Quantcast

Brake adaptor compatability?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Most adapters are interchangable. I've used Shimano brakes with Hayes adapters. I've used Hayes adapters with Avid brakes. Avid adapters with Hayes brakes. I've used Tektros with Avid adapters. Avid, Shimano,Hayes, Tektros, Formula use the same adapter standards.

The type of mount is what's important. A post mount is a post mount. Think of all the forks that use post mounts. Do you hear of a 160mm post mount on a Manitou working with one PM caliper but not another? Or the 203mm post mounts on Marzocchi, Rockshox, and Manitou?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah I've used many combos also. Just had a Formula retailer tell me otherwise.
Avid are slightly diferent, they won't mount dirrect without some spacing from memory.
Back in the day, some single pot addaptors didn't work with other brands(same bolt pattern)as the caliper fouled on the mount.
I just wanted to be sure. Getting Formulas, and the mounts are expensive.
Also wanted to know if it's an I.S standard now.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure you'll be ok so long as you buy the standard sized rotors from them. IE 203 mm not 200, 185 not 180. I think their 2010- 2011 rotors are the "standard" size anyway but just make sure.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Yeah I've used many combos also. Just had a Formula retailer tell me otherwise.
Avid are slightly diferent, they won't mount dirrect without some spacing from memory.
Back in the day, some single pot addaptors didn't work with other brands(same bolt pattern)as the caliper fouled on the mount.
I just wanted to be sure. Getting Formulas, and the mounts are expensive.
Also wanted to know if it's an I.S standard now.

I'm using a magura on my boxxer and shimano in the rear with my 203 mm Formula Ones. Just be careful because some (older) Formula Rotors were 200mm. Even with that I just filed down the adaptors 3mm.