Quantcast

Brake Force One

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The next generation hydraulic disc brakes has landed made in Germany by a teenager,claimed to be twice as powerfull then the other disc brakes,100% drag/noise free and it incorperates a hydraulic booster & the king of light weight brakes on the market. What will you end up with > Brake Force One!

Translated from the Belgium MTB website that visited Brake Force One HQ that also head a demo day.

Brake Force One is a new player in the market for disc brakes and after several years of experimenting with prototypes have their brakes ready for the consumer market. The brake Brake Force One is revolutionary in many ways and we were honored to the brake to start testing in the German Munsingen, where we also got the chance to talk extensively with the creators of this brake concept.

The origin of this brake is a pretty funny story, at age 13, Jacob Lauhoff already have an idea for better braking. He immediately started designing the brakes and at age 14 he already had a working prototype. This prototype was made in the bike shop of his father using a simple lathe and parts he could find in the bike shop. Of course, the brakes at that time far from the look of the current types but the principle was already there But every time he went to a brake manufacturer to submit to his prototype, he was not treated as an adult, after all he was only 14 years, until Frank saw his brakes and was immediately convinced about the potential of these brakes. Fortunately, this report but otherwise we never write. The sequel can be guess, Brake Force One was created. The name was coined by the father and is a tribute to Air Force One, the plane of the U.S. president. du with Brake Force One "brakes for presidents." Six years after his first idea, the brakes in production and we received via the Belgium importer is any chance that one of the first to the paces and direct our questions to fire at Jacob.

On a Friday morning early we got together with Ian Hip-c direction in Munsingen left Germany, a trip of more than one way to 500kilometer the brakes on a first test. When we arrived at the mountain bike trail Munsingen few bikes were already waiting for us, a mix of Ghost, Bionicon and some lesser known brands. Because Tune was there with them the slimmed down version of the brakes, the Kill Hill. Most bikes were thus assembled with components such as Tune Tune hubs, cranks, stems, etc.

We were curious about the operation of the brake and got a detailed explanation of Jacob, the designer. The idea was to provide a brake to design powerful yet modular, according to Jacob properties that no existing disc possession. The operation of the brake is in fact based on a further control valve, called the booster piston which are embedded within the caliper. For the system of this brake we start to understand best from the brake lever. In contrast to most of the brakes on the market, there is a brake force one out of a closed braking system. The brake lever is not therefore an expansion tank, and can therefore be performed very compact. There is a radial piston in the brake handle which is much greater than the competition. The settings in the handle, the position of the lever and the distance to the pads which is set by the radial piston preload.

The power of the system lies in the additional piston for the caliper is, at first glance it seems this is a second smaller piston, but in reality it is a valve. The operation of this valve is as follows: when the lever is pulled by the rider, the valve is opened in the piston and flows to the oil directly from the brake lever to the large cylinder and the brake pads to move forward to the target.

When the brake pads of the disc begins to go, the pressure at the back of the regulating piston, until the moment that the pressure in front and back is the same. At present, the control valve closed, and moves the piston so that the entire force structure changes, at this time there will be a leverage effect in creating more pressure on the master cylinder and thus much more braking power is exercised.

The heart and power of this system lies in the size of the regulating piston and that is something which the people of Brake Force One have done a lot of work. In addition to the system of the regulating piston, which is currently patented is, there are still a number of tricks in this brake processed. The handle itself is made ​​entirely of carbon, the handle is manufactured by "injection molding". The piston is made of Bakelite, and keeps the pad by means of a magnet fixed. The caliper is made ​​from aluminum.

All parts are manufactured in Germany itself. Thus, all carbon parts made ​​by a small family business that only a few kilometers from the headquarters is situated. That way there is also a close cooperation between the subcontractors and Brake Force One itself. Tests show that the stopping power of this system is extremely high. Brake Force One also claims that heat despite the closed system is not a problem. Tests showed that the temperature never above 110 degrees Celsius. Because the distance of the piston to the brake pads is large, and in that the brake lever makes use of a large piston, the expulsion of the oil hardly any influence by temperature increase.

The brake is currently available in a version which weighs about 200 grams excluding disc. The brake discs are also Brake Force One developed and they are available in 140, 160, 160 and 203 mm. The special thing about these discs is that they put out despite the undulating shape and perforations to create a consistent brake feel. This will reach to the braking surface to hold as constant as possible, with a result of 98%, this is best able to as!

Brake Force One now works together with Tune to a super-light version of their brakes, the "Kill Hill" poorly put 190 grams on the scales! This is the lightest disc brake on the market. To achieve this, it has been milled away all what was possible. Also the rear of the brake pads is made ​​of aluminum to reduce the weight as much as possible to print. In the aluminum backing has been a steel insert is made in order to ensure that the brake pads are still magnetically held in place may be. The caliper itself is about 10 grams lighter, the pads also about 10 grams and it is also used titanium bolts in the handle and adapter. The brake disc, which, moreover, in the version Tune also is available in 140 mm, is provided with a logo and Tune the brakes will be in all the known Tune colors can be obtained

Brake pads for the atrium were developed and are available in different compounds. The pads are also available in versions for the most common disc brakes.

Brake Force One is now truly ready to conquer the consumer market. We were told 466 sets ready and already approximately 10.000 sets ordered by whole salers. The brakes will be distributed in countries like Germany, Belgium, France and even Thailand and Saudi Arabia.

Enough said about the theory, the key is how the brakes are worn on the field. The first bike that we tested had a Ghost was equipped with these brakes and of course a complete final assembly of Tune. At first sight sees the brake lever is very short, but after the test, we must conclude that this is more than enough. The brake lever gives a different feeling compared to all other current brakes. Once the lever inknijpt feel a little more resistance, that is because the brake oil directly through the system is running. You feel a little change once the "air gap" between pad and disc is closed and then feel the powerful and progressive braking to stop. The brake can be really very light and with a finger operated. There is absolutely no drag, squeaking, creaking or other noises. If you look at the claw is clearly the large distance between blocks on disk, so what explains this. After a few laps we were too used to the brakes and we must conclude that the people of Brake Force One have done a great job. But because the brake is still brand new, it may be that there are teething problems that emerge only in the long term. We look forward to an endurance test with these brakes to do.

Weights (self-weighted):

- Lever Caliper + = 210 grams
- Lever Caliper + Tune Kill Hill = 181 grams
- Disc rotor 140mm (Tune only) = 55 grams
- Disc rotor 160mm = 97 grams
- Disc rotor 180mm = Oops, forgot to weigh
- Disc rotor 203mm = 166 grams

The target price for a brake (levers + caliper) is around 390 euros. In the future there may follow a special offer for the visitor mountainbike.be in cooperation with the importer.

More pics:

The pads are magnetic hold on the master cylinder

Aluminum caliper housings

Box full of carbon match makers

Parts from the levers

4 colour ways of the Brake Force One brakes that are available

The brake lines are made of silicone and are very flexible

The Master Cillender

Box full of parts for the brake

Also check Bikerumor:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/09/meet-brake-force-one/#more-39819

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
this is what shimano tried to do with servo-wave but compared to this, failed miserably. i've seen an explanation on how these exactly work somewhere, i'll post it if i can find it.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
meh! wait for two years, if they are still in business, you may have a winner. until then i don't think this is superior to most of the current disc brake offerings.
much ado about nothing, and pricey nothing at that.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Seems that they have some QC issues. Over at mtb-news the first users weren't overly enthusiastic about the performance...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Seems that they have some QC issues. Over at mtb-news the first users weren't overly enthusiastic about the performance...
That's the biggest problem with brakes. You can have the most space tech model ever but if it's unconsistent it's crap and even the biggest companies had problems with that. I'm with Was on this.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
promises a lot, but looking at the reviews at the german sites by users, as said above, not the best.

Concept wise, its amazing i think- but i will stick to my shimano or Formulas.

Pricewise, too high for me to try, when its not a proven product in any way.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
dunno about the pricing in the usa, in germany it was somewhere between 750,- and 900,- €

bikeparts -> crc or bikemailorder or something else, there is an abundance of mailorder shops with competetive prices.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
dunno about the pricing in the usa, in germany it was somewhere between 750,- and 900,- €

bikeparts -> crc or bikemailorder or something else, there is an abundance of mailorder shops with competetive prices.
Bikemailorder is actually competitive? I'm yet to snatch a good price from there. I've had some luck with hibike or haibike (one is a shop, other a bike company, keep mistaking them).

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Bikemailorder is actually competitive? I'm yet to snatch a good price from there. I've had some luck with hibike or haibike (one is a shop, other a bike company, keep mistaking them).
the trick is to get the bmo customer card for 20eur. should give you 10% for a whole year, i ordered it like 5-6 years ago and still get the 10% ;)

for shimano stuff bike-components is usually the cheapest store. i dont order much from other stores...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Even CRC is more expensive in Germany than in the USA... makes no sense.
because we need to pay the uk VAT? is the buyer INSIDE the EU, you pay the VAT from the country you're ordering in. if you order from outside the EU, you don't need to pay any VAT, but maybe taxes/custom in your home country...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
10% is not really much. It's good because it's a consistent discount but if you look around you can find stuff cheaper than -10%. Though it's not a bad idea for some stuff you can't find.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
who's cheaper for you?
A local shop gives you up to 12% if you are a frequent buyer. I buy through a friend and it works. Rowerowy.com if you feel like buying(very good prices for mondraker and a few other products). I also have some other deals but I wasn't talking about a consistent discount. I was talking that it's hard to find something discounted a lot on bike mailorder and there are a few euro sites that once in a while offer stuff at large discounts.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
A local shop gives you up to 12% if you are a frequent buyer. I buy through a friend and it works. Rowerowy.com if you feel like buying(very good prices for mondraker and a few other products). I also have some other deals but I wasn't talking about a consistent discount. I was talking that it's hard to find something discounted a lot on bike mailorder and there are a few euro sites that once in a while offer stuff at large discounts.
http://26bikes.com/Brands/Marzocchi <-- are you kidding me!?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Marzocchi has a really bad distro in Poland. I mean bat**** insane with prices. Also the int. site looks way different.

But I also see that the international shop prices are waaaay of the ones we get in Poland. 2550 Euro for the Summum Frame when we in Poland in the same shop (Polish version) pay 1900 EUR for it. Also the price went up by 200 euro from 2011.

Though if you want to get dartmoor parts go to dirtshop.pl. Not sure if they finalised the euro prices but they want to be competitive. Don't know if they are allowed to send to germany since there is a Dart distro there.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
How so? I haven't heard too much about them, but recently saw that distributors just got their first shipment in.
they are waaaaaaaaaay too expensive. these brakes need to be priced 10% over the xtr at most. anything more and nobody will be buying them...

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
they are waaaaaaaaaay too expensive. these brakes need to be priced 10% over the xtr at most. anything more and nobody will be buying them...
Xtr brakes are always cheaper than Formula's and Magura's high end brakes any day of the year

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
More discussion about this valve/booster, less Euro whining about prices.

Edit: Just read the Bikerumor article and now I understand the valve. Ingenious way to bring the pads in quickly, then make power. Much better than Shimano's method of doing it with the lever's fulcrum. I think the potential weak point will be that the pistons move in and out more than other brakes so issues and inconsistencies with the seals will be magnified. Piston seals seem to be the weak point of most brakes though and the usual cause of drag and uneven movement. Paging SKF to the white courtesy phone.......

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It seems like a clever idea to me, especially from a young mind.

What I don't really understand is why it has to be a closed system. He seems to "excuse" the backwards step by saying it's okay because there is a lot of free distance between pad and rotor, but that's still going to result in changing lever throw/feel with temperature.

I don't understand why you couldn't implement the same idea with a traditional open system lever, which would probably be a better idea especially in DH applications.

Hip-C

Chimp
Apr 11, 2012
Belgium
I see our article made it all the way to the US:thumb:
for all those who have more questions about these brakes, I can try to help U with that. Even those who are willing to try them out are welcome to let me know...