Quantcast

Brake problems after tube change

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I popped a tube in my front tire and when I replaced it, my Hayes hydraulic disc brake in the front is VERY tight. I tried to bleed it a bit and seperate the pads, but nothing seems to really help. I have a Kona Cinder Cone. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Beth

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The only thing I can think of is that you've applied the brakes while the wheel was off. You need to slip a screwdriver in between the pads and really force them apart by twisting it...hold them there for a few seconds, then release. Then your wheel should go on, and you'll need to squeeze the brakes a few more times to re-set them.

You said you'd separated the pads already, but if this doesn't work, you'll need to take it to a shop. And if you 'bled it a little bit,' you might need to take it to a shop anyhow, unless you're really familiar with how to do this. Did you just squeeze fluid out of the system, or did you set the whole bleed kit up and actually bleed it? If you did fully bleed the system, remember that you need to spread the pads apart while the bleed nipple is open...you could possibly have over-filled the system, and the pads would thus not retract fully.

MD

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
What I used to do is leave the spacer or screwdriver in there for a 5-10min just for good measure. That's all it should be since they're still the same brake pads and same rotors.