Quantcast

Brian Lopes' Sea Otter Experience

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Racing legend Brian Lopes summarizes his DH race and more from the Sea Otter Classic this past weekend right here! Lopes came up big in the DH final, finishing in third spot behind Mick Hannah and Aaron Gwin.
---

Sea Otter 2010
Words By Brian Lopes

It was probably the best weather ever at the Sea Otter this year, which was definitely more enjoyable than usual. The sun was out, it never rained, never got cold, and there was no wind. Maybe the first ever for a Sea Otter.

The week started off with driving the new Sportsmobile up to the venue on Wednesday. We arrived about 5pm, got signed up and then Joe (my mechanic) and I jumped on our road bikes and did 7 laps around the Laguna Seca car race track to spin the legs out.

Thursday morning was 8:30 DH practice. I got in about 5 or 6 runs, then spent the rest of the day visiting with those I haven't seen since last year and Joe spent the day building up my new Large Mojo HD. Yep, I have been on Mediums since two years ago and lately I have been riding a large SL and really like it, so all my XC & DH style bikes are going to a large size and all my jump/DS bikes are going to mediums. By the end of the day Joe had the sweet new HD all built up and I did the final adjustments to get her ready for the Friday morning 8:30 AM practice again.

Lopes training some slalom, photo by Carmen Freeman

Friday's practice went well. The new bike was great and the change to my new 2.35 BBG Kenda tire on the front and rear, along with some suspension adjustment on my Marzocchi's really made a difference on the course. Another 5 or 6 runs and I felt ready to go.

Saturday again was an early start but this time on the Dual Slalom bike. I can't believe I was riding a small frame these past two years. The medium feels so much more comfortable and my qualifying times proved that I was feeling good as I came away with the #1 plate for the race a bit later in the afternoon. Unfortunately that #1 plate didn't make it too far as I crashed in my first heat and was out early. DS is an event where being consistent is sometimes the winning formula. You can be fast all day and make one mistake and it's over, which was the case for me. Oh well, that's racing.

Photo by Carmen Freeman.

Sunday was the final day at the Otter and, of course, the DH. I got a few practice runs in first thing and then rested up for my final run at 11:45 AM. My goal was to better my 5th place from last year, but I knew it would be tough as there was a lot of competition and you could tell everyone was going fast and ready to throw down. I may be feeling the fittest I have ever felt for endurance and top speed power, not standing start power, but 38/11t pedal power, so I was ready to see where all this training would put me. My run was clean, a few spots where I played too conservative and should have let the brakes go, but overall a solid run and I ended up 3rd. Graves was first with a killer time, 2.3 seconds faster than me and Aaron Gwin was 2nd less than a 1/2 second in front of me, so I was really happy with my result. I guess getting old doesn't have to result in slowing down much if you work hard and put your mind to it, so I'll keep it going and hopefully the year keeps going like it is now.

Thanks to Joe for dialing in my bike, all my sponsors who have been by my side and continue to back me and believe in me, and to everyone else who show their support and cheers me on.

Attachments