Quantcast

Brewing a good coffee

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What would be the better way to brew a good coffee at home.

We've been using a Bodum for the past few years, but since its broken might as well seek alternative. Also, the Bodum as a tendency to let small particals pass through its filter.

So what are you using at home?

Stove percolator?
Electric percolator?
Regular paper filter coffee machine?

I gather that an Expresso machine would be the best, but our budget is limited.

Suggestions?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jozz, posting this in the beer and food forum may give you better results.

Personally having an average warm cup of coffee that isn't old makes me a happy man, I need nothing more!!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The most important thing is fresh beans. The best espresso maker in the world is going to make **** espresso if the beans are bad or were roasted too long ago (what's too long? It depends...most people would love the way 3 week old coffee tastes...for me it's about 10 days.)

If you've got your bean suppy sorted out, and you're on a budget, French Press is the way to go. Just don't drink the sludge in the bottom of the cup.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
French press... but you already have the cream of the crop. Go buy another one.

I have a bodum and the top of the line paper filter machine... if I put coffee in it and water and set it, it will brew my coffee at 6:50, then when I wake up at 7:00 I can drink coffee as I get ready. It rules... but not as good as the bodum on flavor.

:cheers:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't recommend anything good but will say that percolators are supposed to make the worse cup's around. Reaheating the brew makes it turn nasty.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Thanks for all the info.

When I got home, the little lady had already purchased a replacement French press.

As far as beans, we buy freshly ground (fair trade) beans in small quantity (2 weeks). But I heard it is even better to have your own grinder to have the best coffee experience... any truth to that?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Thanks for all the info.

When I got home, the little lady had already purchased a replacement French press.

As far as beans, we buy freshly ground (fair trade) beans in small quantity (2 weeks). But I heard it is even better to have your own grinder to have the best coffee experience... any truth to that?

Yes, get a burr grinder that is adjustable. For coffee in a french press, you want it coarse, and that will keep the grounds from getting through.
Its the only scanario I know of where coarse grinding is a good thing.:brows:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I hate the sound of a coffee grinder before I've had my coffee. :brow:

I get it ground at the time of purchase. I go through about a pound a week. In that short time the flavor loss is not so bad, and not enough for me to deal with the extra steps, cleaning, and noise first thing in the AM.

But yeah course grinding is key with a press.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006

According to a guest lecturer in my sister's bio class a Berkeley, the grinder makes all the difference. This guy was apparently quite passionate about coffee. His take was that people who spend big money on a fancy machine are throwing their money away if they don't also have a nice grinder. You get better coffee from an expensive grinder and mediocre coffee machine than you do from a fancy machine and a poor grinder. And a good grinder is one that gives you a very consistent particle size.

I still don't own a grinder and I'm happy drinking espresso made from roasts that don't taste burnt.