Quantcast

Breaking in the Sovereign... a ride report from an unlikely source.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Alarm went off at 6:45 and I got up, excited to hit the trail for the first time in a long time.

Quick breakfast to ward off Señor Bonk:

Gear thrown together:

...and off to the trail head.

As I started to get closer, I actually got a little nervous. It had been so long since I had ridden... what if I sucked? What if I was in crappy shape? What if it wasn't as much fun for me anymore?

Nice trail head. Weather was humid but the temperature was good. I pulled all my gear out and hit the trail, leaving the camera behind in the car since I hadn't been here before.

These trails are pretty nice! A small drop-in leads you into the woods. I expected some pretty flat trails but they're well constructed - lots of short, steep climbs and constant switchbacks, making the most use of the small land space alotted to these trails. Some nice little touches, too - a ladder here and there, some drops constructed with a secondary line to ride around, even a teeter totter once you got well along the trail.

I also noticed a small sign labeled "taint tugger" or something like that. I followed the small path and it dead ended at a pretty gnarly step down that I would have considered on a DH bike with some friends around but wasn't about to touch on my hardtail during a solo ride.

There's one big loop of about 5 or 6 miles that has a half dozen or so smaller loops off the sides as you progress. I have no idea how many loops I looped or side trails I rode, I just rode. A few sections of the trail really spoke to me and I rode back up them to do them several times over. Very nicely constructed routes. Ran into a group of riders towards the end who were hauling.

A couple hours later, my water was exhausted, I was liberally coated in sixty-five thousand spider webs, sweat and dirt, and was ready to head home.

As it turns out, I do suck a lot more than when I was riding a lot. And I am out of shape. But the fun was plentiful :thumb:

The Sovereign after a post-ride rinse to insure I get my apartment security deposit back:

My next goal is to head out there once a week for an early morning, before-work ride. I'll bring my camera next time.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
nice man.....creative trail building is the only way to gain elevation out in your neck of the woods

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlyShirley said:
Did you find that Camelback in a Delorian? :rofl:
That Camelbak has been with me since I was a freshman in high school - 10 years ago. It's had the crap beaten out of it on biking, camping, hiking and climbing trips.

I keep waiting for it to die, but it won't...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well thats good. Ive had mine a couple years now and its holding up well. At work we sell Northface hydro packs and Ive heard very bad things about them in a durability sense.

Watch out next week for the cove's virgin ride report.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just can't believe how well the damn thing has held up. I really haven't been at all gentle with it. It's tumbled down embankments, been dropped, thrown, dragged through the mud... I've gone through a couple bladders but the pack itself is like the Energizer bunny.

I'll look forward to the Cove ride report :thumb:

I'm damn excited to be back out on the trail again :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Great ride report, B.V. :thumb: I know the out of shape feeling very well, I am fighting it off also. How did the bike ride? Did she feel good?

Burley Shirley, I am looking forward to the Cove report!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Quo Fan said:
Always best to keep the first return rides "sane" to gauge fitness and to keep the heckling down to a minimum.
Yeah, I was starting to get tired and the heat was also rising quickly. I think early morning is going to be the only time I get any riding in for the next month or two.

I feel pretty good now, though, which means I didn't kill myself.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
arboc! said:
how are those pedals? we has some at the shop i work at, and im not sure if i want them.
This is my second set. Pedals just aren't something I invest in heavily, since I bash them on rocks and trees. IMO, they're great for $30. I rebuilt the bearings in them last year and they still run fine.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
You don't ride clipless??

:confused:
Nope.

I may, sometime, try clipless, especially now that I'm not situated in a town where bike rides can be had on 10 seconds notice. I used to live in a fairly small town where I'd use my bike to go to the convenience store, skip over to a friend's house, ride a mile up to the lake with a fishing pole, etc.

Clipless never worked for me in those situations since flats were more versitile - even the best platform-and-clipless solutions aren't as grippy as good flats if you're in street shoes.

Now that the city is too big for me to just hop on my bike and cruise out my front door, I might try clipless. Then again, I do like my flats... :think:

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
What pedals are those?

BV, clipless would be something to try eventually. They are a total pain in the ass but they make you go really fast.

stick with flatties though

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have don't a few rides back east on small trails.

i rememeber doing a slow lap on one loop with a long stick clearing

out the spider webs. then i would ride it 5x.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i was cruising the city with my eggbeaters yesterday, wouldnt have it any other way...
have you ever used flats?

imo, there's no substitute for clipless for long trail rides or climbing, but for just farting around the city, and for DH, i'm all about the flats.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i was cruising the city with my eggbeaters yesterday, wouldnt have it any other way...
Never. I used to ride my bike everywhere, and I'd never put myself in a situation where I needed certain shoes just to get on my bike.

Having to walk on cleats everywhere I go? No thanks.

Like I said, now that I'm not in such an easily ridable urban location it might be a possibility, but I just can't imagine hopping on my bike to tear over to my friend's apartment so we can go swimming or to the movies or whatever and having to wear cleated shoes the whole time or carry street shoes.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
imo, there's no substitute for clipless for long trail rides or climbing, but for just farting around the city, and for DH, i'm all about the flats.
depends who you ask...

I find myself climbing better with flats than clips...

Grippy pedals + 5.10 shoes = no need for clips IMO

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Acadian said:
depends who you ask...

I find myself climbing better with flats than clips...

Grippy pedals + 5.10 shoes = no need for clips IMO
you are probably one of those freaks who uses flats on a road bike. :help:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
you are probably one of those freaks who uses flats on a road bike. :help:
uhhh...well....

yes I have - but I've recently went back to clips on my Road (well CX) bike. But I'd be lying if I told you they don't bug me even on my road bike..

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I ride flats for all trailriding.......I'm with BV, here. I like to hop on my bike and go, and don't want to hassle with special shoes just to cruise the neighborhood, to the store, or whatever. My shoe of choice---Timberland low-cut workboot and Zu-Zu pedals. I'm telling you---no better combo. And totally trucker-style for added style points. 5.10? Psssht.....these thing need a court order to come off the pedal.

Binaural

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
I ride flats on my commuter bike (30km a day), DH bike and my street bike. I love to be able to hop on my bike to ride to the shops for bread and milk or go for an impromptu ride without having to change shoes or do anything special.