Quantcast

Brake rotor material?

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
My BRAKING rotors are carbon steel that has been hardened, thats why they rust here in Monterey. I talked with my local CNC guy because I wanted a 170mm rotor made to fit my Manitou and he checked them out and he checked the material and said is was a high carbon steel which was hardened and it would run me about 150 bucks for a rotor. I do think the shimano rotors are stainless though, they never seem to rust out as quickly and when they do, they just pit/spot slightly.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea the ebc page shows that. its carbon/steel or stainless/steel.

F.O.G. call up Hope. they will make you a rotor that fits.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
DHS said:
yea the ebc page shows that. its carbon/steel or stainless/steel.

F.O.G. call up Hope. they will make you a rotor that fits.
Yeah seriously, and alot cheaper than $150 bucks a piece!

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
oh that custom rotor should set you back something like 40-70. i had some made for 45 a piece but they were for some Hope brakes anyway..
also try Galfer rotors, they make a ton. just be careful on width of them.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
you can also get aluminum rotors and carbon rotors.
i'll look up the thread.

edit:
there was a pretty in depth thread about disc brakes on here where different materials of pads and rotors were discussed intelligently but it seems to have dissapeared.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
CreeP said:
you can also get aluminum rotors and carbon rotors.
i'll look up the thread.
true but you need special brake pads. and now we're talking lots of money

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
I don't know what pads the new carbon bicycle brakes take, hell i don't even know if they work, but they are there. Aluminum pads have been available from Stan (as in no-tubes) since roughly the date of the thread i mentioned, around mid may of 2002, and don't require (off the top of my head) special pads. Stan also has a new rotor out which is coated alu, but i don't know more than that except it looks cool: