Quantcast

Break In Bikey Ride

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Went to my cousins wedding in Inchelium, and on Sunday left early in the morn and rode at the Sherman Pass. Highway 20 inbetween Republic and Kettle Falls way above in the mountains above my tribes reservation. i really had a great time and i wish these trails were closer.

When i got to the trailhead there were two loops posted on the board. Sherman Peak loop and the Columbia Mt. loop, both of which are offshoots of the Kettle Crest Trail. With me being alone, not in prime riding shape, and the x-factor of the heat and the trailhead starting at 5575 feet up which is at the bottom of both loops, i decided i'd do these two loops. They are also close to the highway, and really i'm glad i did. Both loops were very satisfying, and were super fun. 13 miles all singletrack, i'd say 2500 ft. elevation change give or take for the combined 2 loops.

i rode the Sherman Peak loop counter clockwise. i'd highly recommend riding it this way if you don't want to get off the bike alot.

So it begins as a very challenging climb up Kettle Crest So. to the spur. Along the way the trail levels and the rock sections are not so continous. So it's a very fun climb. When you get to the Sherman Peak spur the trail is somewhat similiar thru the forest maybe a little easier, but with the lake and other neat features. A special feature of the trail is that it takes an unnecessary turn up toward a cool view of the side of the Peak littered with huge boulders. Loops back around almost running back into itself before breaking left and continuing, i absolutely love that in a trail. It's not just about getting from point A to B, it's soaking in all the goodness along the way.
Eventually you break into the opening that the 1988 White Mt. fire caused, and with that the awesome payoff of spectacular views, open alpine meadows, and the yin and yang of destruction and new growth.
Super nice, then back to the Kettle Crest to loop around the east side of the Peak. A descent that is a sweet sweet section of singletrack, ranging from open field smooth to rocky gnarl. Most of the trail is a nice combination of inbetween, with plenty of rocks to boot off from and catch a little air.

Overall a real gem even by itself, but if you continued on Kettle Crest South it's simply the beginning and end of an out and back adventure, that would drain you for 26 miles and i'm guessing thousand of feet of elevation change as it passes by multiple peaks mountains and buttes.
Also a side note i've discovered that if you shuttled from the 13 mile Campground down by the Sanpoil river next to my reservation up to Sherman Pass you could run a 38 mile XC run from Kettle Crest to the Barnaby Buttes#7 go up a little bit of forest road to Thirteen Mile Trail and down. From 5575 to 2020 feet elevation. That would be frikkin sweet......

The Kettle Crest North climb isn't bad at all. The elevation can get to you, but the forgiving terrain gives you a chance to admire the alot of cool rock features and a few nice views but nothing quite as epic as the other loop.
One view here where you can look back at Sherman Peak (you can see the trail line in the middle)

The spur up to the loop is pretty steep but strong climbers should do well. Much like a lollipop the trail spurs again and loops the mountain close to the top. With one more spur trail up to the top. This spur is pretty steep and pretty much a hike a bike all the way up.
This time i decided to do the trail clockwise and again i'm really happy with my decision, but it's very possible to do the other way as well.
Doing the hike a bike to the top is pretty much a coin flip, really there is not that great of a payoff view, but still some good ones, and the old fire lookout shelter is pretty cool, along with a fire place made of stone. But really i've been to the top once i doubt i'd go back up unless to show someone who wanted to see the stuff and to just have the satisfaction of summiting the mountain on a bike. But the Columbia Mt. Loop itself is fun fun fun little stretch and is totally worth the grind up. One section flows so well, awesome views to your left, and a benched cut section literally on a precipice of the mountain. You look to the side of the trail and it goes down and it's a long long way down, awesome.....

i can't even begin to mention all the possibilities of Kettle Crest North. Just doing that section as an out and back will be oh just a short 60 miles. 60 frikkin miles holy crap!!!! You could literally ride to Canada on this trail...
So many spurs along Kettle Crest, so many loop possibilities, so many trail ride options. Wow what a little Mt. Bike Mecca right above my rez.

If i was a east side mt. biker lookin for some sweet sweet technical XC this is such a nice nice spot. Just a couple hours from Spokane, it's a gem. During my ride i saw 3 freindly hikers and a bunch of free range cattle. No other trail users to be found.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I thought about riding up there when I lived in grand coulee dam area in the mid to late 90's, never did though. looks sweet.