Quantcast

Brake o-ring and Shimano grease

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Two questions...

Taking apart the brake mount on the lady friends Santa Cruz, I found the mounting bolts had little o-rings under adapter. Do they serve any purpose? None that I can interpret... Also seems odd, it looks two different types of thread locker were used; one with that weird white stuff found on Sram stuff and the other had the thick Shimano blue stuff.

And speaking of Shimano, does anyone know what kind or brand of grease they put on their bolts? Taking apart this Santa Cruz, it looks like they used something similar, that yellowish opaque grease. It always seems to last a long time and doesn't get washed out, which is why I'm curious.

I've been using some red type farm tractor grease the last few seasons. And while it works and water doesn't seem to touch it, it absolutely STINKS and is very "ropey".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Are they there to try to reduce resonance?
I found the best way to get rid of noisy Shimano brakes is to buy Magura brakes.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Those are there to hold the assembly togeather so you don't have to Chase all the parts around the garrage, and spend 45 mins looking for each piece