Quantcast

Breathing issues

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Yesterday I went with my husband on a fairly easy road ride. It was a steep climb but we took a slow pace and ended with a nice descent. When I got home, I couldn't breathe deeply without coughing and pain in my chest. This has happened before on hard mountain bike rides where I've attributed the symptoms to riding too hard or dust inhalation but yesterday's ride wasn't hard or dusty. I never notice when I ride, just when I get off the bike. Does this happen to anyone else? Do you do anything to prevent or ease it?

Or is it just a sign I need to get out and ride more? :D Thanks!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Weird, I get that at every race but not when I'm out riding on my own. Was it maybe smoggy yesterday?:confused:

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I got like that/get like that a lot....my doc always attributed it to asthma, excersized induced...especially because I had the wheezing and coughed up green stuff and more and more...

Anyways...after a lot of testing they figured out it wasn't asthma but it was actually related to acid reflux...12 years of undiagnosed acid reflux that tore up my asophagus to the point that hard breathing/exercise turned into these nasty fits....

Dunno if that's you...but do you get heartburn periodically?

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Hmmm. Good points. It wasn't obviously smoggy but there were cars straining up the mountain giving off some nasty fumes. One in particular gassed me in a tunnel. phew. :dead: Thinking back, I do get this feeling most often in summer on hot smoggy days so that may be the key.

As for acid reflux, that's a good point. I rarely get heartburn so I doubt that's it but if I ever go to a doctor, I'll ask about it.

On a good note, I did a much harder (but shorter) ride on my singlespeed last night and had no problems when I got home. :D

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
One other thing I forgot...when they did all their fancy tests to figure out what caused my continuous issues, they did a series of allergy tests...it could be a plant or something that's affecting you too maybe...?