Quantcast

Brake Pads and brake pump

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My 9000 series XTRs were amazing. Were. I'm now back to where they feel great after a bleed, but the bleed only lasts a couple of rides then they get spongy and unpredictable again.

My pads are getting a little old, but I'd say there's still about 50% of thickness left.

Is this to be expected? I thought there was supposed to be enough fluid in the reservoir to make up for pad wear.

If I need to warranty another XTR brake, I'm getting TRPs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My 9000 series XTRs were amazing. Were. I'm now back to where they feel great after a bleed, but the bleed only lasts a couple of rides then they get spongy and unpredictable again.

My pads are getting a little old, but I'd say there's still about 50% of thickness left.

Is this to be expected? I thought there was supposed to be enough fluid in the reservoir to make up for pad wear.

If I need to warranty another XTR brake, I'm getting TRPs.
I usually follow up a bleed a few days later with a quick-bleed to get the stuff that has migrated up to the lever. If it's still getting spongy, it's because the seals are slowly leaking, not pad wear.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I usually follow up a bleed a few days later with a quick-bleed to get the stuff that has migrated up to the lever. If it's still getting spongy, it's because the seals are slowly leaking, not pad wear.
The follow up bleed works, but only temporarily. I guess I get to enjoy more of the warranty cycle. Again.

I’ll try another full bleed and change the pads first though.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Did you top them up with wheel & pads in place? That usually helps.
This would be the equivalent to the “follow up bleed” mentioned above, right?

If so, yes. But I wasn’t seeing anymore bubbles.

I didn’t have time to mess around after my ride yesterday, but I probably should have thrown the funnel on there to see.

This shouldn’t be so necessary for “top of the line” equipment.

Call me crazy.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The follow up bleed works, but only temporarily. I guess I get to enjoy more of the warranty cycle. Again.

I’ll try another full bleed and change the pads first though.
Also, the warranty on xtr is 2 or 3 yrs, I forget which, but use the shimano xtr exchange program if you are within it. Make them pay for their lack of seal availability. You’ll feel better.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Also, the warranty on xtr is 2 or 3 yrs, I forget which, but use the shimano xtr exchange program if you are within it. Make them pay for their lack of seal availability. You’ll feel better.

Yeah... problem is I bought one from Jenson, and the other from chain reaction. Jenson has been great. It’s the one from CR I will have the problem with.

I have saints on my DH bike which is parked, so I can just use those. It’s just so annoying.

We do need a try it now emoji.

Though, I’d still never use it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah... problem is I bought one from Jenson, and the other from chain reaction. Jenson has been great. It’s the one from CR I will have the problem with.

I have saints on my DH bike which is parked, so I can just use those. It’s just so annoying.

We do need a try it now emoji.

Though, I’d still never use it.
I've done it through my local bike shop, even though I got them at places like Jenson. It's basically whether they want to call it in to Shimano for you, which if it's a decent shop, should come at little cost or maybe some beer.