Quantcast

Brand New 2001 Stinky Dee-Lux --Mistake?--

motobrandt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Ahg. I'm sensing a bit of buyers remorse setting in. I went shopping for my first bike in 7 years (Back Surgery :( ) and was setting my budget around $1300. I got to a pretty cool local shop and found the Rasta Stinky Dee-Lux. It's a 2001 frame that Kona found in their warehouse. Never ridden beefore.

I'm thinking, "Killer! I get to score a cool DH/FreeRide bike for $1500 instead of you know $2300-$2800... It's got a nice '04 Manitou Sherman SPV fork on it and an '03 Vanilla R Hayes HD brakes, but, like I said... It's been a long time since I've been into bikes and I'm scared of getting ripped off. :nopity:

Screw it I'm going for it $1500 I'm in. but now... It seems like it might be a bit too big. It's a 20" frame. I'm 6'2 so it's close but it seems like the topbar is a bit close to the jewels. Now the paint is getting to me. I'm really not one to stand out but damn if I don't on this beauty :dancing:

What to do? I just bought it 3 days ago. I love how it rides but the cosmo is killing me and the size?? well I just don't know. I'm a noobie all over again.

Anyone want to trade a 19" frame with a, ahem, more understated paint scheme? :confused:

Cheers

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
are you sure you are doubting the size because you don't like the paint or is the size really not to your liking? I say ride it around and try to forget about the paint. If it feels good size wise, ride the hell out of it for one season and scratch it all up, then send it to powder coat next season.

But remember, it is your 1500 bux, if you don't like it then sell the frame and get another and throw all the old parts on it.

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal, since it is your first season back you will probably be bailing or falling a lot (so don't get injured again)...just ride and enjoy it...don't let us internet geeks tell you what color is cool and what isn't.

I just got a 2002 specialized bighit, you know the one that is that ugly purple/brown color? It was brand new never been out of the box. i hated the color but couldn't pass up the great deal so I bought it. I took all the decals off of it and now I am liking it a little better. But everytime I am riding it I don't even think about the color and that is what is important.

If you were getting a brand new 2500 frame I would say don't settle for a color that you don't like, but sounds like you got a great deal on a great frame with good parts, enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: picture added, it can't be uglier than the color below!!!!!!hahahaha

motobrandt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Bellingham, WA
It's not that I think it's ugly. I think it's kind of a work of art really. The quality and the tone of the paint that Kona used is supreme but... I don't know... Seems like everything I have is black and I'm just not used to color. Hey does anyone want to trade my Red cranks for some black ones? :blah:

Attachments

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I just love the Rasta Stinky!

Like Echo said , its a classic!

But if you want an easy solution, just paint the green parts black and you'll be all set! :thumb:

motobrandt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Bellingham, WA
loco-gringo said:
Just send it to me. You won't be able to see it in Texas.
hehe :nope: easy now. Maybe I don't :heart: the color but damn that doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

But give me your address and I'll send you something. :evil:

:p :p

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
if you don't like the color put duct tape over it.

it comes in all kinds of crazy colors, even clear! :devil:

J

JRB

pnj said:
if you don't like the color put duct tape over it.

it comes in all kinds of crazy colors, even clear! :devil:
Uhm - it would just be ugly and sticky then.

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
bikes with plenny o travel will have a top bar ridin close to the jewels. At 6'2" that bike is perfect for you. Don't make the mistake of gettin a smaller frame than fits you properly cuz "I can really whip it around good!" Just ride it around, you'll get used to the size. Get it nice and dirty and you'll hardly notice the spiffy "look at me!" paint job.

motobrandt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Flakey Jake said:
bikes with plenny o travel will have a top bar ridin close to the jewels. At 6'2" that bike is perfect for you. Don't make the mistake of gettin a smaller frame than fits you properly cuz "I can really whip it around good!" Just ride it around, you'll get used to the size. Get it nice and dirty and you'll hardly notice the spiffy "look at me!" paint job.
Thanks mang, that's some solid advice.

I think I'll still try to see if someone want to trade my flash RED RaceFace cranks for some black ones. :D

In the meantime I'm getting it dirty.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Yeah I know it's ugly, but the size should be just right for you. Konas just look big and the standover feels big- I'm 6' and I ride a 19" 03 stinky deelux and it feels great. The whole "I can ride a smaller frame better" idea works until you have to pedal, then your knees pay the price. Great deal on a great bike, have some fun with it!

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
Keep it that way, back in those days were my favourite bikes kona ever made (nearly bought one)...
too bad it doesn't have a camo sherman on it ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I've always liked the look of that bike, but you've got a black fork on their, instead of the classic Zokes red one. So it will look alot better with black cranks, and yes i have some for trade check your personal messages let's do a deal, i live just down the road from you.....

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
Yeah, that's a killer ride. I had an '00 that got warrantied with an '01, so add the orange fork and seat and you get "Mango":

More pics here.

And yes, it did survive lots of shenanigans with a big fork and a big dude on it. Bottom brackets, that's another story.

What's up Victor!

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
Kona Bikes should never be considered a mistake..........That bike is my all time most favorite bike that I've owned. Keep it and work it and don't be so insecure about what your damn bike looks like. :think:

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
ha. i remember a couple years ago our lbs had one of those stinkies in stock. i wanted that bike so bad and thought it looked so sweet. but then i was like 9 or 10 and i like couldnt even pick it up. :)

StinkyJim

Chimp
Apr 4, 2022
How do fellow riders,
Just found this thread, I also just scored a Rasta Stinky Deelux for free! I found it in the "Free to take" pile at a garage sale the other day, she is in need of a bit of work but still has the beautiful paintwork and most components!
I wanted to tell someone about this but everyone I've spoken to don't even know the bike I've got! Now I'm starting to rebuild her to a rideable state.