Quantcast

Brake line too short!

hierophant5

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
I'm new at hydrolic brakes. With that said I wish to get my daunting question answered. I just purchased a foes fly for 1550 it came with new "hayes nine " brakes for 8" disks. The problem I'm having is that the rear brake line is too short! I tried remounting the the brakes levers and no luck. The line is already running across the entire frame and is vey streched. I can't make any turns to the right cause the line might snap. Am I doing something wrong?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
hierophant5 said:
I'm new at hydrolic brakes. With that said I wish to get my daunting question answered. I just purchased a foes fly for 1550 it came with new "hayes nine " brakes for 8" disks. The problem I'm having is that the rear brake line is too short! I tried remounting the the brakes levers and no luck. The line is already running across the entire frame and is vey streched. I can't make any turns to the right cause the line might snap. Am I doing something wrong?
Yeah, the line is too short. Get a longer one and replace it. How long is the line on there. New lines are super long; I've never heard of anyone not being able to use one.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
hierophant5 said:
:think:

is your front brake line Ridiculously long maybe your mechanic put the short one in the back and the long one in the front

hierophant5

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
Well the mechanic being me, has found a solution to my problem I think. I ran the line through the right side of the frame. It freed about 3 inches. No i did not switch the front with the back. Though there was about 7-8 inches of diffrence betwee front and rear. The fronts brake line is ridiculously long making things a bit weird...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
The last set of Hayes MAG's that I bought, both were rear length's for some reason. I had to cut both front and rear lines. Thank god it's easy though.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
hierophant5 said:
Well the mechanic being me, has found a solution to my problem I think. I ran the line through the right side of the frame. It freed about 3 inches. No i did not switch the front with the back. Though there was about 7-8 inches of diffrence betwee front and rear. The fronts brake line is ridiculously long making things a bit weird...
I did exactly the same thing with mine. Haven't had any problems, and it's better than shelling up yet another $35-40 for a new line and bleeder kit.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The front brake line is rediculously long? Maybe try to swap the brakes, and put the front one on the back. If you have the setup correct, then you might need a new line.

You should be able to get full motion (90 degrees each way) with your fork if you have a double crown. Any less than that and you might damage your brake.

hierophant5

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
hmmm i feel like a dumb ass. I figured out the problem. It turns out I had the 8" adapter put on backwards. Meaning it was taking up most of the slack. I still left the line throught the right side because it still was too short. It freed up an extra 2-3" of play. now i have a diffrent broblem. any one have a foes fly that has the front derailure retract when the rear suspension compresses?