Quantcast

Brake Question

Evo.

Chimp
Feb 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
Is there a noticeable difference between a 2 piston caliber and a 4 piston caliber? I currently have Elixir R's and have an opportunity to get a set of saint brakes really cheap. The Elixir R's work fine, I don't want to miss a great deal.

I do not race, but I am a heavier rider at 230lbs.

Just wondering if I should upgrade my brakes or put my money into something different.

I originally posted this on mtbr, but no replies...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you like the elixirs and they work fine why change? Change something that bothers you. Its not really a caliper problem but saints are more powerfull and should be more hassle free but have a bit less modulation. They are good brakes but if elixirs work spend your cash on something else.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I think you kind of answered your own question. The Elixers work fine so why change them. They get a bad rap in regards to bleeding, but I've done it many times on my bike and never had a problem. They feel as god today as they did 2 yrs ago. I personally don't care for the lever feel/design on the shimanos and would never run them because of that.

I just put a crap ton of money in upgrades on my bike and brakes were not one of them. The Elixers are light and they work..that is all I want. (that being said, I ride mostly at Highland, a place with minimal vert, so I cant speak for 20+ min steep runs.)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the saints will have a lot more power than the Elixr's.
i had the Elixrs and weigh about what you do and always felt like i wanted more power and the 4piston saints gave me that. BUT, my current 2 piston Formula The Ones have a tremendous amount of power.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i have both. the elixers work perfectly fine, but as kidwoo so frequently points out, whoever wanted less braking power? you shouldnt have to work to slow down if your running anywhere with 1K+ vert, get the saints

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Im rocking saints too,saints FTW

p.s I want my brakes either on or off,wich is wat I love bout the saints.

Evo.

Chimp
Feb 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the replies...

I ended up buying the Saints... My friend sold me a brand new set for $325 with two 203mm rotors. I couldn't pass it up, besides I can sell the Elixir R's and recover some money.

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
i'll hijack this thread a bit...

what are peoples opinions on the new hayes prime vs Avid codes (for DH racing). I have 2010 codes and love the lever feel, but they need a lever rebuild and I have the option to get the primes. Don't know what people think are the better brake for Dh. I am not a fan of those prime levers but have never actually ridden hayes brakes.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I am not a fan of those prime levers but have never actually ridden hayes brakes.
why arent you a "fan" if youve never ridden them?
that being said, the brakes just started shipping within the past few weeks to the general public. not too many people are on them yet.

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
why arent you a "fan" if youve never ridden them?
that being said, the brakes just started shipping within the past few weeks to the general public. not too many people are on them yet.
I mean that I have felt strokers (almost the same exact lever) in a parking lot, but have not done a run on a Dh course. So I don't like the flex and the thinness in the lever as compared to codes and elixirs.