Quantcast

brakeless/ freecoaster bmx

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
What are the pros and cons of a freecoaster?(im not sure if that's wut its called, where ur wheel can spin backwards without the chain spinning too)
How does everyone ride brakeless and still do tiretaps and everything they do?
What are the pros and cons of brakeless?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Freecoaster
Pros: Allows you to roll back easier, silent
Cons: More maintenance, cost, durability, weight, engagement, silent

Brakeless
Pros: Lighter, smoother, less work, makes you become a better rider, feels cool
Cons: Can't slow down :-)D), manuals/abus/fufs are harder

Do do what you call tiretaps, you use pedal pressure to balance on a coping or edge of a ledge, then hop off. It's easy.

Freecoasters aren't super easy to use, you should have good fakie balance with a cassette before you go to one. It's not magic.

Vinny A

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Philly
Bicyclist has it down, not too much more to say about it. I'd stick with brakes and a cassette hub if your just starting.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
if you do both brake less freecoaster tire taps are super hard
even with the least amout of slack on you coaster hub.

with max what i run its about impossible.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
man i have like three days on my geisha now, two on full slack and lately on half slack and it is a bitch to get used to. manualing is hard without chain tension, hopping out of 180's 9ie halfcab'S)ARE FOR SOME REASON MUCH TOUGHER AND THE FACT THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO BACK PEDAL YOU FIND YOURSELF GOING 4X FASTER THAN NORMAL ON STUFF, BUT BEING ABLE TO BUNNY HOP (god damn caps lock piece of crap) barspin and tailwhip going forwards and backwards is the hottness

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i never thought i did, but trying to manual with slack in the hub makes it feels really weird, its hard to explain but i just cant seem to manual as far or as consistently as before. maby its just me but yea

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
man i have like three days on my geisha now, two on full slack and lately on half slack and it is a bitch to get used to. manualing is hard without chain tension, hopping out of 180's 9ie halfcab'S)ARE FOR SOME REASON MUCH TOUGHER AND THE FACT THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO BACK PEDAL YOU FIND YOURSELF GOING 4X FASTER THAN NORMAL ON STUFF, BUT BEING ABLE TO BUNNY HOP (god damn caps lock piece of crap) barspin and tailwhip going forwards and backwards is the hottness
cabing out is hard on 24/26 wheels.

i have been using brakes , not full lock but just enough.

also have been trying to 90 the front wheel to scrub speed

then use it to turn around the front end.

they are super fun though. i have the concrete ramp

thats uphill and i can sprint into it and 180 off land and

coast around 180 back down the hill i little.

the speed going back wards makes it easier. just like

riding forward slow is hard to balance.