Quantcast

Brake fluid

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Is there any sort of rule of thumb for how long it takes an opened bottle of fluid to draw in water? My dad bled the brakes of his car with racing fluid a few weeks ago and has some left over that I am thinking about putting in my Hayes.

Thanks.

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
According to the hayes website DOT fuild absorbs water at a rate of 2%-3% a year so I wouldn't worry about a bottle that has been open for a week or two. Just make sure it is DOT 3 or 4.

I have an open bottle of DOT fluid in my tool box that has been open for a month or so, I wouldn't worry about bleading my brakes with it. But if your concerened about it, a bottle of DOT fluid that will blead a bunch of brakes is about $5.

here is the link to the hayes site:
http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/hayesu_product6.shtml

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
just a fluid with a higher BP then normal dot 3, 4, and 5.1. expensive and i think to much for bikes but if its there, and its only been there a few weeks, why not save youself some money.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
snoopz666 said:
just a fluid with a higher BP then normal dot 3, 4, and 5.1. expensive and i think to much for bikes but if its there, and its only been there a few weeks, why not save youself some money.
Yup. Higher boiling point and its free. I figured why not. I'm also planning on lubing my chain w/ 10w 60 Castrol Racing Syntec. Its imported from Germany for use on BMW M cars and Mercedes AMG so I'm sure that it will make me faster. :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
caputo1989 said:
Mix 1 part mineral spirits with 2 parts of that engine oil.
Won't lighter fluid work even better? I heard that oldskool Kamikaze racers greased their hubs with it to reduce friction.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Repack said:
Won't lighter fluid work even better? I heard that oldskool Kamikaze racers greased their hubs with it to reduce friction.

Yeah they use too but it toasts out and you can mess the hub up. It's pretty commen to do it on track bikes since the races are so short it holds up ok.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
OMG this reminds me of a story about a customer who came into out shop.

Someone told him he needed to put some lighter fluid for his fork. So he put actual lighter fluid in it...he came in wondering why his fork felt weird, and explained to us about using lighter fluid...great day for sure.