Quantcast

Brits think the Frogs really suck

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Britons think French deserve their 'negative stereotype': poll
Oct 31

Eighty-six percent of people in Britain aged 18 to 30 think the French deserve "a popular negative stereotype," suggests an opinion poll conducted for an Anglo-French art show in London.

That compares to 27 percent of like-aged people in France who felt the British held a negative stereotype of their nation, according to the survey.

The informal poll of 500 people in London, and as many in Paris, was commissioned by the organisers of an Entente Cordiale art show that opened in west London over the weekend. No margin of error was disclosed.

"British people should face up to the fact that they have an enormous problem when it comes to the French," said exhibition organiser Richard Kaye, a Brition resident in France.

"The British will make jokes about the French which would, if made to the detriment of other national or ethnic groups, be considered extremely racist and dangerous."

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I'd love to know how many of those polled had actually spent any time in France interacting with actual French people. Most British people go to France and then hang out in UK enclaves doing their best to pretend it's the UK only with better weather and food. Lame.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The few Frenchies I've met in person have all been cool. My dad worked with a bunch of them and every Xmas they would send us a case of wine. Of course our white bread ethics didn't allow alcohol in the house so the wine was regifted to others.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I've been to France many times - great country, cool people (excepting some of the Parisiens, but then plenty of Londoners are tossers too).

Most Francophobe Brits are, as Changleen surmises, simply ignorant (in my experience). It's called prejudice for a reason.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
fluff said:
I've been to France many times - great country, cool people (excepting some of the Parisiens, but then plenty of Londoners are tossers too).

Most Francophobe Brits are, as Changleen surmises, simply ignorant (in my experience). It's called prejudice for a reason.

Wasn't the whole Anglo-French thing resolved at the Battle of Waterloo anyway???

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
N8 said:
Wasn't the whole Anglo-French thing resolved at the Battle of Waterloo anyway???
It is rather amusing that the Channel-Tunnel trains terminate at Waterloo station in London.

We shoudl have built a new terminal and called it Agincourt.