Quantcast

BR! Help me loose some weight!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok so I am a little bored today and my recent presents to myself has gotten me thinking. How could I shave some additional weight off of my bike without sacrificing durability?

Here are the specifics

03 SC - Heckler Large w/ 5th Element Coil (450lb spring)
Fork - 03 - Fox Talas 125mm
Stem- Thomson 90mm
Bars - Richey aluminum Risers
Grips - Yeti Lock-ons
Brakes - Hayes HFX-9's (6")
Seat Post - Thomson
Seat - WTB Rocket
Shifters - XT
Derailur's - XT
Cranks - 03 Shimano LX, with LX BB
22/32/46 race face big ring
Pedals - Shimano 515's
Wheels (these are brand new) 05 CrossMax XL disc.
Tires F. WTB Weirwolf 2.5 race r. Maxxis, Larsen TT 2.0 UST - both are run tubeless with Stans
Before upgrading the wheels (yesterday) she weighed in at 32.6lbs, upgrading my wheelset saved me 1.1lbs making the bike 31.5lbs.

Does anyone see anywhere I could save some significant weight by upgrading something or doing something different?

Somethings I won't do - NO Carbon fiber seat post or handle bars.

I am not a weight weenie or anything, and really love my bike. I cant wait to try it out with the new wheels. 1.1lbs of rotating mass should make a noticeable difference.

Any suggestions?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
One nice cheap upgrade would be Truvativ Stylo Team cranks. And if you don't use the TALAS feature, you can get all the other coolness of that fork with a little less weight by getting a Float. A Ti spring would take a little off too, and I've heard they have a nicer feel to them on a 5th. I'm with you on the carbon seatpost thing, but I've been running Monkeylites on 2 bikes, I'd put them up against any aluminum bar.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
"loose" some weight? Put your crank bolts on only hand-tight... You'll "loose" them in no time :p

If you don't mind spending the cash, a Ti coil will knock a quarter to a half pound off in one part - it's the only place on your bike that you can do that without sacrificing any performance or durability.

The cranks are the only thing that jump out at me as not being optimal. I believe the '04 and '05 XT setup with the integrated BB is lighter. You could probably get away with a weight weenie saddle but it may be uncomfortable - see if you like the stuff from Selle Italia. I can't use 'em, myself - you'll pry my WTB from my cold, dead fingers.

You've got a pretty big gap in your tires, too - a 2.5 front, 2.0 rear? Maybe go down to a 2.3 in the front to save a little rotating weight.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
The cranks are the only thing that jump out at me as not being optimal. I believe the '04 and '05 XT setup with the integrated BB is lighter.
That's kinda what I was thinking as well. Didn't RaceFace just come out with something similar as well?

binary visions said:
You could probably get away with a weight weenie saddle but it may be uncomfortable - see if you like the stuff from Selle Italia. I can't use 'em, myself - you'll pry my WTB from my cold, dead fingers.
:stupid:
I have the same saddle on my ROAD BIKE! If this one ever breaks I may get the Ti Rail version next time

binary visions said:
You've got a pretty big gap in your tires, too - a 2.5 front, 2.0 rear? Maybe go down to a 2.3 in the front to save a little rotating weight.
Well I have the "Old" WTB Weirwolf 2.5 which is actually more like 2.35/2.4, and I am currently very smitten with these tires up front

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
That's kinda what I was thinking as well. Didn't RaceFace just come out with something similar as well?
Yeah, they've got the Deus (XC) cranks and Atlas ("all mountain") cranks. Depending on how hard you are on your equipment, you may be able to get away with the XC cranks but I've heard some negative things about the mounting system and problems with them always coming loose.

I know people have this agenda against Shimano but they make really great cranks and bottom brackets.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
Yeah, they've got the Deus (XC) cranks and Atlas ("all mountain") cranks. Depending on how hard you are on your equipment, you may be able to get away with the XC cranks but I've heard some negative things about the mounting system and problems with them always coming loose.

I know people have this agenda against Shimano but they make really great cranks and bottom brackets.
I don't. I am much much too shallow. I just caught a glimpse of the Race Face product (not sure which one) and thought they looked much cooler. :cool:

I am surprised (but not that much) that my BB has lasted this long. There have been many many submergings, mud etc and probably close to 4000 miles on that sucker. It was making noise a few months ago, I had it serviced and it has been flawless since. :think: I think when it goes I will look into the new XT.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Shouldn't you be holding the bathroom stall door closed some where this morning?? :nuts:
nope took a dump before i left the house. lightened me up by at least .25 pounds.

BillT

Monkey
None of these are necessarily cheap ways to loose weight, but here are some suggestions:

1. Ti spring for the 5th
2. I know you said no CF handlebars, but I doubt you'd brake the DH model - its 225 grams so that could save you around 50 or so grams
3. Maybe look into some lighter, yet still meaty tires. I've got a Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove combo (2.35 size) coming my way for x-mas that I'm going to try out as the trail tire on my Bullit - they might be lighter than what you have. Also Continental tends to make very light tires.
4. Going with either the new XT crankset or Raceface Atlas will probably save you around 100 grams.
5. If you still have the original LX granny ring (and possibly the middle ring as well), it is probably made of steel so you could lose some weight by replacing it with an aluminum ring.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
biggins said:
drill holes in everything. especially your frame.
haha i remember the first mt. bike i saw with a suspension fork. The guy never rode it with us so i think it was all status. i think the bike was a Klien?.... But yah he drilled a bunch of holes in it to make it light, i thought it was the weirdest thing.

Anyways seat with ti rails gotta save you a little, that integrated crank/bb combo has GOTTA save wieght, the ti spring, i''m not a fan of C/F handlebars but depending on what you ride.... you can save a little losing the lock on grips. You can lock on any ole grips by shootin in a little hairspray when puttin on new ones, maybe cut your bars a tad for that.

BUT the main reason you feel the difference in weight right now is because you lost it in your wheels(rotational physics something i don't get, but understand when i have lighter wheels on a bike). There is always a noticable difference when you lose it there versus most of these other EXPENSIVE and unnecessary downgrades.
31 lbs for a Heckler is a good build, anything else you do to lighten it up is really a waste of money in my opinion. Just eat one less Jumbo Jack a month or something instead....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
How much travel does a Heckler get?

It's a trail bike....it's not supposes to weigh more that a 3" XC bike. My Spot weighs in at a sturdy 29lb and it feels just right.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Snacks said:

It's a trail bike....it's not supposes to weigh more that a 3" XC bike. My Spot weighs in at a sturdy 29lb and it feels just right.
5 inches

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Snacks said:

its a 5" Bike, and until my wheels felt just a tad piggish(at almost 33lbs). I have yet to ride it with the new wheels, but am very excited to do so.

I am not trying to make this a 26lb bike or anything. I was just looking for some suggestions on where I COULD save weight the next time I am ready to upgrade something. There are a few :monkey: 's that have ridden with me, and its not like the few lbs slows me down (going up or down) considerably either way.

Along with entertaining me for the most of the morning, I have also confirmed my original thought that my next move will probably be to upgrade the crank/bb to one of the new integrated systems. My derailur and shifters are also soon to be replaced due to wear, so I may give Sram a try and shave a couple of grams there as well. It was also interesting to hear the chainring idea. I had never even thought of that, and I go through rings(except the granny) pretty regularly (due to wear). I dont think I would ever spend $ on my bike JUST to lighten it, but if you gotta replace parts, might as well upgrade right?? :cool: :cool:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Full XTR group
Minute 2 fork
ti spring
Race Face Deus Stem
WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4 Race
That would put you under 30lbs.

I have a carbon seatpost and handlebar.
Mine weights just under 29lbs.
Its gonna cost you.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
biggins said:
nope took a dump before i left the house. lightened me up by at least .25 pounds.

Biggins is on to something, just take a big fat **** before you leave the house.

You could also loose the man titties I keep hearing about! :nuts:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Salami said:
I am hoping to be as built as this guy one day :think: :devil: :think:

Eat a white seedless grape or something will you! :nuts:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Air shock or a Ti spring
Cranks/pedals

Everything else might shave a few oz here or there, but nothing significant.

On a side note... what's the heckler frame weight? I've got my 575 and a very solid 28lbs, though that's with an air shock.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Salami said:
Biggins is on to something, just take a big fat **** before you leave the house.

well you can switch his name around a little and it spells Bro (bra for men).