Quantcast

"Brain Shock"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spent some time on friends bikes who have them. Does what is advertised. But to me something like pro-pedal or SPV does just as good of a job and is simpler/lighter.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
Spent some time on friends bikes who have them. Does what is advertised. But to me something like pro-pedal or SPV does just as good of a job and is simpler/lighter.
I guess what I need is a good all around bike in the area of $1500

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SkaredShtles said:
What does it matter as long as it fits? :D

They had an 05 in town here. The 20" should fit him.

The price was the same as the 06 you linked me too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
laura said:
coffee pee is far worse than asparagus pee, IMO.
i should have sent you last week's sample in a 50mL conical tube for comparison. it was the nastiest...maybe something do w/ the method of roasting it w/ soy sauce.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
but why not get the Reign. Seems like a better fit if this guy liked riding my MKIII so much. The weights are pretty equal between the Reign and Trance right?
shorter travel = less noticable loss of power due to the suspension???

J

JRB

stosh said:
but why not get the Reign. Seems like a better fit if this guy liked riding my MKIII so much. The weights are pretty equal between the Reign and Trance right?
A pound and a half or so.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
Intersting...... I was under the impression that the Reigns were more along the lines of 3-4 pounds heavier. My boss just bought one and said it was 32lbs? That sound right?
don't both the reign and the trance come in like 3 different build levels?

I would bet there is a bigger difference betwee a top of the line trance (in theory, the lightest) and the bottom line reign (likely the heaviest).

I think I remember reading somewhere that the actual frames were very similar in weight... something like 1lb difference.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
don't both the reign and the trance come in like 3 different build levels?

I would bet there is a bigger difference betwee a top of the line trance (in theory, the lightest) and the bottom line reign (likely the heaviest).

I think I remember reading somewhere that the actual frames were very similar in weight... something like 1lb difference.
Yeah - I guess I figure that someone who buys the Reign will probably have some heavier-duty components to handle more "all mountain" stuff. So in the real world, will a similar level Reign be on order of 4-5 lbs heavier?

I don't really know since I have a lightweight NRS. :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
So in the real world, will a similar level Reign be on order of 4-5 lbs heavier?
well sure... a lightweight racer who wants more travel could build up a trance pretty light, while a bigger rider who punishes his gear would likely build up a pretty heavy reign. I bet the difference could be a lot more than just 4-5lbs. I was simply talking about out of the box weights.

But I also don't know - I don't like Giants.

J

JRB

There is likely a pound or so difference in forks from base to top models of the reign and the trance. The wheels will make a difference too. I think the 2s and 3s share the same, but the 1 gets an upgrade. I think.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
well sure... a lightweight racer who wants more travel could build up a trance pretty light, while a bigger rider who punishes his gear would likely build up a pretty heavy reign. I bet the difference could be a lot more than just 4-5lbs. I was simply talking about out of the box weights.
I suppose the way to compare would be to take a Trance-2 and a Reign-2 and put 'em on a scale. But I'm way too lazy. Maybe someone else will compare 'em. :D