Quantcast

Brake bleed/set up ? (elixir CR)

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I like my brakes to be set up so that it requires as little lever throw as possible (especially the rear). I have avid elixir cr's and bled them a few times last night following the manual and tips here from another thread; but even with dialing all the adjustments it still requires more throw than I would like. They are not squishy so I don't think it is an issue of air, but rather I think I need to add more fluid into the system to achieve this.

My question is if I use something thinner than the caliper block provided (or maybe bleed them with pads in on the disks?) will this allow me to get more fluid into the system to achieve the result I'm looking for? Also, would I have to do a full bleed or could I add fluid and bleed from the top or bottom?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
subscribe.

I've had plenty of people ask for this, and I can't seem to figure out how to over-bleed them consistently.

Of course, when they do get over-bled, the customer tags a rock then complains that his brakes are rubbing.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I have the same issue, my Elixir levers were solid when I first got them, like 1/4 inch of throw, now its more like half an inch even with contact adjuster all the way out. I really liked the solid lever feel in the beginning. My bike is in pieces right now, so I think I'm gonna leave the brakes hanging on the wall by the lever overnight to see if that draws most of the bubbles up.Something I saw at the end of the Avid bleed video, the guy puts the pads in, then pumped the levers to get the pads to come closer, then uses one end of one of the bleed blocks to spread them apart so they are "reset" to the width of a rotor.

I have had some other issues as well, like being able to pull air bubbles out of the front lever for about 10 minutes or so, all while I hear a little sound coming from the lever, sort of like squelching. Even when I get the bubbles to stop, when I pull the syringe off the lever the hole is dry and I can see a silver cylinder inside, I pushed on the plunger before I unscrewed it, but it didn't do much. Then when I go to try again I get a ton of huge bubbles when I bleed the hose I'm not blaming the brakes yet as these are my first and I could be making mistakes, but it is getting old.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Loo! Zip it!

I have had some other issues as well, like being able to pull air bubbles out of the front lever for about 10 minutes or so, all while I hear a little sound coming from the lever, sort of like squelching. Even when I get the bubbles to stop, when I pull the syringe off the lever the hole is dry and I can see a silver cylinder inside, I pushed on the plunger before I unscrewed it, but it didn't do much. Then when I go to try again I get a ton of huge bubbles when I bleed the hose I'm not blaming the brakes yet as these are my first and I could be making mistakes, but it is getting old.
Yeah, I got the same thing going on but I am not getting that many bubbles out of the lever and I believe it was only making the noise with the lever all the way in (maybe it was out, I can't remember). They really are working pretty well but I just want a little less throw, like you said, 1/4-1/2" less.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'm going to run over to the local Moto store today and pick up some Motorex DOT 5.1 fluid and try to bleed my brakes tonight. I'll post up on how it goes with my Elixir CR's.

I can tell you though that my right (rear) lever has a weird clicking thing. My Codes that I had would bend out and flex (kinda' like a moto lever) to prevent them from snapping off if I wrecked. My left (front) lever on my Elixirs CR's has that flex to it, but my right lever clicks forward and just kinda' dangles. I haven't taken them apart yet to figure that out, but I'm inclined to do so after this weekend to see what's up. It's obnoxious as all getup.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I'm going to run over to the local Moto store today and pick up some Motorex DOT 5.1 fluid and try to bleed my brakes tonight. I'll post up on how it goes with my Elixir CR's.

I can tell you though that my right (rear) lever has a weird clicking thing. My Codes that I had would bend out and flex (kinda' like a moto lever) to prevent them from snapping off if I wrecked. My left (front) lever on my Elixirs CR's has that flex to it, but my right lever clicks forward and just kinda' dangles. I haven't taken them apart yet to figure that out, but I'm inclined to do so after this weekend to see what's up. It's obnoxious as all getup.
There is a spring that keeps the lever at the reach setting you chose, it is always pushing the lever in and the reach setting determines the max the lever can move in towards the bars. If you can push the lever out and it wont come back the spring probably broke. It is between the reach adjuster and the lever.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

My question is if I use something thinner than the caliper block provided (or maybe bleed them with pads in on the disks?) will this allow me to get more fluid into the system to achieve the result I'm looking for? Also, would I have to do a full bleed or could I add fluid and bleed from the top or bottom?
when i bleed my brakes, i keep the pads in the caliper. i didnt get anymore fluid in the system when i did it and the level feel still has the same feeling as your brakes do

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
So I managed to get that rock solid feel back in my levers, just had to squeeze the levers without the rotor in there to get pistons to extend. Then little by little use a screwdriver to pry the pads apart enough for the rotor to fit in with enough clearance so the pads don't rub. The front lever no longer sucks air in from somewhere, I guess a week in whistler broke them in, but considering I've had this bike for 5 months I figured it would have already happened.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I have never had problems w/ bleeding my Elixirs. Follow the Avid instructions, and tap the lever body and caliper to make sure no bubbles get stuck in there. Be SURE to do the pulling-out thing w/ the syringe with the caliper closed to "suck" any residual air out, that's the real trick.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have never had problems w/ bleeding my Elixirs. Follow the Avid instructions, and tap the lever body and caliper to make sure no bubbles get stuck in there. Be SURE to do the pulling-out thing w/ the syringe with the caliper closed to "suck" any residual air out, that's the real trick.
its not a problem with bleeding the brakes.
read what the OP is asking

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sounds like he is not bleeding the system well. The Avid instructions tell you how to bleed them and where to put the adjuster barrel. I was simply trying to explain that that would probably take care of lever throw (a function of bleeding really) by eliminating any/all air in the lines.

edit: maybe the pads are worn, thus reducing lever throw? And if you can't add any more fluid in the system than stock, maybe that would take care of your issue?

Last edited: