Quantcast

Boxxer v. Totem - save weight or cash?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'm currently on a Nicolai UFO ST with a 7" Boxxer Ride. I'm considering going to a lighter fork, but I'm not sure which move I want to make. The two forks I'm looking at are the 2007 Boxxer World Cup (used) and the Totem Solo Air (used).

The Boxxer World Cup will save about a pound from my current fork and give me better damping and an extra inch of travel.

The Totem will save about a pound and a half and give me the same travel, though with better damping. I'm looking at the 1 & 1/8 version so I won't need to spend an extra chunk of change to swap out my headset and get a new stem (i'm currently running a 1.5->1&1/8th reducer headset and I have a 1&1/8th stem already).

Even going used on the World Cup, I will still be out an extra bit of cash to get it. Though, I figure if I'm going to spend some money, I may as well get the job done right. The difference should be about $300 based on the used forks I'm looking at.

Anything else I should consider?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I thought the consesus was that the World Cup needed a "spring upgrade" to be a great fork? If you're set on air, I don't think this is your fork.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Save weight or cash? Save your life. Go for a 40. Seriously though, just ride what you've got. Spend more money to get to trails and more lift tickets for summer riding.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
You can find some really sweet deals on Totems these days. For me, I prefer the stiffness of the 40MM over the wimpy 32 noodles on the WC. You still get excellent dampening too, so the only negative is the 1 inch of travel.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
I'm currently on a Nicolai UFO ST with a 7" Boxxer Ride. I'm considering going to a lighter fork, but I'm not sure which move I want to make. The two forks I'm looking at are the 2007 Boxxer World Cup (used) and the Totem Solo Air (used).

The Boxxer World Cup will save about a pound from my current fork and give me better damping and an extra inch of travel.

The Totem will save about a pound and a half and give me the same travel, though with better damping. I'm looking at the 1 & 1/8 version so I won't need to spend an extra chunk of change to swap out my headset and get a new stem (i'm currently running a 1.5->1&1/8th reducer headset and I have a 1&1/8th stem already).

Even going used on the World Cup, I will still be out an extra bit of cash to get it. Though, I figure if I'm going to spend some money, I may as well get the job done right. The difference should be about $300 based on the used forks I'm looking at.

Anything else I should consider?
Well, there is one thing, ya can't do this with Boxxer ; ) Seriously though, you can't go wrong with either, loved both the Boxxer & my current Totem :thumb:
I do like the feel & look of the Totem, though.

Attachments

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Listen, tough guy, I'm not throwin' down the X-up's on any bike with any fork :P

What rig are you rockin' these days Inkpad? Smoke-stack says you are back on the Turners. You got that Totem on a Highline?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I thought the consesus was that the World Cup needed a "spring upgrade" to be a great fork? If you're set on air, I don't think this is your fork.
the wc air spring rocks. everybody i know loves theirs & has had zero issues.

i was also pondering the same totem / boxxer descision & came to the conclusion that i prefer the extra travel, and more importantly, the ride height adjustability of the tripple (and x-up-ability isn't a requirement for me). the ability to tweak the h/a via fork height is a good thing. i believe the weight difference is closer to 1/4 lb as well (my stripped wc weights 5.9lbs).

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The feel of the Totem is simply amazing, but the 2007 had very serious seal issues. I had one that was puking oil all over the place and I know several peoples on the NSMB boards have been having the same problem.
It was not a maintenance problem. I did mine very regularly (pulling out the lowers, cleaning, greasing, etc) and in the end of our "relationship" :p , it was litteraly starting leaking oil in the car on my way to the mountain right after a fresh cleaning/rebuild. I ride a Boxxer now. :)

It's a shame because I seriously loved that fork!

apefeet

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
upstate new york
i am currently running a boxxer ride on my mission and went to my ibd and picked up a motion control rebound valve and the whole dampener for around $90. takes about 80ml of oil out of the equation according to rockshox and the fork feels 100% better than the hc3

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Listen, tough guy, I'm not throwin' down the X-up's on any bike with any fork :P

What rig are you rockin' these days Inkpad? Smoke-stack says you are back on the Turners. You got that Totem on a Highline?
Smokie is correct, back on Turners. The bike in the pic is a Highline, which i'm really liking, it is kinda like a jack-of-all trades bike & feels awsome. The bike corners very well, jumps nice & is very predictable in the air, not to mention pedals great!

Attachments

Poindexter

Chimp
Dec 25, 2007
Both forks are great, the determining factor would be are you racing most of the time and free-riding in your spare or free-riding with the occasional race here and there. If your mostly racing go for the WC. But I agree the totem, I like the coil, feels like your riding on cloud of tities.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I used a totem solo air half of last year and never had a problem with it. Coming from a boxxer I found it to be stiffer and smoother through the travel and I never noticed the 1" less travel

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
anyone care to comment on the stiffness comparison between the world cup and the 1&1/8 steer tube totem? i rode my boxxer ride today and noticed the flex and was wondering if i'm going to have similar issues with the world cup since the stanchions are the same diameter and there is an extra inch of travel. help?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
anyone care to comment on the stiffness comparison between the world cup and the 1&1/8 steer tube totem? i rode my boxxer ride today and noticed the flex and was wondering if i'm going to have similar issues with the world cup since the stanchions are the same diameter and there is an extra inch of travel. help?
The Team and WC have the same lowers. If you think one has flex then you will think the same as the other. The Totem is stiffer than the Boxxer and feels better through its travel.

Good luck man!!!