Quantcast

brake size

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
tried searching the forum, but cant find much answers...

im about 120-130lbs...what size brakes (front/rear) would be good? dunno if 203 is too much...but then again, would i really wanna sacrafice stopping power for a lil weight?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what kind of riding do you do? your trails? what bike are you on? hydraulic or mechanical?

also, for your weight, a quality brake with a 6" rotor would probably be just as strong as a mediocre brake with a 8" (203mm) rotor.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
what kind of riding do you do? your trails? what bike are you on? hydraulic or mechanical?

also, for your weight, a quality brake with a 6" rotor would probably be just as strong as a mediocre brake with a 8" (203mm) rotor.
mostly downhill, lil bit of freeride. Diablo is my local park.
not sure what frame im going for yet.
Avid Juicy 7 was one of brands i was looking at.

but ya, im not gonna buy a cheap brake. and for the Avid's, the dif between 6 and 8 inch is like less than 10 bucks. so its not like im trying to save some money.

just wondering if theres such thing as too much brake

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for you, i'd recommend going with 8" front, 6" rear. You could probably get by on a 6" front, but the front is where you get most of your actual stopping power so that's where i'd recommend having the larger rotor.

i used to ride diablo regularly until I relocated to SoCal, so the 8/6 combo should work out great for you based on your weight and diablo's terrain. If you're uncertain, then go with 8/8 to be on the safe side.. Doesn't avid also make like 7" rotor?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I'm running a 203 front 185 rear Code 5's. 203 on the back is overkill for me, I weigh about 175 w/ gear....

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
tmeyer you also have to remember your running codes man. if i was running codes i could get away with 7" rotors or even 6" all around. with juicy 7's i wouldnt feel safe with anything less than a 7" rotor, and im only 150 lbs-155lbs with gear on.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
The majority of people will get enough stopping power with any sized rotor. The bigger ones, however, not only deliver higher leverage, and thus power, but also have higher heating and cooling capacity, preventing premature brake fade during long braking descents. This varies depending on many factors - brake type, pad type, braking habits, brake usage balance (F/R) etc. Basically a lighter rider will get away with a 7/7 combo, but everything depends.

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
Im 170 lbs and I run 7 and 7 works fine. I tried someones bike that had 8 and 8 and forgot about the stoping power and kept over pulling the lever. Felt like I would go over the bars.