Quantcast

Brian Head to host National series finals...

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
this is a better drive for sure...but i was sorta looking forward to racing somewhere new.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
since I am sooo out of the loop on the norba series (or whatever they are calling it), does this mean there is a Deer Valley AND a Brianhead race?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
In the Utah series last summer i put together a new Super D course that was a mix of mostly the sport DH course (timberline) and some flat/rolling pedaling at the start on a rocky singletrack. The times were around 10 minutes and people rode anything from trailbikes to DH bikes. Pretty much everyone found it to be the most fun SD they had raced. I'm not sure if they will use this course, but i sure hope so! Many many sweet corners and even some jumps!! It was an absolute blast on my 6" travel RFX. Being that it is on sunday afternoon it doesn't conflict with other races.

Krispy

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
So stoked on this change!

The new DH course (assuming they use the new one from last year Utah race series) is super fun.
Probably one of the funnest race we did all year. Everyone had a great time. You'd think that the winter will have helped get it to settle down as well... Time will tell. :cheers:

Either way That should be fun.
On the other hand, anyone knows if DV will finally change their race course? It's been like 5 years now they use the same trail and it's beyond help. Time to move over! :rant:

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
There is a National Series!?!! Complete with the traveling circus that is the 8 pros that follow it.
You know I thought for sure the National series was taking a dump and finally was about to be buried. But then Fontana totally disproved this. There were more pros entered than I've ever seen at that ghetto. And that was despite Donny putting on his state race the same day, on the same course, with the same practice schedule, and cost only $35 to enter.

The only thing I can figure is that people just want to be associated with a "National" race. Everyone talks about them and no matter how bad they get people are still going to enter.

beesonutah

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
This is stupid. Here in Utah we have a great race series ran by Ron Lindley and he has our race series final on the same day at Sundance just two hours to the north of Brian Head. Now we have a series final from the people who could care less about you on the same day and they just pop it on top of his series final without giving a rats **$. Guys do yourselves a favor and kick the NMBS guys to the curb, drive two more hours and come race our series final on a great course with a pro pay out. And you Utah guys should be ashamed of yourselves. If you go to that race and not support YOUR race series and the people who work hard to make a great series for you,if you do then you can't complain when the racing goes away. Yes Brianhead is fun and the riding rules, but it is not worth stabing the local Utah series in the back. Don't Go To BrianHead.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
This is stupid. Here in Utah we have a great race series ran by Ron Lindley and he has our race series final on the same day at Sundance just two hours to the north of Brian Head.
****. I did not realize this was the same weekend :(
That sucks. We'll have raced BH 2 weeks before as well.. Wonder if they'll use the same course.
In the end my loyalty belongs to whichever resort tries to be the most welcoming to mountain bikers... Brian Head wins hands down. It's that simple. (although I'll probably end up at Sundance anyway for schedule reasons)

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Damn, I knew it was too good to be true. But it doesn't surprise me.

What really makes this worse is that there is a USAC National Gravity Calendar event in the next state over at Sol Vista.

I applaud the promoters for finally using the holiday weekends to hold races, but to have all of them start doing it at one time is too much too late. They are only making it worse for themselves and the racing scene. But what else is new. The good thing about competition . . .only the strong will survive.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
This is stupid. Here in Utah we have a great race series ran by Ron Lindley and he has our race series final on the same day at Sundance just two hours to the north of Brian Head. Now we have a series final from the people who could care less about you on the same day and they just pop it on top of his series final without giving a rats **$. Guys do yourselves a favor and kick the NMBS guys to the curb, drive two more hours and come race our series final on a great course with a pro pay out. And you Utah guys should be ashamed of yourselves. If you go to that race and not support YOUR race series and the people who work hard to make a great series for you,if you do then you can't complain when the racing goes away. Yes Brianhead is fun and the riding rules, but it is not worth stabing the local Utah series in the back. Don't Go To BrianHead.
It does stink that it is the same weekend as the Sundance race, but the original finals at Tamarack was also on Labor Day weekend. There is also a MSC race at Sol Vista that same weekend. Ron Lindley has been a long time friend of the Norba race series promoter, so I 'm sure the date was not chosen with any malicious intent. I can't say if the Sundance race will be changed because it is nice to have at least one race a year on a Monday for the more devote LDS Utah racers.

In the end I’m stoked to see the finals in Utah and I think it continues to showcase that our small (compared to CA, CO, WA, NE) DH community has a lot going for it. As for the UT DHers if you want to test your self against a larger group of competition you should go the Brian Head, if you want to have a fun time with your local friends you should stay in town and race Sundance. For me I doubt I’ll be able to do either; my wife & I are expecting a baby the end of August.

Note: For those of you unfamiliar with the UT DH race series, Go-ride.com has been a long time sponsor and hardworking supporter.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Awesome that we are getting something right in our backyard again! I hope that Ron is able to work something out date conflict wise, I'd hate to see the local series suffer.

Lep is right that Super D was dope.

I've been working in Parowan the last two weeks staring at the frosty white peak, melt you dam snow, MELT!! Just got more this last week. :(

Do any of you other locals have any idea the status of the new lifts and if they intend to expand the trail systems or bike accessibility to that side of the mountain?