Quantcast

brake set-ups

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
Hay guys I have been seeing bikes with disc in the front and v's in the back, why is this. Its mostly on urban style bikes but Im woundering what the advantage this would have.
THANKS

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Grindage.

If you like to grind, you don't want to be doing it to your disc.

I'm sure there are other reasons. Trials riders really seem to like rim brakes, too.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
I have this on my XC race bike, there is no real need for discs in the rear. All your stopping power comes from your front, the rear is just there to control speed, so you can drop a lot of grams and still maintain the usability with V's in the rear.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
TheMontashu said:
i heard you bake brake takes ALOT more pounding on a hard tail and u can **** up a disc calaper
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

When discs were new technology, some frames didn't have rear disc mounting tabs yet...but newer forks had them, so they'd just put the brake up front. Same thing for people upgrading older bikes.

As for V-brakes being just as good in the rear, that's a crock. True, if you've only got one disc, it sure as hell better be up front, but a disc in the rear is that much better than a V in the rear as well. There's no comparison, especially when you're dealing with wet conditions.

MD

Edit: Street bikes don't generally need a lot of braking power, so they tend to be the last vestige of V-brakes in mountain biking aside from really old-school XC riders.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
TheMontashu said:
i heard you bake brake takes ALOT more pounding on a hard tail and u can **** up a disc calaper
Dude, can you PLEASE try to learn some grammer and spelling. At first it was funny, then after a while it was a little sad, now it's just plain annoying. Not to be rude, but man your posts are hard to read. Especially when I am sneaking in my Monkey time at work and need to skim most of the posts fast.

As for the brake issue, MikeD summed it up well.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
In terms of trials/street riders, a disc is just one more thing to get f**ked up if you are grinding, stalling, etc. Also, especially for trials, you don't need modulation, alll you need is power to lock the brake. Rim brakes are best for that.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, disc brakes can break frames when used for trials...they put some high stresses on it, especially for backward movents.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I think really vee brakes in the rear is more of an image thing than anything else for the "core" riders, just like riding brakeless is cool for BMX. Sure you can ding up a disc if you're grinding and maybe you could break a frame but in reality how many people do you see ridding that are really skilled enough that a vee brake is going to make a differance. On the other hand, how many people do you see riding downhill or cross country who really have the skill to make disc brakes worth while?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Kornphlake said:
I think really vee brakes in the rear is more of an image thing than anything else for the "core" riders, just like riding brakeless is cool for BMX. Sure you can ding up a disc if you're grinding and maybe you could break a frame but in reality how many people do you see ridding that are really skilled enough that a vee brake is going to make a differance. On the other hand, how many people do you see riding downhill or cross country who really have the skill to make disc brakes worth while?
So vee brakes are for posers, disc brakes are for posers, and brakeless is for posers. Got it.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Kornphlake said:
uh huh. So you're saying the same brakes on my bmx that can hardly stop me on my 15lbs bike can stop me and my 45lbs bike (with tires that weight more than my bmx frame) while decending a ski-resort style downhill and not fade/catch fire/explode?