Quantcast

brake set up

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
i'm looking to get the best starting point for brake set up, as most of you know after coming off 8 inch hydro discs 990s etc feel pretty average.

so heres what i am planing

Lever: Dia comp tech 77s or Odyssey Modulator
Cable: Odyssey Braided
Gyro: SST Orgy with GTX top plate
Caliper: Odyssey Evolver
Pads: Odyssey 1x4

comments/review/opnions?

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
is simple green a glass cleaner? we don't have that exact product here in australia but i think i know what your on about (yeah i used the search but i wanted to know more about products than setup)

thanks

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Yeah it's kindof an all purpose/glass cleaner. It often comes in condensed form so you're supposed to dilute it. I don't. Basically as far as I understand it cleans the rims and leaves a sticky film also. You have to re-apply every once in a while but it works real well.

For your parts choice, I'd say it's spot on. I have the modulever and I really like it. it simplifies cables up by the lever. I also have the Odyssey brakeline cables and they look cool. I haven't really noticed a difference. I would like to run the Evolver because I think it would be stiffer than my current brake but I have no experience with it.

I guess you might want to run dual lower cables. I hear it works better. But again I don't know. Basically you just get used to not as good as disks braking on your bmx.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
While we're on the subject of BMX brakes, can anyone tell me why U-brakes like the 990s are used and not V-brakes? I see Vs on race bikes; does it have something to do with cable pull and gyros? I've just never ridden a U-brake that had anything on Vs. :(

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by dromond
While we're on the subject of BMX brakes, can anyone tell me why U-brakes like the 990s are used and not V-brakes? I see Vs on race bikes; does it have something to do with cable pull and gyros? I've just never ridden a U-brake that had anything on Vs. :(
For park and street you just don't need that much power. V-brakes would waste your rims for nothing.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by Echo
For park and street you just don't need that much power. V-brakes would waste your rims for nothing.
I disagree. I would be much happier riding park and street with v-brakes. I have never felt a brake that was too powerful.

I would really like better brakes for park. When I jump onto the deck of at the park I have to be careful because my 990's don't stop me for like 4 or 5 feet. This is of course with not very much speed to start with. If someone is up on the deck I can't jump up with them some of the time because I can't avoid them. I could with v's. I guess it's all personal preference.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
ok got my gtx sealed gyro plates (which look like they have had 100 times more engineering than the orignal SST plates) and the new calipers. i really want to throw them now on but the Evolver came with a "london mod" so you can run dual cables all the way from the gyro to the brake, i like this idea coz then i can run normal cables and get a bit more adjustment, but is it any better than split cables?

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
I disagree. I would be much happier riding park and street with v-brakes. I have never felt a brake that was too powerful.
I really don't see any advantages with U-brakes. I just rode a carefully set up BMX with no Gyro and good cables and it still felt mushy and not too powerful. Why aren't there more street/dirt bikes with V-brake mounts? Is it resistance to change? The fact that lots of folks run gyros? It's one thing that's seriously scaring me away from BMX, I'm picky about brakes.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I don't have a problem with power on my BMX brakes, a little Simple Green and I can lock up the rear wheel no problem.

Brakeless is not safe, and I will continue to have people removed from the skatepark if they show up there brakeless.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well. Personally, I use a London Mod on my bike, and it makes my brakes feel about a million times better than the stock SST cables. I still think I'm just going to lose the Oryg anyway.

I'm not really getting that much use out of the thing, and it just seems to make adjusting and setting up my brakes more difficult than it should be.

I also use a dragonfly lever and upper cable, and I like it. A lot. Better than my friend's modulevers, but that could just be the way his brakes were set up. Either way, it's something to consider.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
thanks for that RandomV, i just like the idea of the london mod so i can use normal cables (my LBS isn't big on BMX parts)

thanks for your help everyone

Graham

Chimp
Nov 8, 2001
Simcoe, Ontario
Well...I've seen a lot of success with London Mods, and Dragonfly cables. However - I'm a big fan of straight cables. As long as you're not doing double barspins, or multiple tailwhips, I don't find a need for a gyro. I run Ody. evolvers with a regular jagwire cable and housing, with the stock 1X4 pads, on a chrome rim, on a Tech 77 lever. Odyssey has a new linear slic cable - which doesn't bind at all at all - it's the same idea as a derailleur cable, it's totally compressionless...But holds up in the brake of a BMX. I'd go for it if I were you...but shyte, if you already have a GTX, hook that up with a Dragonfly cable, along with a London Mod, chrome rims and 1X4 or 2X4 pads.