Quantcast

Broke my digital camara while riding

Phazer

Chimp
Jun 2, 2004
South Africa
Doing some trials with a buddy, I wiped out on a technical session, breaking my camara that was under my saddle in a pouch.
So my question is, what's the safest way to carry a camara while riding?
Daamm and I just bought a new XC bike, so no money for a new camara.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I carry mine in an otter box in my pack. Had a couple of hard spills over the last week or so and the cam came though it no problems. Not necessarily the most convenient, but definitely safe.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
hmmm yeah what is a good way to carry a digicam while riding? I'm getting a camera in a week and I want to take it with me, but I'm worried if I just stick it in my camelbak I'll destroy it if I wreck...Whats an otter box?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I put mine in my camelback, with water in it, it should be cushioned and safe. Otherwise i just ride with it around my neck and just don't crash. i bought an otterbox but it was a waste of money for me since my camera doesn't fit in it.....

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I attach miy case to the strap on my camelback, and run the camera's lanyard/leash through the sternum strap so I can't drop it when I'm getting it out. Easily accessible and if I land on it in a crash it will be the last thing I worry about. :D

But I also figure its like any other peice of bike equipment: its gonna break eventually.

Dec 3, 2003
SoCal
I usually have my camera on my backback also. Sometimes I put it in my pockets but thats only on flats. I hit a technical section and its back in the bag. Whenever I have my camera I usually ride a little slower and try not to crash. So far so good, camera is still in good shape.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
A lot of my riding buds use hard cases and store them deep in the hydration pack. Ive had spills and its worked pretty well.

dropkick

Chimp
Jul 3, 2004
Colorado
I use the otterbox 8000...perfect size for my A80 and a spare set of batteries. It's held up pretty well so far, and it's waterproof(which is nice for when I crash in the stream crossings....)

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Take your camara to the nearest, cheapest department store and find the best fitting Tuperware type container - then get some bubble wrap and line the inside [lid too]. Bubble wrap is light and thin. Killer protection on the cheap.
Then just throw it in your camelbak and ride. I've done classic endo to back slide down the hill with nary a scratch [to the camara, my back hurt like hell :dead:]

Otters are nice but bulky.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I bought a new digicam recently and just last week ordered a Pelican case to carry it in (should be here today). Pelican cases are similar to Otter in that they're a waterproof hardshell case. I bought the Pelican because they also sell a foam insert that you can customize to fit whatever product you're putting in their box. To me, this was important because its not just the hard falls that can hurt your camera. The vibrations and jarring from just riding along can also mess it up.

Of course, this greatly increases the size of my camera, but I don't care. I'd rather have a well-padded camera that lasts for years than a small hunk of metal that doesn't work.

If I hadn't already bought this setup, I may be inclined to try Budda's bubblewrap suggestion.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Thread is useless w/o pics...
:rolleyes:
... Wait .... Forgot, your camara's broke.

BuddhaRoadkill's suggestion of Bubble wrap sounded good, maybe w/ duct tape...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
ET_SoCal said:
Thread is useless w/o pics...
Here ya go. ;)

This is a pic of my setup. The foam that's around the camera came as one solid piece that had small perforations in it. I simply tore out the middle to fit my camera, then used some of the leftovers to pad the top. Attached the padding with rubber cement.

This case may be a bit of overkill for the size of my camera. Pelican makes one a bit smaller, but like I wrote earlier...better safe than sorry. The external dimensions of this case are around 4.5"x6"x2". It fits perfectly into the external mesh pouch of my Camelbak Mule.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
How do you purchase the Pelican. I can't find a shopping cart/purchase button of any kind? Do you have to find a dealer or something?

Okay I found a site that sells them. They asked me if I wanted pick n pluck foam...Do I need to add this to my cart? I thought you said it already had foam inside???

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
JSB said:
How do you purchase the Pelican. I can't find a shopping cart/purchase button of any kind? Do you have to find a dealer or something?

Okay I found a site that sells them. They asked me if I wanted pick n pluck foam...Do I need to add this to my cart? I thought you said it already had foam inside???
I found the best price from http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/

Sorry for any confusion, but you do need to buy the pick-n-pluck foam insert if you buy one of the Pelican Micro cases. They do come with a thin layer of high-density foam on the inside, but to customize the fit to your camera, you'll need the extra insert.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I gotta say, if I had to get out a case, take the camera out, take pictures, put the camera back in the case, put the case back in the pack..... I'd never take any pictures.

Oh, wait. I don't take pictures, anyway. That's Morryjg's job. He's my photo-bish! :thumb: :D

-S.S.-

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
SkaredShtles said:
Oh, wait. I don't take pictures, anyway. That's Morryjg's job. He's my photo-bish! :thumb: :D

-S.S.-
Lazy bastage. Then for the next couple days after a ride it's nothing but... "do you have the pictures downloaded yet? " then " How about now? " .... then "now?" .... "Hey what about those pictures" :nuts: :think: :)