Quantcast

Brake pads, advice please...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
OK, I have magura brakes. Over some time in storage my pads for my front brake got oil on them, and probably got some on the rotor too. I have asked for advise a few times now and so far I have:

- soaked the rotor and pads in rubbing alcohol
- washed the rotor with water and Dawn dish soap
- put the pads in boiling water and later used Dawn on them too

They still don't work, although those ways were meant to be ways of cleaning them. So, should I get new pads? If I get new pads will I need a new rotor, or do you think the pads are the only problem? The rotor does have some dark rings on it from the pads, it will not come off.
So should I:

-get new pads
-get new pads and rotor

???
I really dont want to have to buy a rotor because they arent as cheap as pads, which I can get here . :(

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Believe it or not, you can burn it off. Hit them with a propane torch until the oil is burned off or stick em in the oven for a while if you don't mind your roast potatoes tasting like brake oil. The pads and backings are made to resist incredible heat and will be fine. They're useless anyway unless you can get the oil out of them.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
jaydee said:
Believe it or not, you can burn it off. Hit them with a propane torch until the oil is burned off or stick em in the oven for a while if you don't mind your roast potatoes tasting like brake oil. The pads and backings are made to resist incredible heat and will be fine. They're useless anyway unless you can get the oil out of them.
Useless right now, but I ride anyway. I'll have to try that tomorrow, if I can find the torch...I should have thought of that, of course try burning them. :sneaky:

J

JRB

Take the pads out and hose them off with disc brake cleaner from the parts store.

J

JRB

dwaugh said:
But if I get new pads, is the old rotor ok? Can I burn it too? :cool:
Seldom will you hear me say, "trust me". Rarely, should you, but I am telling you. A $2 can of disc brake cleaner will heal your ills. Go to the parts store. Make sure you are far away from your paint, seals, and plastic though. It is pretty caustic. Works well to strip chains, too.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where do I use this cleaner, on the pads, rotor, or both? Sorry but I'm just learning all this stuff.

I think my pads were soaked in oil, I dont know for sure. I might get new ones anyway. I heard that Dawn was supposed to work on the rotor for sure because it removes oil, and oil cant soak into the metal rotor. Right?

J

JRB

dwaugh said:
Where do I use this cleaner, on the pads, rotor, or both? Sorry but I'm just learning all this stuff.

I think my pads were soaked in oil, I dont know for sure. I might get new ones anyway. I heard that Dawn was supposed to work on the rotor for sure because it removes oil, and oil cant soak into the metal rotor. Right?
Use it on both. It won't hurt. Metal is actually porous, to some extent, so it can soak it up, depending on the type. Alcohol will actually work, but to remove the oil, the cleaner will work. It is designed to clean pads that were soaked in fluid. I wouldn't use Dawn, because you will likely not ever get it totally rinsed off.

J

JRB

dwaugh said:
I already used Dawn on pads and rotor, is that not a good thing? How long should I soak the pads and rotor in the cleaner...?

Is this the kind of stuff to get?
It will work, yes. It will take the soap off. The rotors, just spray them and wipe them off with a dry rag. The pads, soak them and let them dry. It won't take long. They will dry fast.

*do not ever use heat on a rotor. It can warp them, and will alter the temper, making them warp, or possibly fail.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Burning worked! My brakes stopped me for once, but then... they died. Is there any special way to bleed a brake so that it will NOT loose pressure? :confused: Because I cant seem to make it work for any longer than a day.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dwaugh said:
Burning worked! My brakes stopped me for once, but then... they died. Is there any special way to bleed a brake so that it will NOT loose pressure? :confused: Because I cant seem to make it work for any longer than a day.
Once again........................................Buy Hopes :blah:

A trick magura tech told me worked great for bleeding. Bleed in both directions. hook up your syringe full of oil to the caliper, remove resevior cap on the lever, push entire syringe of oil through the system. You will have to use a second syringe to suck oil out of resevior as you go. Then reverse the process. Fill resevior with oil and use the syringe on the caliper to 'suck' the oil back through the system. you will need to keep refilling the resevior as you go. WARNING!!!!! Make sure the resevior ALWAYS has ample oil in it when pulling the oil back through the system or you will just pull more air into it.

Sometimes air can get trapped in the caliper, this insures all air is removed. When I had bleeding issues this worked great!!! I had pumped several syringes full through the system and still had fading brakes....one time 'sucking' the oil through and a bunch of bubbles came through and my brakes have been flawless ever since!!!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
PsychO!1 said:
A trick magura tech told me worked great for bleeding. Bleed in both directions. hook up your syringe full of oil to the caliper, remove resevior cap on the lever, push entire syringe of oil through the system. You will have to use a second syringe to suck oil out of resevior as you go. Then reverse the process. Fill resevior with oil and use the syringe on the caliper to 'suck' the oil back through the system. you will need to keep refilling the resevior as you go. WARNING!!!!! Make sure the resevior ALWAYS has ample oil in it when pulling the oil back through the system or you will just pull more air into it.

Sometimes air can get trapped in the caliper, this insures all air is removed. When I had bleeding issues this worked great!!! I had pumped several syringes full through the system and still had fading brakes....one time 'sucking' the oil through and a bunch of bubbles came through and my brakes have been flawless ever since!!!
Sounds like a good idea, Maybe I'll try this... but I'm still gonna sell the brakes, I'm buying hayes like I've been told to. ;)

J

JRB

My new avid juicys feel tons better than my hayes did, or my louise did. They are new, so I can't speak for long term.