Quantcast

Break-ins at SST

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Does anybody know if the police or any type of law enforcement, is going to step up the patroling at the SST car lot? 3 cars got broken into over the weekend.

I dont think it should be something we have to live with.

Maybe we should stakeout the area ourselves, and catch the fools that are doing this....or at least scare them away. Once they get scared away a couple of times, or they know we are doing something about it, they will look elsewhere.

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands!

Ash

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Netguy said:
Does anybody know if the police or any type of law enforcement, is going to step up the patroling at the SST car lot? 3 cars got broken into over the weekend.

I dont think it should be something we have to live with.

Maybe we should stakeout the area ourselves, and catch the fools that are doing this....or at least scare them away. Once they get scared away a couple of times, or they know we are doing something about it, they will look elsewhere.

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands!

Ash
Ash,

Did you get broken into? :( Hope not.

RhinofromWA
Kevin

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i would stay away from vigilante stuff, but if you got a camcorder and some time i'd say it would be worth the time. Cops just don't like doing any work, you catch them on tape, gives them more time for donuts.

i'm not certain about the status of the warehouses on the East side of the parking lot, but that might be an alternative.

Parking up the road next to the golf course is an idea but it is still secluded so you may still have problems there.

Up the steep hill to the West on 200th street is the old Maywood Elementary School. There is a parking lot you can use there.

The best place to go is where the BBTC'ers come in at. There are 2 entries from the Des Moines side that can work pretty good, but like the Maywood School will require a little bit of pedalling. Strategic parking time is needed too since all these places are going to open and busy perhaps.....

Just west of Pac Highway up on top of 216th at the Post Office or the Underwood Park there is some parking. Across the street to the left (west) you'll see an old road with a couple of concrete barriers. Follow the road down there will be a trail to the left, follow to a Y, then hang a right, down the steps to the bridge. Cross bridge ride up a ways take first trail to your left.
Here's the one BBTC'ers use for night rides there. Down at the bottom of the hill on 216th take a left on 11th and park at the Library, Cop Shop/Courthouse is further up, and there is Des Moines Park parking as well past the skate park. Watch your speed 25mph speed trap bottom of the hill for Des Moines pigs, has been for years.
Ride your bike up 216th, take a left on 14th ave all the way down to 212th st., climb up to the top of the hill you'll see a park entrance, ride past the old bmx jumps to your left (ancient site of original softies), Come to a Y take a left, ride down steps to bridge. Cross bridge ride up a ways take first trail to your left.

i also know of one more entrance to the park, but that's my secret, and i'll never tell.:cool:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
FYI, it is NOT a crime to touch the exterior of somebodies car. Meaning, if your going to get somebody busted, wait until they commit a crime before you intervene.

I foiled a pair of car prowlers on my street this summer. I wasn't really looking for a fight since I had a broken hand.
When the cop showed, he thanked me for my actions, but advised me to wait until they commited a crime so they could charge them with something.

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
i remember 2 mos ago when a sheriff was interviewing victims. vandals hit 3 different vehicles earlier & left broken window glass everywhere. smash & grab. if you pull in & someone suspicious is just sitting in their car w/ no bikes just get out, walk up to the car w/ pen & paper, write down the license #, car description & make it clear to them. then leave & park across creek in the warehouse lot.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
One of the things about the thieves is that everyone thinks they know what they will look like and what they will be doing (breaking in cars)when typically they see something else-what they want you to see. Its not unusual for the thieves to come in a group of three. Maybe one of the three is a woman. If its a hiking area they come in with packs and start messing with their shoes while someone is breaking into cars. If you were to see them you wouldnt realize they were breaking into cars because you would just see the people messing around with their boots. If you looked closer you might see they look like druggers but then you would think-that nice-druggers out for a hike or a bike.

Every now and then thieves actually do get beat to parade rest. Its usually not when a law abiding citizen catches them but when a family member or friend has been ripped off one too many times.:)

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I guess what frustrates me the most is the fact that the crimes that are taking place, forces us to use other alternatives to park, rather than using the "designated" area.
I am not looking at getting into any fights, however I do want to make these criminals think that we are doing something about it. Its either or continue to worry that you dont get broken into.
I am this close to camping out somewhere on the next weekend with my camera gear, and just waiting.

Yes, the police really dont seem to care.

I do usually park next door where all the trucks are. They have never said anything, so I guess I will continue to park there. I have even parked there on weekdays, and its all good.

Up by the golfcourse, seems like a good alternative, as its in the open.

Ash

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I've been recently considering doing a stakeout of the lot. I don't even drive but it is such a recurring event that even I am sick and tired of it. I seem to have the action photography thing halfway figured out. I need to work on my stealthy close-up shots.:sneaky:

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Oh, the police will care if you call in a 911 on a car prowl in progress, just don't expect them to get all excited over a report of a suspicious individual. I was coming back into the lot from a ride about a month ago, super early on a Saturday, and I found a sorta bummy transient looking guy sitting on the rock by the entrance with a 7-11 coffee just checking out the cars. My Jeep was right by him, so when I rolled up and started loading in it must have crimped his style because he took off walking up toward the federal pokey. Suspicious? Hell yes, criminal, not yet. I know a couple of private investigators who regularly do surveillance on similar situations for commercial clients and I can tell you that it's A: long, insufferably boring work sitting still somewhere staying focused enough to know what's happening but low-key enough to not draw attention, and B: very difficult to determine from a safe distance what is suspicious versus what is clearly criminal. By the way, there is very little in the way of clear sight lines into the parking area that are both useful enough for this purpose and not the place these asses are using to stake out marks in the first place. My bet is that someone sits in the bushes up above the east side of the parking lot and waits for the magic moments when no one is around, then hits it and screws to the pawn shop for Steel Reserve and crack money. I know I'm not bad-assed enough to want to meet them in the bushes for a heated debate on the finer points of morality...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
The only other way that WE can do anything is to make sure that there's at least one rider/group at the lot at any given time. I could only see that working on the weekends, but it seems that all the break-ins that promted this thread occured over the weekend.:think:

That's all I can think of as far as non-violent means are concerned.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Dude you watch to much TV

Borregokid said:
One of the things about the thieves is that

everyone thinks they know what they will look like and what they will be doing (breaking in cars)when typically they see something else-what they want you to see. Its not unusual for the thieves to come in a group of three. Maybe one of the three is a woman. If its a hiking area they come in with packs and start messing with their shoes while someone is breaking into cars. If you were to see them you wouldnt realize they were breaking into cars because you would just see the people messing around with their boots. If you looked closer you might see they look like druggers but then you would think-that nice-druggers out for a hike or a bike.

Every now and then thieves actually do get beat to parade rest. Its usually not when a law abiding citizen catches them but when a family member or friend has been ripped off one too many times.:)

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Well I did not do well this hunting season and I have plenty of camo make-up ,got my .300 Win.short mag sited in really good lets say at about 100-400 yards I could pick one or 2 off no problem

carbuncle said:
Oh, the police will care if you call in a 911 on a car prowl in progress, just don't expect them to get all excited over a report of a suspicious individual. I was coming back into the lot from a ride about a month ago, super early on a Saturday, and I found a sorta bummy transient looking guy sitting on the rock by the entrance with a 7-11 coffee just checking out the cars. My Jeep was right by him, so when I rolled up and started loading in it must have crimped his style because he took off walking up toward the federal pokey. Suspicious? Hell yes, criminal, not yet. I know a couple of private investigators who regularly do surveillance on similar situations for commercial clients and I can tell you that it's A: long, insufferably boring work sitting still somewhere staying focused enough to know what's happening but low-key enough to not draw attention, and B: very difficult to determine from a safe distance what is suspicious versus what is clearly criminal. By the way, there is very little in the way of clear sight lines into the parking area that are both useful enough for this purpose and not the place these asses are using to stake out marks in the first place. My bet is that someone sits in the bushes up above the east side of the parking lot and waits for the magic moments when no one is around, then hits it and screws to the pawn shop for Steel Reserve and crack money. I know I'm not bad-assed enough to want to meet them in the bushes for a heated debate on the finer points of morality...

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
What about trying to address the issue with the city. Maybe have them cut back some of the trees leading to the parking lot so that cars coming down the hill have more then a 2 second view of the parkinglot..

Id pay for video survelliance there :)

My car and nothing in it would be worth loosing your life trying to break ihto it. You will get 6 CDs, a bunch of trash and a bit of other stuff.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
I got an idea:

Some weekend, I'll sit across the road, in full camo suit, maybe next to the little Tyee golf course shack there, with my 7mm magnum, and we'll just knock off the crooks one by one. Maybe this will solve the problem.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Netguy said:
that reads..

"This area is under video survailance"

Cheap, easy and may be effective.
I doubt the signs would work. My apartment complex has those signs AND actual video cameras in the parking lots, but that doesn't stop thieves from breaking into cars all the time.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i highly doubt anyone is gonna do anything. But if one were so inclined to do this seriously, some cammo, a camera, a cel phone, and a tree stand would probably be the best bet. But if the Port of Seattle shows up wondering why you're setting up a tree stand underneath the flight path, just respond "Dirka dirka jihad muhammed." in a loud obnoxious voice.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Skookum said:
i highly doubt anyone is gonna do anything. But if one were so inclined to do this seriously, some cammo, a camera, a cel phone, and a tree stand would probably be the best bet. But if the Port of Seattle shows up wondering why you're setting up a tree stand underneath the flight path, just respond "Dirka dirka jihad muhammed." in a loud obnoxious voice.
:mad:YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!!:mad: