Quantcast

brakes new ones or upgrade?

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
right now i have hays mag 6 inch rotors that came on my coiler deluxe, while riding i lost complete brake power on my rear wheel, so im wondering should i upgrade to and 8" rotor and would this fix my problem, or should i just switch to different brakes

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
check out hope minis or juicy fives
but if you do lots of dh maby mono 4s or juicy sevens

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
ive done that but maybe it is time again so yeah i will, but how much power will i get if i switch to 8" rotor

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
it's stories like these that keep me from making the switch to hydros. I have the avid bb7 mechs (203mm front, 160 rear) on my rig right now, and I have to imagine that I'm giving up something in terms of stopping power and modulation. however, i never ever ever want to grab a handful of brake and discover that it's not there. probably my worst bike related nightmare other than shearing a head tube.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
skatetokil said:
it's stories like these that keep me from making the switch to hydros. I have the avid bb7 mechs (203mm front, 160 rear) on my rig right now, and I have to imagine that I'm giving up something in terms of stopping power and modulation. however, i never ever ever want to grab a handful of brake and discover that it's not there. probably my worst bike related nightmare other than shearing a head tube.
I dont think this should make you stay away from hydros. I have never tried a cable brake I liked, and the risk of grabbing the lever with "nothing there" is insignificiant small I think.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i woulds say saint brakes, or avid juicy seven. don't know much about the juicy, but i have heard that the saint stuff blows them away..............has anyone heard about the new brakes from avid that should be showing up late this season? i think there was some talk about them on nsmb

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
nobody has heard of these things then, so should i wait for them or just buy saint?? ^

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You could always upgrade to Goodrodge lines too. Upgrading to 8" will make a big difference.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you lost complete power to your rear brake while riding, an 8" rotor won't do anything. Look into it, there's something else that's wrong. Don't start replacing **** before you know you've looked at everything.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
skatetokil said:
well cable actuated discs are alright but they don't have the abrupt stopping power. They do have plenty of modulation though. hydros are the way to go for dh

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ChrisRobin said:
If you lost complete power to your rear brake while riding, an 8" rotor won't do anything. Look into it, there's something else that's wrong. Don't start replacing **** before you know you've looked at everything.
:stupid:
if you abruptly lost all power then the size of your rotors is NOT the problem.

skatetokill, this type of issue is rare. Make the switch to hydros, you won't regret it.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Ciaran said:
:stupid:
if you abruptly lost all power then the size of your rotors is NOT the problem.

skatetokill, this type of issue is rare. Make the switch to hydros, you won't regret it.
might regret not having 300 bucks in my pocket though. anybody got some cheap juicy 7's the want to sell?

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
cool im getting them bled adn upgraded to 8 inch rotors but can any one have info on those cool brakes from avid that is supose to come out later for 06

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
there is a write up from nsmb on page one, and multiple pictures that is the only info i can find on them

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
zmtber said:
yeah adam that is it. does anyone have any info on these things?
It is a prototype and might be available in the 07 season. That's about all anyone knows.