Quantcast

"Brain Shock"

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My friend who is hunting for a bike keeps saying he wants a brain shock.

I guess specialized put out a suspension system using a "brain shock" but I'm not familiar with it. Is it any different than any of the other SPV type shocks?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's a Specialized design which is supposed to counteract any pedaling forces to the shock, but still keep it compliant to trail bumps. it's mounted in a funny (potentially vulnerable) position on the seatstays. i've never ridden one, personally.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, it is different.

The Brain shock used a small weighted "stopper" on a spring that kept the damper closed until you hit a bump. When you hit a bump, it overcame the small force of the spring keeping the damper closed and the shock started functioning. When you stopped hitting bumps, the stopper settled back into place and shut the damper so you essentially had a hardtail again.

Cool idea, I think it's just a crutch for bad suspension design, though. An efficient suspension does more than just absorb bumps, it provides traction.

edit: actually, narlus, FYI it doesn't counteract pedalling forces at all. It just stays locked out until it hits enough of a bump to move the brass weight out of the way. I tried one in the shop and it was cool - you could bounce up and down on it as hard as you want and it was locked out, but if you slammed the rear end on the ground, the shock opened right up.

Lots of complaints regarding a delay (so the first bump doesn't get absorbed), and bunny hopping was funny since you didn't know if the shock was open or shut so you couldn't tell when to preload and when to hop it like a hardtail.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
it's a Specialized design which is supposed to counteract any pedaling forces to the shock, but still keep it compliant to trail bumps. it's mounted in a funny (potentially vulnerable) position on the seatstays. i've never ridden one, personally.

yeah but it sounds like it does the same thing as a Pro-pedal or SPV valved shock.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Yes, it is different.

The Brain shock used a small weighted "stopper" on a spring that kept the damper closed until you hit a bump. When you hit a bump, it overcame the small force of the spring keeping the damper closed and the shock started functioning. When you stopped hitting bumps, the stopper settled back into place and shut the damper so you essentially had a hardtail again.

Cool idea, I think it's just a crutch for bad suspension design, though. An efficient suspension does more than just absorb bumps, it provides traction.

edit: actually, narlus, FYI it doesn't counteract pedalling forces at all. It just stays locked out until it hits enough of a bump to move the brass weight out of the way.
Damn you're good!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The "Brain" is basically designed for riders who like hardtails alot. It only becomes active on hits, and does nothing for anything else..

Ive ridden one. I didnt care for it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:
The "Brain" is basically designed for riders who like hardtails alot. It only becomes active on hits, and does nothing for anything else..

Ive ridden one. I didnt care for it.
I'm trying to steer him away from it as well.

He loved my MKIII but he is still looking for a less plush ride in the rear it seems. Although he did like the geometry of it and I may be able to push him towards a similar style bike.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stosh said:
I'm trying to steer him away from it as well.

He loved my MKIII but he is still looking for a less plush ride in the rear it seems. Although he did like the geometry of it and I may be able to push him towards a similar style bike.
Id say steer him toward a stumpjumper or something..

J

JRB

You can also read up about it in the Fox inertia valve. Racers like them. Julie rode one in Tahoe and really liked it. She has a K2 Razorback with a Fox Float now, and she likes it a ton better.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
<snip>

Lots of complaints regarding a delay (so the first bump doesn't get absorbed),
I test rode an Epic with the "Brain" on Monarch Crest a few years back. This was my complaint. Once it opened up the ride was nice. It was a very capable bike, I just didn't like the way the brain worked.

Oh - and the BB was *way* too low.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Is he just scared to move into full suspension?
Um... I wouldn't say that...
He totally loved my MKIII especially the PIKE. He has this thing about not losing any pedal power and I'm sure I can pull him away from that I just need a good argument.

J

JRB

stosh said:
He totally loved my MKIII especially the PIKE. He has this thing about not losing any pedal power and I'm sure I can pull him away from that I just need a good argument.
He needs to go learn about pedal forces on the DW link, Maestro and VPP. They are all minimized and remain active all the time. No need for a lock out or SPV these days.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
does he race? If not, he needs to think less and ride more. If he races, then he would probably want something a bit "quicker" anyways. Your bike is definitely a trail bike... perhaps something more XCish would better suit his needs? I'm thinking a blur would be right up his alley.

All though if he spends a lot of time hammering out of the saddle, then he's going to feel the suspension regardless.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
does he race? If not, he needs to think less and ride more. If he races, then he would probably want something a bit "quicker" anyways. Your bike is definitely a trail bike... perhaps something more XCish would better suit his needs? I'm thinking a blur would be right up his alley.

All though if he spends a lot of time hammering out of the saddle, then he's going to feel the suspension regardless.
He doesn't know what he wants and I'm trying to help him figure it out.

J

JRB

stosh said:
He doesn't know what he wants and I'm trying to help him figure it out.
Just tell him that the Brain is stupid and if he doesn't take that for an answer, he is too stupid to be friends with anyway.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Just tell him that the Brain is stupid and if he doesn't take that for an answer, he is too stupid to be friends with anyway.
I already did but he keeps hanging around me anyway.

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
Some of the new brains come with the brain fade. Essentially this is a sensitivity control so you can set the shock not to "open up"on hits that are relatively big or you can make it super sensitive and the bike will go full squish on the tiniest of bumps.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
nixhexss said:
Some of the new brains come with the brain fade. Essentially this is a sensitivity control so you can set the shock not to "open up"on hits that are relatively big or you can make it super sensitive and the bike will go full squish on the tiniest of bumps.
OMG Hi 2 you!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
laura said:
coffee pee is far worse than asparagus pee, IMO.
Wait, mine hasn't come out yet from my large coffee this AM, should I run up and pee on him in the middle of his office?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
My coffee pee smells like "Honey Smacks" cereal, cause i put in like a cup of sugar in each mug. It doesnt smell so bad.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
nixhexss said:
the first generation without the fade pretty much sucked. The adjustment in the new ones actually make it a pretty nice shock to ride. Rode about an hour on a stumpjumper with it and it worked pretty well. The bunny hop thing was still a little weird but the bike's owner said that after awhile you just got used to it.

Not sure if its worth the trouble but it does work much better these days.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
stosh said:
Wait, mine hasn't come out yet from my large coffee this AM, should I run up and pee on him in the middle of his office?

I would. If he has a small office with carpet, he'll never get the smell out. and it'll be muggy. like a coffee pee rainforest.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
BurlyShirley said:
My coffee pee smells like "Honey Smacks" cereal, cause i put in like a cup of sugar in each mug. It doesnt smell so bad.

that must be nice. I don't sugar so mine, well, never mind. I don't know why i feel like being gross today.