Quantcast

Breaking News Courtesy of Dirt Mag

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Well it seems Britains best riders will now be riding Japans finest catalogue frames.

EDIT: probably not actually a japanese knock off, but it definitely takes design elements from Fusion and is a massive departure from previous designs

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The susp idea is similar but the frame is kinda different besides that. Though we should stop calling every frame that looks like other frame a know off. I also had a similar idea for shock placement and Ive never noticed fusion had it ;)

The rear though looks awfull.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
I realllllllly like it.As long as it retains the exact same suspension feel of the current Supreme's.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's a prototype made by stereo lithography. Not rideable.

And to me it's a nice evolution of the current frame, lighter by design, same pivot placement. Don't know what the leverage ratio will be like, but probably also a refinement.
Ahhh so that is how its made. How do you know it will lighter?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Kind of reminds me of the Revolt but w/a slightly more forward pivot. I know this is only a prototype but hopefully they will bring back some of the adjustability that the old frame had. I always thought that was a nice selling point. I do like the looks of the old one better however. This one looks clean but the other one had more "character" in my opinion...what ever the hell that means :D

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
I expect the metal protos to be far more refined, by production im sure itll be a lovely piece! But at the moment, its pretty much a big bit of plastic.

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Some differences/advantages over Fusion:
1. Seatstay 4-bar = single pivot with linkage-driven shock.
2. Higher pivot (real) opposite to the lower virtual one on the Fusion ->
3. Rearward wheel path opposite to the vertical-to-frontward of the Fusion.
4. Progressive throughout the whole travel opposite to the regressive end of the Fusion.
5. Longer shock -> lower leverage ratio (if the travel is 8″ and the shock is 9.5″, it looks like it is)

I don’t know about the pedal feedback though, seems like there will be some…

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
to me the front triangle resembles with TR450, the chainstay to a Revolt and the link to a Fusion...:)
...but now come on guys...in how many ways can one design a bicycle without it looking like something that has been done before. I could bet that there isn't much originality left for the 2 wheeled gravity bikes. Any new design, as original as it could be has to be able to be put into production and to be functional and this is where all one's originality fades off..
especially in these difficult economy when you have to rely on scale economy to be competitive. Anyway, Max has been around long before most of us, so i'm sure this is going to be a great one ;)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Cool lookin' frame. The suspension design reminds me of Trek's ABP w/different shock placement and no split pivot.
So, not at all then.

Looks like Taiwanese catalog stock to me, and its dissapointing to see such a change from the original design.

Makes you think that if they are making such a radical departure from the original design, was it any good at all?

Guess the same can be said of most manufacturers though.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
So, not at all then.
I said the floating shock single pivot prototype frame "reminds me of" a existing floating shock single pivot frame.. I'm not by any means saying that Commencal is copying Trek, just saying that it reminds me of the Trek's floating shock design.

ABP and split pivot are the same
Wasn't sure what Trek calls their floating single pivot design, couldn't find it on their website, so I just guessed. I had a feeling ABP stood for Active Braking Pivot, am I right?

Last edited:

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
yup, your right.

It looks like a tr450 with trek front triangle. For the rear, it looks like some random dude out of china got some pipes and welded them togeather. I only hope the rear swingarm get some CNC love before this ever hits production.

Since the shock is floating around, it should mean that the front triangle should be a tad lighter since it doesnt take up most of the impacts, and it stays in the rear swing arm, ALA trek. Who knows....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Wasn't sure what Trek calls their floating single pivot design, couldn't find it on their website, so I just guessed. I had a feeling ABP stood for Active Braking Pivot, am I right?
well their Active Braking Pivot is not what they call their floating shock. i think they just call it "full floater" with their "evo link"
the ABP and Split Pivot are the pivots around the rear axle

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Makes you think that if they are making such a radical departure from the original design, was it any good at all?
What exactly is the radical departure?

It's still a single pivot with a linkage driven shock. And the pivot is even in the same location.

That leaves the leverage ratio, but just because the linkage looks different doesn't mean the leverage ratio is necessarily that different.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Since the shock is floating around, it should mean that the front triangle should be a tad lighter since it doesnt take up most of the impacts, and it stays in the rear swing arm, ALA trek. Who knows....
The rear suspension can't magically absorb forces - they still have to be transferred to the front triangle. I think this is a common misconception with floating shocks.

But you're right in the sense that the forces (and moments) are more efficiently directed with this design than the old design, so the frame should be lighter, which is no doubt one of their goals with the redesign.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
The rear suspension can't magically absorb forces - they still have to be transferred to the front triangle. I think this is a common misconception with floating shocks.

But you're right in the sense that the forces (and moments) are more efficiently directed with this design than the old design, so the frame should be lighter, which is no doubt one of their goals with the redesign.
Yeah, the pivot points have to be buffed up because all the energy should go through them into the front triangle. I've seen a couple of Evils around here cracking right around the main pivot...

Hopefully they can trip the weight down, at least some 300 grms