
My 08 Boxxer team seems to be having a kind of top out issue. When I lift the fork off the ground the lowers seem to drop about 4-5mm and make a clunking sort of noise. I know they always sag a little under there own weight and have a bit of free movement at the very start of the stroke but it's more noticeable on my forks than all my mate's Boxxers.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
When was the last time they were FULLY serviced - low in fluid perhaps ???

A friend of mine Boxxers did that after they had been weeping fluid for a long time. Turns out the forks pumped the oil out to the point where they topped out, they then proceeded to top out so bad that the bottom of the stanchion broke off were the circlip is. Quite common I was told :rolleyes:

Just a thought.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
When was the last time they were FULLY serviced - low in fluid perhaps ???

A friend of mine Boxxers did that after they had been weeping fluid for a long time. Turns out the forks pumped the oil out to the point where they topped out, they then proceeded to top out so bad that the bottom of the stanchion broke off were the circlip is. Quite common I was told :rolleyes:

Just a thought.
Fully serviced never, I've done about 30hrs on them. Last lower service was 5~ish hours ago. Considering where the rebound piston is, it seems odd that they could leak damper oil to the point where they topped out. That's a $hitload of oil to lose.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Fully serviced never, I've done about 30hrs on them. Last lower service was 5~ish hours ago. Considering where the rebound piston is, it seems odd that they could leak damper oil to the point where they topped out. That's a $hitload of oil to lose.
I'd give them a full service and see how they go then .

You do not have to lose to much oil to get top out BTW. My 66's were only 30ml short and started topping out ;)

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia

You do not have to lose to much oil to get top out BTW. My 66's were only 30ml short and started topping out ;)
The rebound piston is submerged a long way down in the stanchion in the Boxxers, so there should always be rebound damping at the top of the stroke unless you lose like 140cc of oil.

I'll service them anyway though, going on a 10 day road trip on Tuesday! :)

Last edited:

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006

Ah yes but with 66's the rebound and compression locations are switched compared to a boxxer, you would have to lose practically all the oil from a boxxer for it to start topping out from lack of oil. All that oil ending up in the lowers would be noticeable long before the top out started.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Ah yes but with 66's the rebound and compression locations are switched compared to a boxxer, you would have to lose practically all the oil from a boxxer for it to start topping out from lack of oil. All that oil ending up in the lowers would be noticeable long before the top out started.
After 30 hours of riding I would expect a full service is overdue.
As of right now nobody has any idea what quantity of oil the forks have in them, and certainly could not comment on its condition. It certainly isn't going to hurt to do a change.
Your point about the oil ending up in the lowers, you would be surprised at how many people would just think "gee my forks feel harsh today" as they hydraulic their way down the hill.
My Totems dumped the oil a few weeks back and it just felt harsh on the big hits, just as well I new better, got off and went home to fix the problem ( leaking rebound seal causing oil to fill lowers ).

Anyways, good to see you over here :thumb: :rofl:

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
After 30 hours of riding I would expect a full service is overdue.
As of right now nobody has any idea what quantity of oil the forks have in them, and certainly could not comment on its condition. It certainly isn't going to hurt to do a change.
Your point about the oil ending up in the lowers, you would be surprised at how many people would just think "gee my forks feel harsh today" as they hydraulic their way down the hill.
My Totems dumped the oil a few weeks back and it just felt harsh on the big hits, just as well I new better, got off and went home to fix the problem ( leaking rebound seal causing oil to fill lowers ).

Anyways, good to see you over here :thumb: :rofl:
I dunno. RS say 50 hrs for the full service, but I may as well. Everything needs some attention today after riding in the pouring rain. :D My X9 shifter appears to have stopped working thouhg. :mad:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

With the rebound piston on the bottom of the damper, you would need to loose ALL of the damper fluid to loose rebound at top-out. You would loose all compression damping first, then the rebound at full travel, then the fork would hydro-lock as the oil fills the losers.

Bushing/lower lube needs frequent service. The damper is sealed and annual or semi-annual service is all that is needed. Pulling the lowers will tell you if the lower seal head is OK. There is no reason or benefit to open the damper regularly.

They are quite different that an open bath Marz fork.

Can you differentiate the 'slop' in the movement? Is is a lack of damping or spring force? In your original description, it almost sound like your spring does not have enough preload. I dont remember the minimum number of pre-load spacers (two I think), but it is not uncommon for a spring to take a set...and require a bit more preload.

Last edited:

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
hopefully before you opened your X9 shifter you already knew how insanely painful it is to reassemble.
I've had it happen so many times now I can do the whole disassemble and rebuild in about 15 minutes. Even then I always thought the terrible cable change system was the worst thing about the X9/0 shifters, and I can do that fast enough now too.

With the rebound piston on the bottom of the damper, you would need to loose ALL of the damper fluid to loose rebound at top-out. You would loose all compression damping first, then the rebound at full travel, then the fork would hydro-lock as the oil fills the losers.

Bushing/lower lube needs frequent service. The damper is sealed and annual or semi-annual service is all that is needed. Pulling the lowers will tell you if the lower seal head is OK. There is no reason or benefit to open the damper regularly.

They are quite different that an open bath Marz fork.

Can you differentiate the 'slop' in the movement? Is is a lack of damping or spring force? In your original description, it almost sound like your spring does not have enough preload. I dont remember the minimum number of pre-load spacers (two I think), but it is not uncommon for a spring to take a set...and require a bit more preload.
Umm well it definitely makes a click when i lift the fork off the ground. Having a lack of spring preload wouldn't do this, there would just be a little bit of free play before the spring engaged. It's not this... I don't see how it could possibly be a damper issue. My rebound damper is still totally normal and works as per usual. I'm confused. :confused: Where's S. (ocket)?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Acadian - Viv's fork is a team, not a WC. It could still be a crimping failure but I've never seen that happen in the teams personally.

I'd just make sure you have the right amount of preload (not too much, not too little) and rebuild the whole fork with fresh grease everywhere it's needed - on the spring and spring side assemblies especially.

If the problem is still there after that, at least you've now eliminated all maintenance related causes.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I've had it happen so many times now I can do the whole disassemble and rebuild in about 15 minutes. Even then I always thought the terrible cable change system was the worst thing about the X9/0 shifters, and I can do that fast enough now too.
First time is always the worst.... they really are not that hard to work on once you have done it once or twice

[snip]

Umm well it definitely makes a click when i lift the fork off the ground. Having a lack of spring preload wouldn't do this, there would just be a little bit of free play before the spring engaged. It's not this... I don't see how it could possibly be a damper issue. My rebound damper is still totally normal and works as per usual. I'm confused. :confused: Where's S. (ocket)?

It could def be a lack of spring preoload. If all preload is coming off of the spring as you lift it, it is possible that your spring is bouncing around freely at that point.

Unless your really, really lite, you shouldnt be seeing much if any sag on your fork from the weight of the bike alone......

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
I took the forks apart and got the spring and spring side assembly out and gave it all a fresh coat of grease, everything seemed to be as normal. I didn't undo the circlip though, but I did take everything else out (compression rod and baseplate or whatever you call that bit).

Anyway I put the stanchions back in the fork and compressed the spring side a little and it still tops out. Good thing is that it's definitely something to do with the spring side.

There are 3 preload spacers and the fork seems to have adequate preload. There is no free play in the spring assembly.

Any ideas?

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
What did the shrinkwrap on the spring look like? was it still in place? torn up???
As normal. Wouldn't it be clicking when it compressed not when it fully extended if that was the issue?

Spring may be in the wrong way though... i put the end with the shrinkwrap very close to the end of the spring at the top cap end. I don't really see how this could make a difference though.

The top out spring seems all normal too.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Springs do weird things when the wrap is either worn or in the wrong location, I was thinking that possibly it was hitting an exposed coil if it was torn up... I dont remember which way it goes in your particular fork though..... 888's and 40s you get that tingy clicky sound as it goes through the travel, but I have hear what soudns like a top out clunk when the wrap has slid/wound down teh spring before... specially on thicker springs like RS uses<and other one sided sping style forks>

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
try this...
adjust rebound to slowest and see if fork slows down
adjust compression to hardest and see if fork locks..if it does...get someone to sit on the front wheel and try to pull and push on the fork to see if theres play.... if theres > 3mm play then you might not have enough oil in damper..

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
It definitely appears to be topping out, just looking at it, so I'd guess not a spring issue.

try this...
adjust rebound to slowest and see if fork slows down
adjust compression to hardest and see if fork locks..if it does...get someone to sit on the front wheel and try to pull and push on the fork to see if theres play.... if theres > 3mm play then you might not have enough oil in damper..
Cheers, already established it's a spring side issue, not a damper issue though.

The spring side shouldn't top out on it's own should it? (as in with the fork out of the crowns)

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
It definitely appears to be topping out, just looking at it, so I'd guess not a spring issue.

Cheers, already established it's a spring side issue, not a damper issue though.

The spring side shouldn't top out on it's own should it? (as in with the fork out of the crowns)
well the spring shrinks a few mm after a year or so of riding...put an extra shim in the spring and see if you can live with it...if not then get a new spring...

ive had this happen to my 07 and 09 boxxer...and my friends have this problem as well..

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I took the forks apart and got the spring and spring side assembly out and gave it all a fresh coat of grease, everything seemed to be as normal. I didn't undo the circlip though, but I did take everything else out (compression rod and baseplate or whatever you call that bit).

Anyway I put the stanchions back in the fork and compressed the spring side a little and it still tops out. Good thing is that it's definitely something to do with the spring side.

There are 3 preload spacers and the fork seems to have adequate preload. There is no free play in the spring assembly.

Any ideas?
The spring side alone will always top out, there's no damping. Usually won't matter if there's the correct amount of preload or not, it'll overshoot the top of the positive spring anyway.

Here's what you need to do: pull the fork out of the crowns. Push the damper side down, and pull it back up by hand - you should be able to feel some resistance. DON'T pull it hard against the top out, this seems to be able to hyperextend it so that the top of the stanchion is above the top of the lower bushing or something. As long as there's some resistance, you're all good on that side. Next you need to ascertain exactly what is going on in the spring side - can you move the stanchion up and down in the lowers at top-out? In other words, is there free play? Or when you pull the stanchion up (firmly but without really forcing it), then push it back down, can you feel a certain amount of preload that you have to overcome before it moves at all? If there's free play (which sounds most likely), you need some more preload spacers, if you can feel the preload then that might be your problem (especially if there's a lot of it).

Next thing to check is the top-out base plate. With the stanchion out of the lowers and the spring out of the stanchion, pull the spring compression rod down (ie extend it) as far as it goes, to make sure the base plate is hard against the retaining circlip. From there, use an allen key or whatever to try to push the base plate back up away from the circlip. If there's play there (shouldn't be and is relatively unlikely), you need to sort that out.

It's also possible (and this one happens all the friggin time) that your rebound adjuster has backed itself out a bit - especially if you're missing the red knob on the bottom which seems to provide a bit of friction against the foot bolt. If you run your rebound fast anyway then you legitimately might not notice this one.

If all of that doesn't solve your problem, sell your fork and take up video games, cos there is a God and he doesn't like you :)

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
well the spring shrinks a few mm after a year or so of riding...put an extra shim in the spring and see if you can live with it...if not then get a new spring...

ive had this happen to my 07 and 09 boxxer...and my friends have this problem as well..
If it's just the spring doing that then it's fine, it's just a noise. I'm just worried about possible damage to the fork if it's topping out.

The spring side alone will always top out, there's no damping. Usually won't matter if there's the correct amount of preload or not, it'll overshoot the top of the positive spring anyway.

Here's what you need to do: pull the fork out of the crowns. Push the damper side down, and pull it back up by hand - you should be able to feel some resistance. DON'T pull it hard against the top out, this seems to be able to hyperextend it so that the top of the stanchion is above the top of the lower bushing or something. As long as there's some resistance, you're all good on that side.

Doesn't feel like there is that much resistance on rebound. Compression definitely still works though. I dunno about how much rebound damping it would have by hand, when I pull the leg up fast-ish it feels like there is some resistance, not as much as on compression though. (running a fair bit of LSC though, and I usually run my rebound fully fast) Even if I fully close the rebound it still doesn't have much resistance. I'm thinking this could be the issue. Also I can't fully compress the damper side without it wanting to return. I'm sure all boxxers do this, but it doesn't make sense in my head. Also if I compress it really far it seems to rebound almost like there's a spring in it.

Next you need to ascertain exactly what is going on in the spring side - can you move the stanchion up and down in the lowers at top-out? In other words, is there free play? Or when you pull the stanchion up (firmly but without really forcing it), then push it back down, can you feel a certain amount of preload that you have to overcome before it moves at all? If there's free play (which sounds most likely), you need some more preload spacers, if you can feel the preload then that might be your problem (especially if there's a lot of it).

Nup no free play or preload issues. Isn't there a top out spring on the LHS of the fork though? There is that spring that is on the bottom of the plate that compresses the spring, which is connected to the compression rod. It seems to me that this would compress slightly on the plate that is held in by the circlip, eliminating top out.

Next thing to check is the top-out base plate. With the stanchion out of the lowers and the spring out of the stanchion, pull the spring compression rod down (ie extend it) as far as it goes, to make sure the base plate is hard against the retaining circlip. From there, use an allen key or whatever to try to push the base plate back up away from the circlip. If there's play there (shouldn't be and is relatively unlikely), you need to sort that out.

Yeah I had a look at that, seems fine though.

It's also possible (and this one happens all the friggin time) that your rebound adjuster has backed itself out a bit - especially if you're missing the red knob on the bottom which seems to provide a bit of friction against the foot bolt. If you run your rebound fast anyway then you legitimately might not notice this one.

I'm kinda missing the red knob, I just leave it out of my fork so I don't lose it. But as said before, I run it as fast as it goes anyway.

If all of that doesn't solve your problem, sell your fork and take up video games, cos there is a God and he doesn't like you :)
I prefer DH to video games. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
when you say topping out, you mean there is some free play at maximum fork extension, right? with the fork out of the crowns, grabbing the spring leg you can move it up and down with no resistance?

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
when you say topping out, you mean there is some free play at maximum fork extension, right? with the fork out of the crowns, grabbing the spring leg you can move it up and down with no resistance?
No, it felt like that on the bike but it's definitely not like that now. I have the fork off the bike and the spring side compresses and extends normally. The spring side on it's own tops out though, but I take it this is normal and what I thought was the top out spring is actually something else.

If its the spring, and it because of a lack of preload. You very well can damage your fork.
Would a lack of preload give the fork free play at the top of the travel? It's definitely not doing this.

Also turns out I didn't turn the rebound adjuster far enough, it got stuck. Anyway, yes there is definitely normal rebound damping. I'll chuck the fork back on the bike and see if it still tops out with the rebound fully damped. (which probably should have been my first port of call :P)

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
With the forks on the bike, if I set the rebound to fully closed the top out goes away. If I open it up slightly (even so it's still unrideably slow), it still has this top out clunk.... weird.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Top out against the top-out spring (which is far far stiffer than the positive spring btw) will still make a metal on metal clunking noise. The spring is just there to protect the fork and slightly reduce initial stiction when you run >0 preload. If you have any preload on the main spring, it will also slightly preload the top-out spring, which means you actually some travel (this is part of the reason why RS advertise their forks as having +/- a few mm of travel). Basically, having more preload on the positive spring means it pushes harder against the negative spring.

Unless you're running an extremely soft spring in there, I can't see why you'd have your rebound set THAT fast (full fast on those things really is too fast, at least with stock springs), and yes that could quite likely cause top-out. Would I be right in guessing that you're running lighter than stock oil?

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Turns out I think it was a preload spacer problem after all. Can I use a metal disc that fits right as a preload spacer>

Last edited:
Turns out I think it was a preload spacer problem after all. Can I use a metal disc that fits right as a preload spacer>
Viv;

I had this mystery for a little while. It lasted about a week and then my forks blew up... :(

My problem was caused through the bolt holding the rebound assembly together coming loose, allowing excess oil through the ports, reducing any rebound damping I had. Eventually on one ride the last few threads of the bolt stripped and the rebound assembly now floating around willy-nilly destroyed itself.

Might be the same problem... might not be.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Viv;

I had this mystery for a little while. It lasted about a week and then my forks blew up... :(

My problem was caused through the bolt holding the rebound assembly together coming loose, allowing excess oil through the ports, reducing any rebound damping I had. Eventually on one ride the last few threads of the bolt stripped and the rebound assembly now floating around willy-nilly destroyed itself.

Might be the same problem... might not be.
Nope.....

With the forks on the bike, if I set the rebound to fully closed the top out goes away. If I open it up slightly (even so it's still unrideably slow), it still has this top out clunk.... weird.

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
I have top out clunk in my -07 Team. I opened up fork completely and everything looked right. Clunk is coming from spring side. There is about 2 mm free movement with clunk sound when fork is fully extended and I'm compressing fork a little. I have 4 preload spacers and yellow spring.

My fork top-out base plate don't have play in it when trying that. But when springis installed, Base plate is not totally tight against the retaining circlip. For example it will move around when moving it. Should it be so tight that it does not move at all? Could this be my problem? And how to solve it?

I took out whole spring side and everything seemed to be right, there was not any free movement in spring shaft.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
What Azn said we not long did the same thing with my buds 08 Boxxer, even the later model 10s say exactly this, not sure if the measurements are the same but look up the Sram guide to check.

For the 2010 Boxxer Team between 14mm and 16mm if more than 16mm from top of spring to top of upper tube add a 2mm preload spacer, steel springs sag after years of riding.

It amazes me how often this is overlooked even when being serviced by the LBS, I had to tell my bud to tell the LBS to do this, problem fixed, so simple.

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
I used to have 2 preload spacers and I add 2 and clunk did not stop. Maybe I try to put 2 more if it helps.