Quantcast

boy oh boy... how things change in 12 hours

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
6am: woke up thinking about buying a new mountain bike
6pm: signed on the dotted line for an 05 Toyota 4Runner

It all happened so fast. Actually, I had to leave to get my daughter home and let the dogs out... my wife is still there taking care of all the paper work. Here's what I know (more details tomorrow or the next day)...

05 V6 SR5 4x4
that nice navy blue color
sunroof
running boards
tow hitch

everything else is pretty basic I think. It's her truck, so I didn't pay much attention. It's a toyota, it's got 4wd, everything else is pretty much up to her.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Married Math: she gets the truck, I get to wash it on the weekends for her - Very Likely
Monkey Math: she gets the truck, I get PIMP ASS bike - Not So Likely

I'm looking into getting a Kona Explosif frame and building it up with a mix of new parts, parts I have, and used parts from the Buy/Sell forum. If I go this route, the budget will likely be pretty tight, so nothing fancy is planned for the near future. My other option is to replace the parts I broke this summer and buy a few tools.

The truck is a pretty typical 4Runner. V6, 4x4, Am/FM/Tape/CD, sunroof, running boards, tow hitch (which I can use my sportworks with!), blah blah blah. No leather or heated seats or anything fancy like that.

We've been talking about getting a new vehicle for my wife for a while, just couldn't pull the trigger for one reason or another. I heard on the radio yesterday that Toyota was offering 0% APR on the 4Runner (which was one of the vehicles she was interested in). I mentioned it to her in passing, but she kind of blew it off... timing was bad, lots of other stuff going on at the moment... death in the family, she's changing jobs, etc. etc. Anyways, she calls me at work and asks if I thought it was worth going over to the dealership to look at a 4Runner. I met her over there, we told the sales guy (someone I've dealt with in the past, who I have a good relationship with) what we were looking for, he said he had one, so we took it for a spin. Got back, asked him to see what our payments would be based on the sticker of $32xxx and $2000 down. He wrote down all the info he needed, looked up at us and told us the invoice price was $28xxx and that's what he'd work the numbers against. Came back and told us our payments were going to be about $50 less than we expected - about $75 below our budget.

It was defintely a good chain of events, but man... I don't like making those kinds of purchases that spontaneously. If it wasn't a Toyota, I probably wouldn't have done it, despite the fact that we got what we feel to be a great deal.

We don't even have the truck yet, so I can't get any pics of our actual vehicle... but here's a stock shot to tide you over (ours is navy blue, not silver, with chrome trim)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
I wonder if its too late to get your money back on that snowblower??

TAPE player? people still use those things??
hehe... I was thinking the same thing - about the snowblower and the tape player.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I sold the HP frame, trying to decide if I should do what I want with the money (buy a new bike), or what I should do with the money (replace my taco'd rim, busted seat post, and buy a few tools I need).

Realistically, my financial advisor will probably have the final say in what I do with it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I sold the HP frame, trying to decide if I should do what I want with the money (buy a new bike), or what I should do with the money (replace my taco'd rim, busted seat post, and buy a few tools I need).

Realistically, my financial advisor will probably have the final say in what I do with it.
Yeah well I need a few things too right now. First thing I need, is to get in shape.....

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
Nice purchase.

The 4th gen 'Runners are nice!

I'd opt for a V6 vs a V8 too.

I can't get rid of my '96 though.
I was impressed by the truck, although I only got about a 10 minute ride in it. The seats are super comfy, it handles surprisingly well (not much body roll for a stock SUV), and it's a toyota, so that speaks volumes. The only thing I was unsure about were the climate control controls... not sure I like the look of them. They are easy to use, just kinda ugly IMO. By my wife likes them, so... The V8 would have been better when towing our boat, but for the few times a year we tow it any distance, the gas mileage of the V6 is a bigger plus for us.

I've still got my 96. In about a year, the least on my wife's BMW is up, so that will go back and we will officially be a 2 4Runner family.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Yeah well I need a few things too right now. First thing I need, is to get in shape.....
you sound like a broken record. Just deal with it... unless you hit the rollers hard frequently, that's just the way it's going to be in the northeast in February.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jacksonpt said:
you sound like a broken record. Just deal with it... unless you hit the rollers hard frequently, that's just the way it's going to be in the northeast in February.
I'm actually a bit jealous. I've been dying to do some cross country skiing lately.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Have I said it that much?
Sorry!

Well I want to try and hit the rollers everyday now.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Have I said it that much?
Sorry!

Well I want to try and hit the rollers everyday now.
No, I'm just giving you a hard time. Besides, it's just the way it is in the northeast - at least for everyone other than Splat.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
I was impressed by the truck, although I only got about a 10 minute ride in it. The seats are super comfy, it handles surprisingly well (not much body roll for a stock SUV), and it's a toyota, so that speaks volumes. The only thing I was unsure about were the climate control controls... not sure I like the look of them. They are easy to use, just kinda ugly IMO. By my wife likes them, so... The V8 would have been better when towing our boat, but for the few times a year we tow it any distance, the gas mileage of the V6 is a bigger plus for us.

I've still got my 96. In about a year, the least on my wife's BMW is up, so that will go back and we will officially be a 2 4Runner family.
I test drove one last year and was impressed with it but not enough to buy one. My impression was that the ceiling seemed lower than in my 3rd gen but I might have been wrong about that.

I have 198,000 on my '96 at the moment and I don't see selling it anytime soon. I would like to buy a 4-door 4x4 Taco next year sometime. Although I love the 4Runner, I think the 4-door Taco would have all the benifits of an SUV and a pick-up.

J

JRB

hahahaha - even Wumpus jumped on the montashu band wagon. Nice truck jackson.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Married Math = Don't get married. Trade the G/F in every few years for an newer model.
Monkey Math = Get pimp ASS bike and buy self a pimp ASS truck to go with it to pick up the newer model G/F in.

:thumb:

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
When I saw the post, I wa thinking :eek: He's selling the built up 96?
So you're going to sport 3 vehicles for a while? I wish I could convince my wife into something like that. I've looked a these recently too. I like the navy, dark gray, or silver. I thought it was odd they didn't have a green out. Considering my last three cars were green, I need a change. You know your going to end up putting some the spacer lift on it, with some larger tires. I give it six months, or sooner considering the climate right now. "Honey you know some ATs would help you out with the snow." "Might as well lift it a little to get a little larger tire too." Come on you know your thinking it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
JSB said:
When I saw the post, I wa thinking :eek: He's selling the built up 96?
So you're going to sport 3 vehicles for a while? I wish I could convince my wife into something like that. I've looked a these recently too. I like the navy, dark gray, or silver. I thought it was odd they didn't have a green out. Considering my last three cars were green, I need a change. You know your going to end up putting some the spacer lift on it, with some larger tires. I give it six months, or sooner considering the climate right now. "Honey you know some ATs would help you out with the snow." "Might as well lift it a little to get a little larger tire too." Come on you know your thinking it.
yea. The lease on her BMW is up in a year, and at this point, I think it would cost more to get out of the lease than it would to make the additional payments. Plus, having a 3rd car will be nice if/when my rig has to go in for work. The dealer can keep it for a few days without it turning into a big deal.

This truck is hers, so it's getting nothing. She has to climb in and out of it every day, so a lift is out. She's the one putting gas in it, so 33" MTs are out. The tires that came on it are pretty crappy, so we'll probably replace them with some ATs at some point, but we'll stick with the stock size.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
That's cool. My wife is 5'2". She hasn't let me lift her Suburban in 5 years now. I've only got the coil lift on my 4Runner, and she hates when she has to get in it. So I understand. Definitely a great purchase though. I've been debating hard between that or a LC.