Quantcast

boycott KISS, Simmons is a complete d!ck!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A convo about Kiss degenerating into a debate of sorts making reference to what appears to be some sort of roll playing game. I'm shocked.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
A convo about Kiss degenerating into a debate of sorts making reference to what appears to be some sort of roll playing game. I'm shocked.
I'm not shocked. Kiss is just a bunch of guys dressed up in costumes so there might as well be card games about monsters mentioned.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
This thread should be "rip off Gene Simmons". I'd be all for it, but I hate his music/art/files whatever.

File sharing has already been debated here. Many schools of thought:

1. Stealing is wrong, file sharing is stealing, therefore it's wrong.

2. Information can be shared, file sharing is information sharing.

3. Some artists are for file sharing b/c it get's artists more exposure and record companies don't get the money.

4. Artists want to be paid like lawyers and doctors, but don't want to go to law nor med school.

5. Gene simons and guys like him in many music corporations take all they can and never give back. They can afford it when some poor kid or working joe gets a free song.
Ignorance truly is bliss.

A lot of artists go to school to learn their craft, earning Bachelor's and Masters degrees along the way.

It takes an average of 5 yrs. to earn a BFA degree from a fully accredited University. The course load and required studio hours is intense.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that still think artists work less than everybody else.

Unfortunately, there are still too many people that have no respect for or understanding of the tremendous amount of hard work and determination it takes to make it as an artist. This narrow, ignorant view point perpetuates the notion that it's ok to rip off an artist( music or visual ) because they and their time are seen as less valuable.

You don't work for free, so don't expect artists to do so either.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I never said nor imply artists work less than everyone else. I just find it suprising when a few artists think they should be paid more than everyone else and that file sharing will stop that possibility. The irony is how many years did the "artists" of KISS go to school??

I think what really encourages file sharing is when bands like Mettallica and thier labels take legal action against their fans. And when "artists" like Garth Brooks wants a piece of the action everytime one of his used cd's changes hands. Greedy artists may be still be artists, but forgive me when I think they reap what they sew in terms of file sharing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I never said nor imply artists work less than everyone else. I just find it suprising when a few artists think they should be paid more than everyone else and that file sharing will stop that possibility. The irony is how many years did the "artists" of KISS go to school??

I think what really encourages file sharing is when bands like Mettallica and thier labels take legal action against their fans. And when "artists" like Garth Brooks wants a piece of the action everytime one of his used cd's changes hands. Greedy artists may be still be artists, but forgive me when I think they reap what they sew in terms of file sharing.
Greedy? Napster lost Metallica millions of dollars because every person who downloaded Master of Puppets was stealing, like if they snuck into Tower and grabbed a cd.

Yeah, Lars Ulrich sounds like a douchebag, but he had a point. And if Metallica didn't speak up, someone else would have, guaranteed.

No one cared when you made cassette copy because that was on a personal level (and near impossible to enforce). Downloads can be done by millions with a click of the mouse.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Gene Simmons seems like a likeable guy. His acting & show on tv is good.
Music is pretty good,except that "Firestarter" song & video i had to sit through;it was aweful.
He's a buisnessman.
Gene for President!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

A lot of artists go to school to learn their craft, earning Bachelor's and Masters degrees along the way.

It takes an average of 5 yrs. to earn a BFA degree from a fully accredited University. The course load and required studio hours is intense.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that still think artists work less than everybody else.

Unfortunately, there are still too many people that have no respect for or understanding of the tremendous amount of hard work and determination it takes to make it as an artist. This narrow, ignorant view point perpetuates the notion that it's ok to rip off an artist( music or visual ) because they and their time are seen as less valuable.

How's business?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

I also like how you are breaking the stereotype of the "starving" artist.
The last time I saw you, you had a sausage egg and cheese biscuit in each hand.:rofl:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I don't hate success, I hate bands who wanted to make more money so they made their music worse/more mainstream in order to get richer/more fame. That IMO, is not success.
translation:

Gene Simmons can buy and sell me whenever he wants to, as many times as he wants to.

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
lol consumer culture

I buy all of my albums, but I preview them first (30 second song preview on iTunes or the headphones in the music store I go to. also, I only buy from LOCAL music stores, not chains) to make sure I'll like it. Or I ask a buddy of mine what a good album is and he's never steered me wrong yet.

I'll also kick a few extra dollars out to go to concerts and get T-shirts. I'm a huge Iron Maiden fan but I only have two shirts, a poster, and a bandana (but the bandana came free with the album).

It's called entrepreneurship. People in every profession do it.
i understand what is going on, but when i can go to the website of a rock band from the 70's-80's(no idea actually, i'm just pretty sure they are old) and i click on the "kiss shop" and over 40 pages of items are for sale from incense holders to checkers games, disposable lighters to rubber duck toys for the tub, cooking aprons to stainless travel mugs, there becomes a point in which "entrepreneurship" turn into money grubbing shamelessness...

Last edited:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i understand what is going on, but when i can go to the website of a rock band from the 70's-80's(no idea actually, i'm just pretty sure they are old) and i click on the "kiss shop" and over 40 pages of items are for sale from incense holders to checkers games, disposable lighters to rubber duck toys for the tub, cooking aprons to stainless travel mugs, there becomes a point in which "entrepreneurship" turn into money grubbing shamelessness...
it doesnt involve you in the least so why do you care so much what someone else does?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I remember when the KISS crazy kid at my school showed up with a KISS lunch box...and we thought THAT was cool. Now he prolly cooks in a KI$$ apron...

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I remember when the KISS crazy kid at my school showed up with a KISS lunch box...and we thought THAT was cool. Now he prolly cooks in a KI$$ apron...
There's a kid at my school who wears a KISS hat and a KISS t-shirt everyday with his KISS ipod vinyl and his KISS keychain, and he uses KISS mints and KISS bodyspray.

Every time I see the kid I cringe. Such horrible taste in music, and so much of it.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
What kind of apron do you cook in??

FYI- Mine has a picture of The David from the neck down. TMI??