Quantcast

Brammeier and Teutenberg Capture Gold For HTC-Highroad in Road Nationals

Oct 20, 2009
<p>HTC-Highroad racked up another two victories and six medals in the National Road-Race Championships on Sunday as Matt Brammeier and Ina-Yoko Teutenberg claimed gold in Ireland and Germany, Judith Arndt and Kanstantsin Sivtsov took silver, and Amanda Miller and John Degenkolb claimed bronze.</p><p>
</p><p>
Teutenberg's win came after she and HTC-Highroad team-mate Judith Arndt powered away from the field early on the 112 kilometre course, building up a lead of five minutes.</p><p>
The two then crossed the line together, with Teutenberg claiming her second national title of her career, whilst Arndt added silver to her gold medal in the German time trial.</p><p>
</p><p>
Already the winner of the Irish time trial championships, Brammeier followed that great result up with another gold medal in the road-race event, outpowering Dan Martin (Garmin-Cervélo) and David McCann (Giant-Kenda) for the 40th win of the season for HTC-Highroad men's team.</p><p>
</p><p>
A bronze medallist on Friday's time trial, Teutenberg said "I attacked on the third lap and then Judith got across, and that was great because I knew I couldn't stay out there to the end by myself."</p><p>
</p><p>
"We had Lottie [Charlotte Becker] keeping control of things in the bunch so it was a good situation. With a lap and a half to go it was clear we were going to win. I told Judith she should get it because she had been stronger in the break, she said I should win because she'd already got a gold on Friday. At the end it didn't really matter, we both had had the same idea."</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's different to my first nationals win, because that was in a sprint. Today was a bit harder, but equally satisfying."</p><p>
</p><p>
Brammeier successfully defended his Irish Road Champion title of 2010.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I'm unbelievably happy to have won again. I just stayed calm throughout the race and made sure I was always at the front and not having to chase.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I saved everything for that last effort to be in the winning move and it paid off well! It was a close sprint but a win is a win!"</p><p>
</p><p>
HTC-Highroad finished the National Championships weekend with two road champions and seven time trial champions including Arndt, Brammeier, Grabsch, Fahlin, Sivtsov, Smukulis and Stevens.</p>

More...