Quantcast

brap for a downhiller

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
many of you guys also ride motos besides bikes.

am thinking about doing the switch...... coming from a downhiller perspective.. what would be an ideal "first dirtbike" 450 4t?, 300 2t?

something light and nimble?.. say less than 120kg???

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
many of you guys also ride motos besides bikes.

am thinking about doing the switch...... coming from a downhiller perspective.. what would be an ideal "first dirtbike" 450 4t?, 300 2t?

something light and nimble?.. say less than 120kg???
I don't ride dirt motos but I will say that after riding big squishy bicycles for years, it was pretty easy to jump on a supermoto for rippin' twisties on the pavement. I have a Suzuki DRZ 400SM that makes me smile just thinking about it. I think a bike that size is about right for a first bike that style (supermoto for pavement), but now that I've had it a few years I'm looking for more power.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
what's a 4t and 2t? 4stroke and 2stroke?

depends on what you want. for reference, i've been riding dirtbikes for 18yrs..
i've got a 2010 crf 450r. race ported head and cams by MDK racing (when they were around last yr), every performance enhancing mod you can do really, and done up suspension..

and have a 2011 ktm 300 2-stroke. just a rear silencer. everything else. i only ride the ktm now. aside from the better ergonomics, i just overall prefer the powerband from that particular 2-stroke. most 2-strokes can be real 'pipey'...meaning off-then-on powerband. the ktm is more linear and smooth, but still makes 49hp stock. i get less arm pump vs the crf, and can ride longer, faster, and harder.

it's a preference thing. most people enjoy the torquey powerband of a 4-stroke. if you got friends, ride one of theirs. if it's your first bike, maybe get a 250f 4 stroke. the power wont kill you, you can grow into it, and if you ride it right, hanging or beating ok guys on 450's wont be a problem.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
a 250 2t or 200 2t will be the closest to DH. That said, I prefer my KTM 450sxf. It's a bit heavy in super tight bar banging trails. However, it's awesome on a track and great in quad width trails. electric start too :)

I have had a couple of 250f's prior. They are closer to the feeling of a DH bike but they are all tempermental. None of them start good when hot, need more maintance than a 450, etc.

With any bike, preventative maintance is the key to keeping cost down.

Best advice is to ride some bikes and see what works for you.