Quantcast

Brake Boosters

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I had to put one on the rear of my old '94 Kona Lava Dome. When I upgraded from cantilever to v-brake, the seat stays were so thin that they would flex by simply sqeezing the brake lever. I couldn't lock up my rear brake no matter how hard I tried. I put a Salsa booster on and it fixed that problem right away. I still have it on there:

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
i don't have a horrible problem with flex but it is there
I want to see if adding the brake booster and upgrading to come kool-stop pads with help when i take my xc bike down technical downhill lol

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
umberto said:
i don't have a horrible problem with flex but it is there
I want to see if adding the brake booster and upgrading to come kool-stop pads with help when i take my xc bike down technical downhill lol
1. Buy the pads, but don't put them on
2. Ride technical downhill
3. Put just pads on
4. Ride same downhill
5. Remove pads and put on boosters
6. Ride same downhill
7. Leave boosters on and put pads back on
8. Ride same downhill
9. Report back

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I ride with boosters.

Find the brakes to noodly without them. Just made the switch back to V's, after 8 years of riding only discs...
The boosters help a lot.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
zahgurim said:
I ride with boosters.

Find the brakes to noodly without them. Just made the switch back to V's, after 8 years of riding only discs...
The boosters help a lot.
Why'd you switch back?

If I ever get around to upgrading my old 94 Kona hardtail I'll have to stick with V. Unless I get a new fork and in that case, I'll put a disc on the front.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I've been off XC bikeys for that long, doing the gravity fed thing. Just built a new ti XC frame up, and it has post mounts.

Chee-sus, she's fast. After pushing 40-45 lb pigs around, I'm a rocket on this thing. Should be, it's about 20 lbs lighter!

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
I am considering putting a booster on the front of my xc bike. I can see the posts on the fork flex when i brake hard. Makes me wonder why I even switched back to Rim brakes. I wanted some weight savings, but with a booster, it will weigh almost as much as my old bb7s.

Any advice on a strong but light booster?

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
well at least it isn't roational weight like a disk, gotmyged
my ac brake booster is STRONG but it really doesn't way too much, it's machined aluminum