Quantcast

Brian Head - Dark Hollow

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Hey everybody,

Every year my brother and I stop by on our way to or from Colorado to ride this insanely awesome DH trail. Last year due to high winds loads of trees had fallen in the trail all the way down leaving little room for fun. I know it is under snow right now, but late last summer had anyone fixed up those fallen trees? I would have just done it, but with no chain saw it was hopeless. We were there early August. If anyone knows if the trail was fully open or not late last summer it would be awesome to know. Thanks!

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I rode it on the way down to Rampage and only remember one tree down? The resort trail crew and some locals maintain it pretty well so those trees must have just fallen.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
It was definitely clear at the end of summer I did a bunch of the work myself. We held a Super D race on it and it was F'n Epic! :thumb: We raced from the top of the climb out of the parking lot to where the singletrack ends at the gravel road. Really fast times were low 20min. A third of the feild raced DH bikes the majority of us were on 6" bikes with DHish tires. I've been racing DH for over a decade and it was the funnest race I've ever done. We'll be doing it again this year mid-August I believe. Don't miss it.

nolson450

Chimp
May 26, 2009
I went opening weekend last summer and was disappointed, to say the least. For opening weekend, the locals didn't do S#$@ for trail work.

This was always my local mountain and the trails are epic, Blowhard and Dark Hollow are incredible, but I left wondering how much better the place would be if the Brianhead crew knew how to build good features (the newer built features are sketchy, and far as building them correctly), and actually put time in. For the trees to still be down in mid August is embarrassing.....

Sorry for the hate, I love Brianhead, always will, just miffed the crew can't even clear trails for the first month of a very short riding season...

The Super D race sounds killer. Top times on a 6 inch, or a full DHer? Did they include the lower fireroad, and finish with the water crossing?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I ran a 21 something on a Reign X with Maxxis Minion 2.5 EXO tires. The finish was where the singletrack comes out onto the dirt road. Not down the dirt road-people would die!

People were putting up good times on DH bikes but they were out of the top 5. Then again if i had me one of them new 35lb DH bikes...

The best setup was 6-7" travel and mid ply tires- Minion 2.5 EXO, Telonix 2.4 Iron Cap, Muddy Mary/Big Betty Freeride 2.5.

The guy that won was on a 5 Spot with his seat up and no dropper post! 2.3 single ply Kendas and DH tubes. I have no idea how the hell he did it.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
awesome! we will be stopping by then on our way to keystone or on our way back from snowmass. thanks!