Quantcast

brake dilema

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay guys so i am set on getting a set of juicy 7's. so that little question is solved, but here is the problem that i am having. i can save weight, and money with going to a smaller rotor in the rear (aka 7" rotor). i know that is great but i dont want to sacrafice stopping power just to save money and a little weight. so those that have run the 7&8" setup on a set of juicy's please help me. thanks guys it is much appreciated.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
You'll be fine with a smaller rotor in the rear and the weight savings is insignificant. I run the same setup on my SX Trail and I race DH. The stopping power is in the front anyway.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
How much do you and your bike weigh? I'm 170 and my bike is 40-41, and I think 7" doesn't cut it.
Also, where do you ride? If your courses are short and not that steep, brake heat and fade won't be an issue. I ride a lot of top to bottom Whistler runs during the season and my 8" Codes are definitely a step up from my Juicys.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I weigh 155 and the bike is ~35. What works for me might not work for you and that certainly seems the case. What you ride and the lengths of what you are riding are definitely a step up from our short dh SoCal trails. Maybe someone who is riding Whistler with a 7" setup could chime in.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
i have an SXT with a 8"/6" juicy 7 setup, and i can still lock up the rear wheel. that said, the bike also only weighs 34 lbs. a bigger bike/rider may need a 7", or even 8" rotor.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I run strokers, 8 in the front 7 in the rear, If your riding properly, you dont need 8in in the rear. Juicy sevens will have Plenty of stopping power running a 7 in the rear. I weigh 250 and have no trouble at all with a seven in the rear.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
thanks fellas. im about 150-160 with gear, and the bike isnt totally built yet but im going to shoot for around 41-42 lbs for the rig. so with all the info i have an excellent felling that 7" in the rear will be fine. ohh and most of the runs i do are longer runs so brake heat will be an issue, but i am confident with my weight and ridding style that it will be fine. thanks for all the info fellas it has really helped.