Quantcast

Brakes. I needs them.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Kranked, how are the Outlaws working out for you? I have heard good things, and I have a set on the way, but I just want to know what to expect. I had intended to lace Hadleys to 729s, but went with the Outlaws once I figured out that I could get the whole set for less than the cost of just the front wheel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey dude, i know you're asking him but I have a set too. I slapped mine on and went riding, though some people tension theirs first. I have a season on them and while I'm not a hard rider and didn't get a crazy number of days in, they lasted just fine with no flat spotting or wobbles but the bearings in the rear hub are a bit notchy when turned by hand. No weirdness on the trail though. They rear spokes feel a bit loose too, could probably use a retension.

I picked mine up for pennies and really don't regret it, though I would love a bling wheelset.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Kranked, how are the Outlaws working out for you? I have heard good things, and I have a set on the way, but I just want to know what to expect. I had intended to lace Hadleys to 729s, but went with the Outlaws once I figured out that I could get the whole set for less than the cost of just the front wheel.
so far i haven't had a single issues :knocks on wood: i've been keeping an eye on them for the normal spoke loosening of new wheels, but haven't seen anything noteworthy yet. I've been changing out tires like a mad man just experimenting, and getting things to seat properly is a non-issue.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
So I've got a Saint front on the way, but no rear, since that's all our main distributor had in stock. Do I

a) buy a rear somewhere else
b)save myself some money and weight and run an XT rear. The Saint has to be overkill anyway, yeah?
One big advantage of the Saints is that the pads have ~25% more surface area than the XTs and whatnot, which makes them a lot harder to overheat, which in my experience back brakes tend to do pretty easily if you're riding a lot of prolonged steep stuff. They're not overkill, I don't have any trouble controlling them. They really are just the right tool for the job on a DH bike.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
i've used shimano brakes for a long time starting with the original dual piston xt's. shimano brakes always feel great to me but at a certain point they've all had the lever go to the grip and i've yet to figure out why. i think the seals on the pistons get dirty or just worn out and air gets past them. it happens enough that i would like to try something different...like formula the ones. does anyone have any ideas on why this happens with shimanos?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So after one ride on the front Saint, I'm not too impressed. It's way down on power from what I remember from riding some others. I've got a full day of DH on it, so the pads better be bedded in by now. I am using an older Shimano rotor, and it was wet, but I'm really underwhelmed so far. Any thoughts?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
So after one ride on the front Saint, I'm not too impressed. It's way down on power from what I remember from riding some others. I've got a full day of DH on it, so the pads better be bedded in by now. I am using an older Shimano rotor, and it was wet, but I'm really underwhelmed so far. Any thoughts?
Yep - something is wrong. Water does make some difference, but it sounds more like you have oil on the pads/rotor, because when they're working properly they are stupidly strong.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yep - something is wrong. Water does make some difference, but it sounds more like you have oil on the pads/rotor, because when they're working properly they are stupidly strong.
I cleaned the rotor pretty well before I installed the new brake, but I'll throw a different wheel in there and see what that does.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Pad contamination? Clean rotors wont fix that. Are they mushy and in need of a bleed? Did you glaze the pads with a harsh break in? Mine are dead solid perfect right out of the box.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
New rotor = all better.

I'll go clean the pads up to be safe, and I'll throw that pair in back when my rear brake comes in. I'm not going to ride the bike between now and then anyway.

Last edited: