BP thunderhorse down - get ready to take one at the pump

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
rumor is it's gone...

real deep...

irrecoverable...

worse it's probably going to crash richt down on top of all the moorings and well heads...

it's just catastrophic...

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Watching the smaller rigs built in Port Aransas always amazed me, but these things dwarf anything I've seen built or fished near.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Release date: 12 July 2005
HOUSTON (July 11, 2005)- BP today confirmed that the Thunder Horse semi-submersible platform, located in Mississippi Canyon Block 778 in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, 150 miles southeast of New Orleans, is listing following the passing of Hurricane Dennis. Early reports confirmed that the platform is listing an estimated 20 - 30 degrees. The Thunder Horse field is in development and has not yet begun production of hydrocarbons.

The situation was discovered at approximately 8:30 a.m. Monday morning by a vessel in the area. The cause is unknown. The Thunder Horse platform had been evacuated of all personnel on Friday in anticipation of the hurricane’s approach. At this time there has been no known release of any fuel or hazardous substances.

BP immediately activated its Incident Command structure, notified the appropriate regulatory agencies including the U.S. Minerals Management Service (MMS) and the U.S. Coast Guard, and conducted over flights to further assess the extent of the damage.

At this time BP is mobilizing a number of response vessels to the Thunder Horse location and working with the Coast Guard to create a response plan. The first priority will be to safely board the vessel for a further assessment of its stability and to begin investigating potential causes of the issue.

BP and the Coast Guard are collaborating to establish a Unified Command in Morgan City, Louisiana.

More information, including a photograph of the Thunder Horse platform, is available using the link below.

www.bpissuenews.com

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Wumpus said:
The Thunder Horse field is in development and has not yet begun production of hydrocarbons.
Since the platform hasn't started producing oil its sinking shouldn't effect gas prices. Sucks for BP though but they can now brag about building artifical reefs for the fish in their "we make the world happy/shiny' commercials.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
dan-o said:
Since the platform hasn't started producing oil its sinking shouldn't effect gas prices. Sucks for BP though but they can now brag about building artifical reefs for the fish in their "we make the world happy/shiny' commercials.
They're not just going to eat the cost if that thing sinks. Chances are, we'll eat the cost and everyone involved with the platform will get big bonuses.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
dan-o said:
That field is slated to start production in the 4th quarter. Losing it before it produced its first barrel would be a HUGE loss for BP. Additionally, it would have an effect on oil prices because to a certain extent the capacity of Thunderhorse is already starting to make its way into the oil prices. If all of a sudden that production is loss... you guess what happens next.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
BikeGeek said:
They're not just going to eat the cost if that thing sinks. Chances are, we'll eat the cost and everyone involved with the platform will get big bonuses.
You are already paying for Thunderhouse, have been for awhile now. If that platform sinks I can promise you that NO one is getting bonuses.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
stoney98 said:
actually, it doesn't. Given that there is probably an easy 10000 tonnes of metal in that rig, and it's 1/4 submerged, but still hasn't broken or sunk, it's pretty damned rigid.
uh, when did you turn european? "tonnes"?

i laughed at the "flexy" comment :D

Reminds me of the time I left the saltwater strainers off my LCM-6 when pulling maintenance; it rained that night and water accumulated in the welldeck, causing the boat to ride lower, and the engine room started flooding. We had some pumping to do the next morning...