Quantcast

"Bridging The Fixie/BMX Gap?"

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
/\ /\ /\ /\

Carbon rode bike:

There's probably hundreds of people capable of doing all of that on that bike right now, he's just the first to get the motivation to put the vid together. I guess its cool non the less, but the bike set up doesn't look as eye appealing as some other bike set ups. I would guess he rides another set up regularly but just hopped on that for fun. Either way, beer me!

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
NO ONE should hate on fixed gears. its because of these bikes that we can thank for progression into other diciplines such as bmx and mtb "freestyle" and flat land. fixed trick riding is the origional freestyling and most flat land bmx tricks and just "tricks" in general can be attributed to fixed circus riding from like 90 years ago.

the argument to say "we have developed more technology so why not use it"
So I guess to stay true to our roots if you want to be a real hardcroe fixie stunter you should be riding on bikes made with 100 year old tubing, fabrication techniques, and geometry. Hell, if your really core you would be on a shaft drive. I'm sure that stuff would hold up great to doing handrails.

No doubt it must have been pretty impressive to see back in the day. Major Taylor was a badass through and through, but he was first and foremost a racer that was able to make a better living by doing stunt shows on the side.

Doing stunts on a fixie because its historically 'core' is about as cool as being someone that does cival war re-enactments.

This sh*t is beyond rediculous now. Watching that video of the asian dude on the 26" fix was beyond painful. I didnt even see any tricks that took advantage of the fact that it was a fixed hub.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Doing stunts on a fixie because its historically 'core' is about as cool as being someone that does cival war re-enactments.
your hating on fixed riding because of the people or the scene to which it applies today, i dont like it either, but im not going to hate on the bikes themselves. how can anyone hate bikes?

its good to appreciate all disciplines, at times bmx was hated, mtb was hated, 24's were hated, 26" street was hated, 29ers and fixies. heck i love all bikes and ride almost everything so i have no hate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So I guess to stay true to our roots if you want to be a real hardcore fixie stunter you should be riding on bikes made with 100 year old tubing, fabrication techniques, and geometry. Hell, if your really core you would be on a shaft drive. I'm sure that stuff would hold up great to doing handrails.
i'd rock a fixie made of wrought iron.

if you wanna get historical with yer freestyle ride a penny farthing

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Weird, the designer of that bmx/roadie thing complains about short top tubes, then makes his 21.25....
13.75 is crazy short for CS, probably manuals like a dream.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Weird, the designer of that bmx/roadie thing complains about short top tubes, then makes his 21.25....
maybe the guy borrowed a 24" Expert race bike from his little brother? they run 24 X 1 3/8" rims. . . . .

but they're obviously not meant for a full grown man jumping anything.

CRUPI RHYTHM Wheel Set | Expert 24 x 1-3/8"

Super light wheelset with double walled Rhythm CNC machined Expert 24" rims, Rhythm Expert cassette with Titanium driver, DT Swiss spokes and nipples, 16T Crupi aluminum cog and red Rhythm rim tape. Available in 28 Hole only.

Recommended rider weight 90 lbs - 140 lbs.

Available Colors: Black | Silver | White

Price: $399.95

Last edited:

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i rode my big wheeled fixed subrosa fun bicycle to work this morning and hopped multiple curbs. no one seemed to be upset and i even had fun! but please dont tell my 20", 24" and dh bike about this. :weee:

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Indeed. I feel like I could get away with alot more with an inch shorter chainstay on my liquid.. However it is still the best riding 24" frame I've felt. May have to build myself a custom frame at some point soon.:rolleyes:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2010/11/volume_bikes_the_ambiguous_26.php
"Ambiguity is Volume's friend in this case. The Vandal is their new 26" frameset. While they're not tagging it a fixed freestyle frame and they're not saying it's a dirt jumper, they are implying that it can be used for either. Which is why I think the 26" fixed movement is in a slightly ambiguous position at the moment. Why not just run it freewheel and fixed? I'd be down to see an edit with this bike hitting some dirt and doing some fakie lines. Until people start really pushing the 26" fixed thing to new levels, I will continue to say that 700c is more my preference."

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
With more companies purposely building frames and parts designed for fixed freestyle it's funny to see how the designs increasingly resemble bmx/mtb parts bikes. Further proving the point of the "tool for the job" argument.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
this bike is a helluva lot more like a Sledghammer 26" bmx or an all-rigid mtbmx/dirt jumper . . . (doesn't resemble a road bike/track bike at all)

. . . . yet a while back Volume said they weren't interested at all in MTB.

the post-bmx culture politics are kinda strange these days.

http://vimeo.com/22283843

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
this bike is a helluva lot more like a Sledghammer 26" bmx or an all-rigid mtbmx/dirt jumper . . . (doesn't resemble a road bike/track bike at all)

I think that dude just needed a paycheck, cause he's a badass bmx rider. But nowadays riding is out of control.

http://vimeo.com/11933743

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007

I think that dude just needed a paycheck, cause he's a badass bmx rider. But nowadays riding is out of control.

http://vimeo.com/11933743
but you can only get so far riding scooter bmx (chainless)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
kind of interesting to hear Carter's take on exploring an unfamiliar niche of bikes:

http://blackmarketbikes.blogspot.com/2011/05/black-market-product-update-spring-2011.html

This next project (the Street Fiend) was originally going to be the first of the my designs for a fixie, but I was nervous about releasing a brand new frame into a new market that we knew nothing and start by pushing a new lower sloping top tube fixed gear design and using 26" wheels to boot.

I decided to go with the NSF first and continued working on this next design on my own. I am the first one to admit I don't fully understand how to ride these bikes but with the Street Fiend, I'm at least starting to understand it a bit better because the frame is small enough for me to get off of when **** gets ugly and when my feet can't stop rotating and are strapped to the pedals **** gets ugly almost immediately.

There are a few very minor changes that will be made to production but other than those this is what you're going to see. Here is the Street Fiend.
Blackmarket Street Fiend

The long awaited debut of our NSF is finally going to hit the streets with another interesting project hot on it's heels. The NSF is geared at being an fixed/single speed commuter/ bar bike with an attitude and stout enough to trick ride on without fear of folding under you.

NoBrakes23

Chimp
Sep 22, 2011
SoCal
I think that gap was bridged by the flatland riders doing the stunts in Quicksilver:

302 Found

I think that was Woody Itson, Martin Aparijo, and Pat Romano, but I might be mistaken. (R.L. Osbourne, Eddie Fiola?) I know it was some old school guys at any rate.

I came really close to buying that pink Mongoose Decade in '87. I got a GT Pro FS Tour instead, though. I did end up with a DB Strike Zone a few years later than had a early freecoaster that engaged with the pins like that Decade's DirectDrive hub.

As for the fixie hate, I think that's mostly directed at clueless hipster douchebags, not fixed gears. I feel the same way about dirtbags who are too damn lazy to tune their brakes and start spouting some nonsense about how they ride brakeless as a form of progression. (No hate towards the riders that do legitimately awesome stuff without brakes, though.)

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
you gotta hope so. i lost interest when wheelsize went to 26, seats got slammed, and people started riding pegs. at that point theres no reason for the fixed drivetrain

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
you gotta hope so. i lost interest when wheelsize went to 26, seats got slammed, and people started riding pegs. at that point theres no reason for the fixed drivetrain
seriously, at this stage what are these guy trying to prove? Swallow your pride and use the bike more suited for the job. It's basically making riding more difficult just to make it more difficult, but completely making it look like ****.

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
seriously, at this stage what are these guy trying to prove? Swallow your pride and use the bike more suited for the job. It's basically making riding more difficult just to make it more difficult, but completely making it look like ****.
Couldn't agree with you more. I don't understand how anyone could watch that, and think it looked good.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
its one thing to take your fixed gear commuter and blast a handrail pegless, like my friend did a few years ago. but when you make that bike heavier, fit worse, and geared too low for your commuting, ditch the fixed gear.

there isnt a single FGFS trick that is current that inherently requires the fixed drivetrain. keo spins needed it, but those are out now