Quantcast

Boxxer WC vs Fox 40

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay so we have almost everything for the G2 we are building wheels get laced Tuesday. But I am debating forks; do I go full retard and build for weight and buy a Boxxer to save 1 LBS or do I go stiff and somewhat reliable and get the Fox 40? The Fox is a few hundred less BTW???? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Boxxer WC Keronite = 2689 grams (claimed)
Fox 40 = 3104 grams (my math....)

I weigh 212 or so kitted up and run over rocks that are smaller than soccer balls.... not to smooth.

Last edited:

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I have had awesome luck with boxxers. love the feel. I am a light guy so the "flex" people talk about doesnt bother me, and the fact that its over a pound lighter is awesome as well

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Just switched from a 2012 Boxxer WC to to a 2012 40 (skf seal/kashima/flipped damper etc).

I guess the 40 is slightly smoother, so when I'm bouncing up and down on it in my driveway it definitely has an edge. Can't say I notice a huge difference on the trail though. They're both pretty damn tuneable and feel fycking amazing on the trail, and if you think one is head and shoulders better, then you're either a big goober who either doesn't know how to tune suspension and got lucky with one, or you're a big twat who's sponsored and not telling the full story. I serviced the boxxer twice in the year that I owned it, and it was nothing but awesome.

I'm only a buck 70 though, so flex wasn't a huge point of concern with either, they were/are both plenty stiff. First bike was around 38lbs built, second is about 42lbs I can't say I notice any different in the front end other then lifting the bike in my driveway.

My recommendation is buy whichever is cheaper, slap it on your bike, and go ride and have a great time. You'll be happy with either.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2010
Salt Lake City
Wait a week ;)
40 RAD air?
DVO?
this is torture.... Looks like I'll have a 2013 40 for sale shortly :)
Ianjenn, if you can't wait I'd say get the 40 but that is only because I like my 40 a little bit more than the i liked my Boxxer WC. Although I did try some one else's Boxxer WC with an avalanche cartridge and that felt really good and was still very light. Looking forward to seeing your build and finding out how much it weighs.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Being a bigger guy Id go 40 over the Boxxer, Im a Boxxer fan, but I went from a 2011 R2c2 to a 2012 40 and also being a bigger guy I noticed a huge difference to me re stiffness and tracking stability, jme.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I wouldn't be dropping cash on a pair of 40's with the new ones just around the corner.
How far around the corner? I was assuming they won't be available till fall at best.
I'm in the market for a new DH fork and leaning toward the DVO or Dorado, though the lightness of the Boxxer WC is tempting*. I'd ruled the Fox out cuz I like the adjustability of an air spring but would be interested in the RAD.

*I ride in a lot of dust and 9 years of 888s have me used to only 2 oil changes a year. I don't want to have to service this new fork constantly to avoid damage and maintain a decent feel.

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
How far around the corner? I was assuming they won't be available till fall at best.
I'm in the market for a new DH fork and leaning toward the DVO or Dorado, though the lightness of the Boxxer WC is tempting*. I'd ruled the Fox out cuz I like the adjustability of an air spring but would be interested in the RAD.

*I ride in a lot of dust and 9 years of 888s have me used to only 2 oil changes a year. I don't want to have to service this new fork constantly to avoid damage and maintain a decent feel.
Close enough that you would feel bad about buying the old ones

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
New ones will make the old ones cheaper, though that's not a problem for a high end showpiece.

I'd go 40, but I don't like gambling on QC. They changed their anodizing on their stanchions this year, so who knows whether the bushing tolerances have caught up to the new factory yet. The 40 is also much goldier.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I have been trying to get ahold of Manitou for a week now. I have till the 28th when I leave for Fontucky.....

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Manitou was quick in responding to me. So for the Dorado has been great in the 3 races and several other rides its been on.

But if you are set between the two, go with the 40. It is dependable and works great.

-Brett

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay so another Dorado is happening and I will wait for bike 2 to build with a 40 or WC fork.......

THANKS

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rockshox = QC roulette.

you might get a good fork; but there is a non-negligible chance you get a lemon you have to send back for warranty once or twice.
and since missing ride-days for not having a fork is worse than anything; i wouldnt get a boxxer just because of that.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just switched from a 2012 Boxxer WC to to a 2012 40 (skf seal/kashima/flipped damper etc).

I guess the 40 is slightly smoother, so when I'm bouncing up and down on it in my driveway it definitely has an edge. Can't say I notice a huge difference on the trail though. They're both pretty damn tuneable and feel fycking amazing on the trail, and if you think one is head and shoulders better, then you're either a big goober who either doesn't know how to tune suspension and got lucky with one, or you're a big twat who's sponsored and not telling the full story. I serviced the boxxer twice in the year that I owned it, and it was nothing but awesome.

I'm only a buck 70 though, so flex wasn't a huge point of concern with either, they were/are both plenty stiff. First bike was around 38lbs built, second is about 42lbs I can't say I notice any different in the front end other then lifting the bike in my driveway.

My recommendation is buy whichever is cheaper, slap it on your bike, and go ride and have a great time. You'll be happy with either.

I second that opinion. Yes the 40 is smoother and the HSC on the boxxer was (had 2010) worse by quite a bit but it was only noticeable on small fast chutter.

The best way - buy a boxxer WC and slap an ava cart in there.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think I'm the only person ever to have an avy cart and think "meh."

Its not bad by any means, I just don't think it brings anything new to the table - it takes some top performing equipment and makes very little difference to it, and it costs a lot of money. If your fork feels that terrible that you think you need a new damper, maybe its time to look into a rebuild/seal kit.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
I think I'm the only person ever to have an avy cart and think "meh."

Its not bad by any means, I just don't think it brings anything new to the table - it takes some top performing equipment and makes very little difference to it, and it costs a lot of money. If your fork feels that terrible that you think you need a new damper, maybe its time to look into a rebuild/seal kit.
I agree, but you can only get so much out of the Boxxer chassis. A Boxxer RC with the Avy cart comes close to the pricing of the R2D2, that's a no brainer.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I had a 2010 Boxxer WC, 2011 boxxer R2C2, and then a 2012 fox 40. I liked the feel of the 40 a lot better. Smoother over the rough stuff and just felt more controlled throughout the travel. It rode a trail that had a bunch of jumps, rough studder bumps, and ended in a wicked steep loose section with tight turns and had ridden the boxxer r2c2 one week and then swapped forks the next week and rode it again. The 40 just felt better even right out of the box. It was most noticable on the really steep section. It rode higher in its travel and just felt better composed.

this is from a half retarded, somewhat slow DH guy though. Both forks were tuned by my much faster DH friends who own a shop. But every one of them are top cat 1 racers and switched from boxxer wc's to 40's last year and have said they would never go back...