Quantcast

boxxer wc overhaul wtf

BrokenSpoke

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
home land of poutine :D
all right, so i strip the fork using the guide on the rs website, i put it back exaclty how they show using new seals. now the new seals where a real bitch to press in. they are pretty tight. i reinstall the lowers. put air and at 60 psi guess what? the seal just pops off. not just the dust wipper, the seal and the dust wipper. wtf? what can cause this?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Too much air pressure and/or oil in lowers (solo air pressure has nothing to do with it).

Solution:
Compress fork halfway (or more) with cartridge rods pushed up into fork to allow air to escape, before installing and tightening footbolts. Use 15-20ml oil max per lower leg, no more.

Greasing the outside of seals (and receiving area in fork) is also a bad idea, keep them dry, even clean both surfaces with methylated spirits before installation. After both seal and wiper are installed as dry as possible, then you can pack the insides of them with grease.

Good luck - be patient and careful, it may take a few goes. You can test if you did it right by bottoming out the fork (no solo air pressure) to see if the seals pop out again or not.